Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding pheasants

Options
  • 01-01-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Myself and my shooting buddy are looking at putting out a few pheasant feeders this year. I have 2 questions. The first being what’s best to fill the feeders with e.g. wheat/ barley and secondly how often would we need to refill a feeder that could hold around 30kg?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

Wheat is best, keep it simple.
    Try and get the Wright feeder attachment, they are much better than the springs, they are wider so less chance of them getting blocked with small bits of straw and stuff like that. Cover them well, use stuff like cut furzz bushes, keeps them hidden from crows etc..
    As regards how often to re fill depends on how many birsd are on the ground , how hard the weather is and most importantly how well you keep it hidden from the crows, if they find a feeder they could empty one in a few days. Just keep an eye on them and fill regularly.
    You would be better off buying a tonne bag of wheat. You should be getting that for around €130/40

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Wheat is best, keep it simple.
    Try and get the Wright feeder attachment, they are much better than the springs, they are wider so less chance of them getting blocked with small bits of straw and stuff like that. Cover them well, use stuff like cut furzz bushes, keeps them hidden from crows etc..
    As regards how often to re fill depends on how many birsd are on the ground , how hard the weather is and most importantly how well you keep it hidden from the crows, if they find a feeder they could empty one in a few days. Just keep an eye on them and fill regularly.
    You would be better off buying a tonne bag of wheat. You should be getting that for around €130/40

Thanks for the reply. I was going to ask what was better Wright or spring but u have already answered that. They will be placed around a friends farm so he said he will keep an eye on them. There’s often a good number of crows around the area we plan on placing the feeders so we might have to do a number on them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

+1 on the Wright feeders. Some of mine are out over 10 years now and never had one blocked.

Does anyone know of somewhere in the north cork area to pick up some wheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

alan86 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of somewhere in the north cork area to pick up some wheat?

Id say glanbia, Your farmer friend should know your local place is

• Advertisement

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Id say glanbia, Your farmer friend should know your local place is

Cheers Tikka391 I should of just thought of asking him

Advertisement