Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Insurance Cancelled

• 02-01-2018 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need some advice on this. My car insurance is paid by monthly dd. Back in August my payment didn't go through and a registered letter was issued to say the policy would be cancelled. I was out of the country at the time so never received the letter and missed the deadline to collect it. Over Christmas I received two letters from the Insurance company to say the policy was cancelled with effect of September (the second one mentioned the renewal date for this year). I have just gotten off the phone from them and apparently they can do nothing for me in terms of reinstating ( I understand this) or selling me a new policy as Ive had no cover for the last 3 months.

Im very upset by this but need to sort it asap. I hold my hands up and take responsibility for not noticing the money not coming out over the last few months with all my other direct debits when Im usually on the ball with my finances. However, I need some practical advice. Am I going to have trouble getting cover now Ive missed out on the last 3 months and I assume my no claims is gone too.
    I don't think I have a leg to stand on with the company however if I had actually received the registered letter or even the cancellation letter closer to the event this situation could have been sorted quicker so Im annoyed too.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

When was the renewal date?

They weren't paid so warned you and then cancelled. August until now is a long time and I think that's the real issue here. Their behavior appears reasonable.

I would think your NCB should be intact, but I'm not sure how other insurers would view a cancellation.

Only thing you can do is ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

When was the renewal date?

They weren't paid so warned you and then cancelled. August until now is a long time and I think that's the real issue here. Their behavior appears reasonable.

I would think your NCB should be intact, but I'm not sure how other insurers would view a cancellation.

Only thing you can do is ask them.

Thanks for your reply. In good news they've just called and sorted it for me. The relief is huge but lesson learned, keep an eye on your direct debits ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mrsberries wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. In good news they've just called and sorted it for me. The relief is huge but lesson learned, keep an eye on your direct debits ;)

Or emails. Because they also send them too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

OP, glad they have sorted you out. However, you still have an enforced cancellation on your record and this must be disclosed to future Insurers you ask for a quote. Missed direct debit is at the lower end of reasons to cancel and shouldn't have any consequences, other than possibly refusing you a direct debit facility

Advertisement