Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darts That Don't Snap?

Options
  • 02-01-2018 3:34pm

Hopefully some of you can help me with this question...

Bought a dartboard for the kids at Christmas. They are loving it, which is good. But of three sets of darts we've bought to date (all Unicorn) three separate darts have already snapped in the shaft in a way that isn't repairable - leaving us with one complete set.

This is after the dart bounces back off a wire and falls to the floor. Call me crazy but I would expect a dart to be manufactured to a standard that anticipates something that happens all the time in a game of darts. I can't remember this being an issue in times gone by, so maybe I have just been unlucky or things have changed?

All that said - any recommendations for darts that are tough and won't keep breaking? They don't have to be good or for advanced players. For the moment it's just a bit of fun. I'd hate to think I have to spend a fortune just to get darts that don't snap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Hopefully some of you can help me with this question...

Bought a dartboard for the kids at Christmas. They are loving it, which is good. But of three sets of darts we've bought to date (all Unicorn) three separate darts have already snapped in the shaft in a way that isn't repairable - leaving us with one complete set.

This is after the dart bounces back off a wire and falls to the floor. Call me crazy but I would expect a dart to be manufactured to a standard that anticipates something that happens all the time in a game of darts. I can't remember this being an issue in times gone by, so maybe I have just been unlucky or things have changed?

All that said - any recommendations for darts that are tough and won't keep breaking? They don't have to be good or for advanced players. For the moment it's just a bit of fun. I'd hate to think I have to spend a fortune just to get darts that don't snap.

When you say shaft, do you mean the stem for holding the flight or the point that goes into the board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

If the shaft snapped and there’s still a bit of the plastic shaft stuck in the barrel -

then heat up a tiny screwdriver with a lighter, stick it into the barrel, leave it for a few seconds then twist the shaft out

statto25 wrote: »
    When you say shaft, do you mean the stem for holding the flight or the point that goes into the board?

Stem for holding the flight. Sorry - not an expert!

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    If the shaft snapped and there’s still a bit of the plastic shaft stuck in the barrel -

then heat up a tiny screwdriver with a lighter, stick it into the barrel, leave it for a few seconds then twist the shaft out

So I should be buying a set of replacement shafts and screwing them in? thanks for that, makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

So I should be buying a set of replacement shafts and screwing them in? thanks for that, makes sense

buy aluminium ones, problem solved for good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Buy nylon shafts, will handle lots of abuse...

http://www.harrowsdarts.com/shafts/nylon

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Aluminium can bend. Nylon ones are cheap. Stems do break and are considered a replacement item.

Advertisement