Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding tonight 2nd Jan

Options
  • 02-01-2018 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Merchants road is closed.
    Flood Street is bad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

biko wrote: »
    Merchants road is closed.
    Flood Street is bad

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/948256345333161984

Looks bad enough alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

26168936_10154541992829364_3002840510134343701_n.jpg?oh=a857aedd86733daa0e05c42d87d883e1&oe=5AF56CF1
    The Latin Quarter Galway pic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Water levels in the city highest for 25 years;

https://twitter.com/floodingireland/status/948268884322381825

Some suicidal driving along the Prom earlier:eek:
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1551037168309402&id=100002094000625

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Aren't there supposed to be barriers on the Spanish Arch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Another embarrassment for the city council and planners, it shouldn’t be that hard to have a adequate drainage system in place, over all it’s not that powerful of a storm but because of inadequatancy of our greedy (un) elected representatives it’s ,aide out to be a lot ,ore devastating. Shop street our
    Was covered in large pools of inpasable water at lunch time today. This is simply not good enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

flazio wrote: »
    Aren't there supposed to be barriers on the Spanish Arch?

From the vids I saw the inflatable thing is up! Might have been way worse without? Who knows.

Dominic St looks like it was flooded from the canal, and it came down the lane at the back of Róisín and by the playground. Wonder if they screwed up the loughs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

inisboffin wrote: »
    From the vids I saw the inflatable thing is up! Might have been way worse without? Who knows.

Dominic St looks like it was flooded from the canal, and it came down the lane at the back of Róisín and by the playground. Wonder if they screwed up the loughs?

If they closed gates on the weir, which they normally do when a storm surge is forecast, more water will go down the Eglinton Canal, but not enough to cause that flooding - look at the drop in levels with the lock gate behind the Roisin and the weir beside the fishery watchtower. This was all a highish spring tide at the worst possible time, coinciding with a big storm surge driven in by the westerly wind. The water will back up the canal and overtop the banks. The extra water coming down the canal won't help but is not the cause of the flooding, and if they didn't close gates there would be a huge amount more water coming down the river which would certainly be a problem at high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Another embarrassment for the city council and planners, it shouldn’t be that hard to have a adequate drainage system in place, over all it’s not that powerful of a storm but because of inadequatancy of our greedy (un) elected representatives it’s ,aide out to be a lot ,ore devastating. Shop street our
    Was covered in large pools of inpasable water at lunch time today. This is simply not good enough

Flooding got to your keyboard by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Zzippy wrote: »
    If they closed gates on the weir, which they normally do when a storm surge is forecast, more water will go down the Eglinton Canal, but not enough to cause that flooding - look at the drop in levels with the lock gate behind the Roisin and the weir beside the fishery watchtower. This was all a highish spring tide at the worst possible time, coinciding with a big storm surge driven in by the westerly wind. The water will back up the canal and overtop the banks. The extra water coming down the canal won't help but is not the cause of the flooding, and if they didn't close gates there would be a huge amount more water coming down the river which would certainly be a problem at high tide.

Yeah I just saw a video from a friend in which the canal looked exceptionally high above the back of the Róisín - a level I've never seen before, so I guess it is a combination like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They have massive sea walls/dykes and pumps. But in Ireland we won't let sea walls be built as they ruin the view of the people who are going to be flooded!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Care to offer any guidance on how the council could have better dealt with the highest water levels recorded since records began 25 years ago? I don’t see anything constructive in your rant.

People would take your posts serious if you offered something other than a pop at the council.

Whatever they did to piss you off must be life threatening for you to dedicate your life to your cause, or did you once mention they didn’t reply to one of your many complaint letters?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Care to offer any guidance on how the council could have better dealt with the highest water levels recorded since records began 25 years ago? I don’t see anything constructive in your rant.

People would take your posts serious if you offered something other than a pop at the council.

Indeed - remembering that the challenge is to stop the sea from being pushed up over the banks / walls etc, not just to take rainfall away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There'a floodmap kept by the OPW :http://www.floodmaps.ie

But it doesn't look accurate. I noticed that Kinvara flooded too this time, which from what I understand is a first in a few years after local took matters into their own hands and built trenches to funnel the water back out.

At this stage, I'm wondering where isn't at risk of this kind of flooding.

From reports, it's looking like this has flooded Galway City, Oranmore, Clarinbridge and Kinvara...at least. I would image it would have flooded part of Kilcolgan and maybe Ballindereen too considering their proximity to both.

Anybody else got more info on where has flooded and where hasn't?

Indeed - remembering that the challenge is to stop the sea from being pushed up over the banks / walls etc, not just to take rainfall away.

