Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating System in Council House

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Recently moved into a rural village myself. Definitely ask the neighbors about fuel merchants, there are some around that you wouldn't find online or in the Golden pages. Also local Buy and Sell groups, sometimes there are people on there that sell solid fuel quite cheap and do delivery. If not, you can at least ask there.
    The local people are key, they have the knowledge and probably her neighbors will face similar issues I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

LirW wrote: »
    Recently moved into a rural village myself. Definitely ask the neighbors about fuel merchants, there are some around that you wouldn't find online or in the Golden pages. Also local Buy and Sell groups, sometimes there are people on there that sell solid fuel quite cheap and do delivery. If not, you can at least ask there.
    The local people are key, they have the knowledge and probably her neighbors will face similar issues I assume.

FB buy and sell, that's an excellent idea!

Thanks guys, some good alternatives and options for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ShaShaBear wrote:
    Back boiler built in behind a regular fireplace for coal. Neither of us know any more than that. She rang the council and asked would it be possible to get OFCH in and they said what she had was sufficient. I'm more curious in fairness, wasn't sure what qualified as basic heating!

The regulations simply state that the open fire and boiler must have a minimum efficiency of 50 percent.
    There are also minimum insulation standards.

But you're wrong thinking that there should be an alternative source of heating provided. A single form of heating isn't unusual. I like many in Dublin have a house that only has heating and hot water from a Gas boiler.

Just because natural gas is more convenient than solid fuel doesn't make it the councils responsibility. Though I can certainly emphasize when my boiler broke down and I had neither heat nor hot water for a few days.
    Are you sure? I can’t see anything in the regs that backs up your claim , have you a reference?
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,27316,en.pdf

Part l3b states there has to be a renewable source.
    “providing that, for new dwellings, a reasonable proportion of the energy consumption to meet the energy performance of a dwelling is provided by renewable energy sources;”

L3e states “providing that all oil and gas fired boilers shall meet a minimum seasonal efficiency of 90%;”

And 1.2.3 states”In the case of systems based on biofuels or biomass, appliances must be designed to run on these fuels only, i.e. incapable of providing thermal energy from fossil fuels, to be accepted as renewable technology for the purposes of this Regulation. For example, a boiler which could operate on either oil or a biofuel mixture would not be considered to be a renewable technology. Similarly a boiler capable of utilizing coal or peat, in addition to a biomass fuel would not be considered a renewable technology.“

Advertisement