Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Doors - Recommendations

Options
  • 02-01-2018 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking for recommendations in relation to front doors - both for the type of front door and also any recommendations for companies providing these in Dublin with good quality and decent prices (by PM if necessary).

Are composite doors generally the most popular door type now? The only downside I would see is that you're stuck with one colour, but I suppose this isn't really an issue if you pick the right one in the first place. I presume these are more expensive than upvc doors but less expensive than solid wood? Is there any other pros or cons with using this type of door.

What's the average cost for a new door incl. installation (replacing an existing one) - I know this will vary on a number of factors, but a ballpark figure would be good.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I priced a composite door recently, st just over 3k (can’t remember exactly). Our door has a big panel at either side, and also above the door, if you get me. I think the opening is about 2.5m height by 2.5m width.
    Someone fixed our old door then though. I was a bit sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

We got the Munster Joinery Ultratech door, it's hardwood exterior with a composite material inside the door, it was much cheaper than a full composite door (under 2k) and the benefit of being hardwood is you can paint it whatever colour you want and wood looks nicer too. We couldn't afford paying 2.5k for a full composite door so this was a good option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Arklow10

I would very strongly consider security when purchasing a front door. We were broken into about 5 years via our front door. We had a solid hardwood door with a Yale and mortise lock in place and locked. One morning about 8.00am three guys broke through this door in about 30 secs. Neighbours hear the alarm going off and saw what was happening. Within about 2 minutes they were out of the house, carrying drawers etc.

I really felt the impact of this incident.

I looked at my home security and in particular investigated a suitable replacement front door. After much research including checking with insurance companies, Gardai website and overseas bodies amongst others I installed a security rated door. A beautifully finished door with superb security rating.

There are two main security rated doors:
    EN-1627 (European standard). To comply with this rating a front door must be able to withstand 10 minutes of force using basic hand tools including hammer, crowbar etc.
    The other recognised standard, (UK standard) is PAS 24-2016 (lower standard) , I think it is 3 minutes of been able to withstand the above equipment).

The many manufacturers of doors in Ireland including PVC, composite etc. generally do not manufacture to these standards. They claimed their doors "meet all standards" (whatever that means!) or "guaranteed unbreakable" (no such thing!).
    On the continent the vast majority of doors installed in my research are manufactured to EN-1627.

The relief on my family faces was palpable when our new door installed. I did not fully appreciate how vulnerable they felt at the time.
    The new door looks like any other door externally and internally however...!
    See Gardai link:

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/CP%20Info%20Sheet%20-%20HS2%20-%20Doors%20-%20Feb%2017.pdf

From abour Gardai website "I.S. EN 1627:2011 or the British security
    standard for doors & windows PAS 24-2016 are recommended as these will have been subjected to specific security and burglar resistance test"

Price at the time was about €3k installed. There are a small number of companies installing such doors in Ireland.

Google security rated doors and use the above two security standards for such suppliers.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are bog standard pvc doors not available three days?

Replaced all the windows and the back door a while ago but was quoted nearly as much again for a front door - wood over metal frame etc. It was already double glazed so I left it but now it's really noticeable how cold is.

Entire estate uses white PVC so I see no reason to pay huge money for a pretty door, the house is plug ugly anyway. But everyone tries to push 2.5k+ composite or clad ones

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

L1011 wrote: »
    Are bog standard pvc doors not available three days?

Replaced all the windows and the back door a while ago but was quoted nearly as much again for a front door - wood over metal frame etc. It was already double glazed so I left it but now it's really noticeable how cold is.

Entire estate uses white PVC so I see no reason to pay huge money for a pretty door, the house is plug ugly anyway. But everyone tries to push 2.5k+ composite or clad ones

You can get pvc doors if that's what you want, they are cheaper alright. The composite doors aren't about being pretty, they are more solid, secure with multiple locks points and airtight(if heat loss is an issue). We couldn't quite afford a composite door ourselves either but the pvc door seemed too light and flimsy, we picked the ultratech hardwood door instead, it was more affordable, a good solid door that I'm happy with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My existing door has multiple locking points and I suspect was airtight when installed in 1997; that is all possible with PVC. The back door is PVC and has that, but that supplier didn't do double width PVC doors for whatever reason.

A previous owner drilled holes in the frame which has sort of ruined any airtightness it ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

We got our composite door 2 years ago from Keane windows in Lucan. They have a good range with a nice showroom to look around.
    We paid €3000 for the door with 2 glass panels on either side. That was for a basic Georgian style door with a small semi circle window in it. It's black.
    We're delighted with it. It's very secure and keeps in heat and it looks lovely.

Advertisement