Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of a book...

Options
  • 01-01-2018 9:36pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any chance someone could name this book for me? Couldn't find a 'name that book' type thread.

It's about dragon riders, where the main character see's his first dragon as a kid (i think it was in a circus or fair) and dreams of becoming one himself one day. He does, and goes on to lead a squad of dragons in a war with some other nation. I vaguely remember his friend/girlfriend dies in one fight with a really good enemy dragon squad, but that's about it. There is no magic that i remember, nor any other races.

I realise that may describe about 50 different dragon rider books, but i've had no luck googling it with my description.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Sounds like the legend of huma, one of the dragonlance books.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Huma

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Chris Bunch: Storm of Wings?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well I'll partially hijack your thread Kiith and add another one for identification.

Book starts about a boy genius dreaming about flying. Book quickly moves on to him working on creating a truth machine which can identify if you are lying or not and the first one to produce one will get a grant for millions for worldwide implementation and become a billionaire. Once he created the machine the suicide rate goes up first few years then only to drop as people can't lie any more. He get's screwed over by his partner (the thing was the partner wanted a brutto part of the profit which he'd manipulate the net earnings to take over the company eventually, this is confirmed by recreating his brain at the trial of the genius) who he ends up murdering and to avoid having to admit this he adds a back door that if he things of a specific song it will not register him as lying. He is caught and admits it once his patent is due to run out and is sentenced to be partially stupified through brain surgery or similar making him not being a genius any more but his child then dreams of flying and is as smart as he was previously. There's also a part on how to handle psychopaths which his partner stole from another company which is the blackmailing piece his parter has on him in the final solution implemented. The company he stole it from gets a few percent of shares in his company as compensation and are happy with that. The solution for psychopaths was to simply flag them and ignore that they could lie and not be detected as I recall.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I finally found the book in Chapters (wasn't looking, just noticed it), with a name that makes me wonder how i didn't find it when i was looking :P

13449964.jpg

It's probably terrible, but i remember liking it. Plus, dragons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sorry I didn't see this, knew it instantly from that description :)

I was so-so on it, the author has a writing style that seems very rushed. I like a plot to move forward at a decent pace, but there is a line. Also reminded me a bit of The Black Company books.

• Advertisement
Advertisement