Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Questions

Options
  • 02-01-2018 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, 

I am one of the lucky houses that has had an Eir rural fibre loop appear on the telegraph pole near my house. I had previously arranged an installation to go underground in the ducting beneath my driveway, but it couldn't go ahead due to the duct being blocked, so we opted to nix it for the time being.

The time has now arisen where I need faster internet so I'm willing to go overground but would like some clarification before I place an order. 

1. Can the fibre cable be run from a pole adjacent to the one where the fibre loop (The black box on the telegraph pole that connects the fibre to your house) is placed? As in can the engineers run the cable from the pole where the black Kn networks box is, to the next pole and then from there onto my house. I ask this as the placement of the black fibre box would mean that a direct connection to my house would mean taking the cable in an awkward direction across to the front of my house, and would be horrendously impractical. 

2. Does a FTTH installation allow a normal phone to be plugged into the new fibre network? I ask this because one of the Eir engineers, who works specifically with copper told me the calls would still have to be made over the copper line, but my coppers lines are actually quite bad and frequently break so it would be nice if it could be migrated to the new system. 

Thanks 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oddshapedballs

Nice of the Eir reps to respond. 

• Registered Users Posts: 34 x6tence

if you can go with virgin id suggest that, i had eir and it was horrible

got virgin installed the other day and have consistent speeds of 360mb dl and 36mb upload

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oddshapedballs

x6tence wrote: »
    if you can go with virgin id suggest that, i had eir and it was horrible

got virgin installed the other day and have consistent speeds of 360mb dl and 36mb upload
    Unfortunately I'm out in the country. The only provider here is Eir and it's resellers, so on the balance of having a 1.6Mbps copper connection or a 300Mbps fibre connection from the same people, I would have to opt for the latter

Thanks for the info x6tence, I had Virgin when I was living in the city and I still long for those blistering speeds! 

Advertisement