Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flu and pregnancy

Options
  • 02-01-2018 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!

Im in my second trimester and have been hit with the dreaded flu..

is there a point in going to the doc?

60 quid and I'm 99% sure he can't prescribe me anything...

can anyone confirm?:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

If it's the actual flu I would phone the hospital to ask their advice. Flu can be quite dangerous in pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

hmmmm
    ive a stuffy head, sore throat and a blocked nose..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Sounds like you have a cold.

If you start feeling feverish, hot to touch but shivering inside and aches and pains you may well have the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you are pregnant and have the flu, then that is very risky and you need medical advice. If you have fever, muscle pains, sweating, shivering then you may have the flu. Stuffy nose etc is more than likely a bad cold. A trip to a pharmacist is always free and can serve as a good first call.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

I went to gp this morning with the same as you knowing I wouldn't need a prescription, just needed a cert to be off work for couple days and she agreed with me! (I'm a nurse so didn't feel it appropriate to go look after patients sounding like this!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

That sounds like a cold not the flu. If you had the flu you would be floored and in bed, aching from head to toe with other symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

According to the doc from the Matt Cooper show, if there was €50 on the floor beside your bed and you couldn't bend down to pick it up up that's the flu!

Chat with your pharmacist before GP but everyone knows their own body so you'll know best yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

shakencat wrote: »
    hmmmm
    ive a stuffy head, sore throat and a blocked nose..

That's more a cold I think. A flu would have you exhausted in bed with badly aching joints and muscles unable to do a whole lot for a few days. And a slow recovery to boot.
    The concern with something like a cold, which under normal circumstances just works its way out of your system once your immune system gets to grips with it, are the complications with secondary infections that can arise. So you still need to mind yourself. Talk with your pharmacist as they know what can and can't be taken during pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Yeah you've got a cold not the flu. Big difference.
    You can take paracetamol if really struggling but better to avoid if you can. Tea with honey, lemon and ginger is useful. Vicks vaporub at night. Plenty of rest and drink loads of water.

if i wasnt pregnant, i wouldnt go to the doc..

ill give it a few days, im ok once up etc just stuffed head.

dosent help that my mam goes to the doc with a little trickle of a cough so she's in my ear to go spend money on them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

You should be under the maternity scheme so shouldn't have to pay for gp visits. The only time I had to pay gp when pregnant was the flu jab and that was only for the jab didn't have to pay for the visit

snoopy84 wrote: »
    You should be under the maternity scheme so shouldn't have to pay for gp visits. The only time I had to pay gp when pregnant was the flu jab and that was only for the jab didn't have to pay for the visit

nope, rang them and asked, not covered cause its not about the baby:rolleyes:

snoopy84 wrote: »

Not necessarily true.
    I made that mistake during a routine visit while pregnant of asking about congested sinuses during a headcold. My sinus and head cold problems weren't pregnancy related apparently.

"That'll be €55 thank you very much!"

shakencat wrote: »
    nope, rang them and asked, not covered cause its not about the baby:rolleyes:
    Call the local pharmacist. They deal with this type of stuff all the time.

i went to the chemist and got a thermometer, im 36.6 :) seems to be in the safe range !! yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

If you're OK once up that's definitely a cold, if it was the flu up would barely be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Yeah, the fact that you could physically get to a pharmacy is a good indicator that it's not the flu. I had flu twice in my life and I bedridden. I was crying with the pains in my body. It is a horrendous illness that takes weeks to get over. You should look into getting the vaccination.

Yeah, the fact that you could physically get to a pharmacy is a good indicator that it's not the flu. I had flu twice in my life and I bedridden. I was crying with the pains in my body. It is a horrendous illness that takes weeks to get over. You should look into getting the vaccination.

was due to get it in two weeks at my next gp visit :rolleyes::rolleyes:

bad timing haha

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Once you're feeling a bit better, maybe pop in and get it a bit earlier. That aussie flu that's going around is meant to be brutal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I've had a rotten head cold the last few weeks (and takes longer to clear when you're pregnant too).I had the actual flu a couple years ago and I was bedridden.Aching, temperature and literally had to sleep for a good two days before I could function in any way again.Couldn't do anything else.I think you probably just have a bad headcold, but head for GP if you're very unsure :-)

• Advertisement

Hey guys!

Just to let you know (I'm sure you're dying to hear!)

I'm fine, haha..

Not 100% yet, bit of a cough.. but 5x better :)

Thanks for all the replies!

shakencat wrote:
    I'm fine, haha..

Wish I was! On day 8 of sickness here, not fun! Glad to hear your ok though!

ainy wrote: »
    Wish I was! On day 8 of sickness here, not fun! Glad to hear your ok though!

oh no, whats up??

im not better, but i can leave the house now!

shakencat wrote:
    oh no, whats up??

A couģh, completely stuffed up and hoarse voice, only got about 40 mins sleep the other night with the coughing! Seems to be easing a bit as the day has gone on, have been able to leave house too and not been coughing as much. Fingers crossed it doesn't go backwards!

my cough is at bed time too, so annoying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

I got the flu, temperature wasn’t staying down with paracetamol & I started vomiting. Went to maternity & was admitted. They had me in isolation. Baby’s heartrate was dipping but then stabilised. It’s quite serious in pregnancy so I think if you’ve flu check temp, stay hydrated and if in doubt call the maternity.

I’m still coughing but much better after a course of antiviral meds from the hospital. Definitely avoiding crowds for a while as I don’t want to get bad again.

I got the flu shot but if more people did then herd immunity could have better protected me from this dose :’(

Still doctor on radio said the flu shot can literally be the difference between life and death & does offer protection. As it was I was rushed to labour ward in the middle of the night & thought baby was coming out early!

Scariest flu ever!

Advertisement