Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abstract/paper for conference

Options
  • 01-01-2018 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

ok not a post grad topic per say but related.
    Conference coming up at work..seeking papers/ abstract submissions.
    I've an idea for a paper/project I'd like to explore.
    Can I pen an abstract now and develop research/paper over next 9 months?
    Obviously I've no research or outcomes at this stage.
    Can I use 'expecte d methods and outcomes?
    Basically I'd like to use this opportunity to develop a paper...(keep me focused..)
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

TBH I've never once written an abstract for a finished project or presentation that already exists. It's very much expected (certainly for postgrads) that the project is in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The abstract is typically written at the very end of the research process.

One of the key reasons is that the actual research project may go through a number of iterations/revisions before the actual research is undertaken.

I would contend that doing the abstract before any aspect of the research has been planned or undertaken is putting the cart before the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

But for a conference paper I would say it's par for the course. Many conference presentations are about research in progress, and with a 6-9 month time period between many abstract deadlines and the conference itself if you wait for a project to be completely finished before starting to submit to conferences your project may well be a year or more out of date by the time the conference itself rolls around.

Advertisement