Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation 2018

Options
  • 02-01-2018 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the series is starting for 2018? Not the celebrity one, the regular one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I would guess Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Isn't that when it generally starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭brian_t

Operation Transformation starts on RTE One at 8:30pm on Tuesday 9th January.

Continues on Wednesday at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It was better before they introduced the sob stories accompanied with floods of tears, it gets more ridiculous every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    It was better before they introduced the sob stories accompanied with floods of tears, it gets more ridiculous every year.

Reality TV right there. The producers have been watching the x factor

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Anyone know when the series is starting for 2018? Not the celebrity one, the regular one.

How do you tell the difference between the two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Jaysis, its so freakin grim. Everyone has a sob story, sick kids, cancer scares and a broken arm nearly an amputation story. That fraud Katherine Thomas is in her element, handing out patronising hugs at every opportunity. Why are the tears of fat people crying over missing their cheesy taco chips and having to walk fast in the wet and dark not good enough anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It would be refreshing to have people on this who are overweight, obese or morbidly obese because they eat absolute crap or huge portions, and who never exercise.

The sob stories are just another excuse.
    Enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I think the leaders will be good this year. They all have additional reasons to want to loose weight. Looking forward to watching it next week when there will hopefully not be just the sob stories

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Will be watching as I always do and best of luck to the leaders as I hope they achieve their goals.  But as mentioned above everyone has a story now that's played up on X Factor style.  I wonder if when applying is there a section on the form that asks you for any traumatic experiences going on in your life?  They probably select their leaders based on that more so than someone who is really obese and needs help with getting their health on track through diet and exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I found the stories while some of them are genuinlely hard to stomach are taking away from the reality that many people are facing being overweight.
    If average overweight people watch this without a story they may feel different even though their weight issues may be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Jaysis, its so freakin grim. Everyone has a sob story, sick kids, cancer scares and a broken arm nearly an amputation story. That fraud Katherine Thomas is in her element, handing out patronising hugs at every opportunity. Why are the tears of fat people crying over missing their cheesy taco chips and having to walk fast in the wet and dark not good enough anymore?
    The sob stories are getting a bit much. While these things are a contributing factor why can't someone just be overweight because they just eat too much without a back story!
    And why oh why do they make them weigh in half naked - completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It was more like an episode of Oprah rather than a weight loss programme with the hard luck stories and the teary eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm normally a fan of OT and how it gets people up and about, brings groups in the community together and gets people more active, even if it's just for walks. Some initiates which have risen from OT have kept going long after the cameras stop rolling. However for most people as soon as OT stops on TV, people slip back into their old ways, I wish there were even monthly hour long specials throughout the year with progress reports and updates and reminders.

However all the leaders on this year's show have a sob story. I do feel for them, and it does show that life events can have a knock on affect on your mental and physical health - but it seems that the leaders were picked largely because of their stories. Did the producers feel they couldn't not put these people through cos their backgrounds were so heart wrenching and they really needed the programs help? In fairness I didn't know that cancer could have such a continual effect on your health even after treatment.

It just would have been a bit more balanced and relatable if they have ordinary people with no big story behind them. Eg one half of a married couple in 30s/40s, both working full time, juggling kids, extra circular activities, commute, time poor etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Moved from main Television forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It's a bit too much of a sob story for me in fairness. What happened to people who are just fat, lazy and eat shite? imo they should be the ones on it

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'm normally a fan of OT and how it gets people up and about, brings groups in the community together and gets people more active, even if it's just for walks. Some initiates which have risen from OT have kept going long after the cameras stop rolling. However for most people as soon as OT stops on TV, people slip back into their old ways, I wish there were even monthly hour long specials throughout the year with progress reports and updates and reminders.

However all the leaders on this year's show have a sob story. I do feel for them, and it does show that life events can have a knock on affect on your mental and physical health - but it seems that the leaders were picked largely because of their stories. Did the producers feel they couldn't not put these people through cos their backgrounds were so heart wrenching and they really needed the programs help? In fairness I didn't know that cancer could have such a continual effect on your health even after treatment.

It just would have been a bit more balanced and relatable if they have ordinary people with no big story behind them. Eg one half of a married couple in 30s/40s, both working full time, juggling kids, extra circular activities, commute, time poor etc.
    Or the one who’s mother died 12 years ago, it’s time to move on already. Sometimes the stories are exaggerated like the man with the broken arm from a sports injury and it almost needed to to be amputated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I've said it before and ill say it again, Kathryn Thomas could do with a bit of a feeding. I've seen more meat in a supermacs snackbox.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I've said it before and ill say it again, Kathryn Thomas could do with a bit of a feeding. I've seen more meat in a supermacs snackbox.

She’s fairly plump this year ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Lol true, but her face still looks like she's skeletors twin sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Lol true, but her face still looks like she's skeletors twin sister.

Shes a minging hound of a yoke.

• Advertisement

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Shes a minging hound of a yoke.

Is that good or bad?

I haven't a clue what it means

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Having an addiction to food and drink is a hardship and a backstory in itself, I am 16 stone and have man tits, giving up junk food for me is like someone going off cigarettes. That clown from Cork was talking about drinking 4 cans of drink a day, I've had days when I've drunk 8.

Then there was that woman from Louth or somewhere, she was talking about how she doesn't have the confidence to go to a job interview yet she has the confidence to go on a live tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

she is quite obviously pregnant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

I've always been a massive fan of the show. I don't really know how I feel about this years leaders. There are a lot of sob stories that are obviously very sad, but not really needed for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

KT looks gaunt & that lipstick does her no favors

There's too much crying going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

There's too much crying going on.

Was just going to post that, even the nutritionist is crying now....at the drop of a hat! I’m actually muting KT’s annoying shouty voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Eddie has a comb over to match Trump

That is a seriously impressive weight loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Eddie has a comb over to match Trump

He does talk some s**t. No one likes pics of themselves especially if they are half naked!

Advertisement