Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

All of a sudden very windy In west Mayo,after dead calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Flat calm in Mayo, usually a bad sign for somewhere else further south.

Winds will pick up around midnight, but should be mainly moderate for us although they will probably last till after lunchtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Wind increasing around Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Wind is really picking up now near Cork city very strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Rain has stopped here. Winds increasing. NW Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Less rain than I expected but wind strenght ramping over the last hour with stuff been blown around the place. Sound of the wind already sounds like strong storm coastal tide.

130 m asl North Cork / Limerick / Tipperary border.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still pretty calm in Dublin 16 (...calmer than it has been all day). 989.6mb atm, dropping very rapidly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Rain heavy here in Wilton/Bishopstown area of cork City, wind not very strong yet just like a normal breeze ATM with the occasional stronger blast.

EDIT: nevermind, wind just shook the car haha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The sudden increase in windspeed near Galway was amazing. From a breeze to a gale in 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not too bad in Waterford. Rain and breezy with a gust of 57.8km earlier http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Breezy now in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Still pretty calm in Dublin 16 (...calmer than it has been all day). 989.6mb atm, dropping very rapidly now.

Explains my migraine so

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

Not a puff of wind for the last 2 hours. North Clare. Reminds me of the hours before Darwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Looks ready to blast in, the developing centre can be seen on radar just west of Newport. Ocean buoy data from around 49N 16W confirm that strong winds are already underway south of the tighter isobar structure (which has not been sampled yet) and M6 recently gusting to 52 knots but the pressure wave passed them several hours back.

Would expect this to produce a swath of damaging wind gusts to 125 km/hr in exposed areas from Clare and Galway Bay across to Louth, Meath and Dublin, also some distance into east Ulster. However outside of that swath further to the south local gusts could also reach 120 km/hr, although I think it may be less concentrated there.

North of the track of this meso-scale low, winds will remain fairly light until 2-3 hours after it passes then will become moderate northwest backing to west later. Some locally heavy rainfalls in west Ulster 20-30 mm.

Expect this to ramp up very quickly if in the path outlined, with winds veering rapidly from current southerly to WSW at height of windstorm. Duration of strongest winds will be 3-4 hours then a gradual reduction overnight.
    The centre seems to be further North so compared to Met short range models as its off the Clare coast on that. Looks to be intense rain around Mayo from the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Not too breezy here yet in north cork but expected to get wilder between 5-7 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gust of 48 knots at Roches Point and 47 knots at Valentia and Sherkin Island at 4 pm. 42 knots at Kerry Airport at 16.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Heavy rain Meath ........ and can distinctly hear the birds singing. Maybe they would be singing regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

Heavy rain with winds picking up in south kilkenny at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

A little higher now in Kildare with winds 30-40KPH gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very strong gusts in West Clare in the last 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Flat calm in Mayo, usually a bad sign for somewhere else further south.

The strongest gusts will be south of us( roughly in a line from Clare to Meath), bar parts of east Ulster. There will be just light winds here till the system passes through, then it will get windier, but it will likely be a standard windy night for us.
    We might have it windier on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gust of 48 knots at Roches Point and 47 knots at Valentia and Sherkin Island at 4 pm. 42 knots at Kerry Airport at 16.30.

Gust of 45kts at Cork Airport at 16:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭littlema

Constant heavy rain this last 2 hours in S Sligo.... my rainfall gauge is 6mm since 9am. roads flooded and care needed driving through in consideration of others.
    My old fashioned barometer has dropped so much, it's gone round towards Fair. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Very strong gusts here in Kinvara in the last 10 to 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I'm on the north coast of Galway Bay 30km west of Galway city. The gusts that have come in the last 15 minutes are the strongest we've seen around here for quite a while. I don't have an anemometer but it's the first time I've heard my roof tiles banging since the 2013-14 storms.
    Hoping it will pass through quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest from ARPEGE 12Z

tempresult_uhe1.gif

AROME 12Z

tempresult_gcl2.gif

2495_ftw2.png

7846_mme7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

Just got interesting in North Clare in the last 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Winds really ramping up now NW Clare. Just had a look at http://oceanscene.ie/lahinch-webcam/ Cannot believe the eejits that seem to be driving up and down the prom with the water now breaching the walls. Gardaí should be blocking off access.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Cone on Sherkin. Double that just one time for daddy's competition!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 00Z

H4jTsFi.png

YPTnske.png

hrLAxEV.png

Advertisement