Plenty of city’s around the world have higher water levels than we do. Remember water levels and rain fall are differant. No excuse for large puddles of water on shop street any time it rains

by stopping the sea going over the bar the water get redirected elsewhere. Any guesses on where it went? Consultants very paid a lot of money for their expertise’s on water management

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Subtle

My two cents... I do think the council needs to take some responsibility, mostly for the unnecessary damage caused to cars on the prom and in the car parks there. It was near certain last night that there would be flooding today in these areas, and yet the county council did not think it prudent to close off the areas or at least put up warning signs that flooding was expected.

I think it's understandable and acceptable that some people were not aware of the weather warning - however, it is not acceptable that the county council might not have been aware of it and did not take appropriate measures. A load of cars were unnecessarily submerged in the car parks this evening and other cars trapped trying to drive the prom. Yeah, I know, foolish and all that, but the car parks and prom road should have been closed off well before high tide. It actually took a good half an hour before the guards, not the council, actually went about closing off the road after the flooding started. At that stage it was too late and the delay almost resulted in a more serious incident after an oldish lady got trapped in her car on the prom.

It's also very frustrating seeing people returning to their cars after work only to find that they're destroyed when the council and the man on the street here knew that flooding was almost a certainty. This damage and potential risk to life was entirely avoidable had the council acted on the weather warnings, rather than waiting and seeing, and then sending crews out only afterwards to clean up...

Sorry, rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That so called barrier at the Spanish Arch was a joke it was bobbing around in the high water , the tide came into the docks across the road flooding all the area up to Domnick Street, the Claddagh, Munster Ave, the Spanish Arch and so on, that barrier is useless.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    There'a floodmap kept by the OPW :http://www.floodmaps.ie

But it doesn't look accurate. I noticed that Kinvara flooded too this time, which from what I understand is a first in a few years after local took matters into their own hands and built trenches to funnel the water back out.

At this stage, I'm wondering where isn't at risk of this kind of flooding.

From reports, it's looking like this has flooded Galway City, Oranmore, Clarinbridge and Kinvara...at least. I would image it would have flooded part of Kilcolgan and maybe Ballindereen too considering their proximity to both.

Anybody else got more info on where has flooded and where hasn't?

Kinvara has flooded recently (Ophelia) and on other occasions in the past. The quayside area is prone to it. As seen in Clarinbridge, Oranmore and Galway this evening, when you get a storm surge into the bay it gets funnelled higher as the bay narrows and low-lying coastal areas will flood, very little you can do about it.
    Subtle wrote: »
    My two cents... I do think the council needs to take some responsibility, mostly for the unnecessary damage caused to cars on the prom and in the car parks there. It was near certain last night that there would be flooding today in these areas, and yet the county council did not think it prudent to close off the areas or at least put up warning signs that flooding was expected.

I think it's understandable and acceptable that some people were not aware of the weather warning - however, it is not acceptable that the county council might not have been aware of it and did not take appropriate measures. A load of cars were unnecessarily submerged in the car parks this evening and other cars trapped trying to drive the prom. Yeah, I know, foolish and all that, but the car parks and prom road should have been closed off well before high tide. It actually took a good half an hour before the guards, not the council, actually went about closing off the road after the flooding started. At that stage it was too late and the delay almost resulted in a more serious incident after an oldish lady got trapped in her car on the prom.

It's also very frustrating seeing people returning to their cars after work only to find that they're destroyed when the council and the man on the street here knew that flooding was almost a certainty. This damage and potential risk to life was entirely avoidable had the council acted on the weather warnings, rather than waiting and seeing, and then sending crews out only afterwards to clean up...

Sorry, rant over!

I think I read that the entrance to the car park was cordoned off on Saturday morning before Storm Dylan but people were driving in the exit to park. There is only so much the local authority can do - they haven't the resources to tow cars to safety. People need to take some personal responsibility. Too many people go around all day without once listening to a news report or weather forecast on the radio or tv - remaining oblivious to current affairs is one thing, but you're going to miss vital public service announcements and warnings if you want to keep your head in the clouds.

For one they could have issued some warnings early on rather than putting one out on Facebook at 6:56pm warning people of high tides and flooding from 5-6pm. That alone shows what a joke they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I think I read that the entrance to the car park was cordoned off on Saturday morning before Storm Dylan but people were driving in the exit to park

I saw this happen myself.

There comes a point when people need to take personal responsibility for their actions. There was a well notified orange weather warning in place. Parking your car in a closed car park that's likely to flood during an orange weather warning is just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

For one they could have issued some warnings early on rather than putting one out on Facebook at 6:56pm warning people of high tides and flooding from 5-6pm. That alone shows what a joke they are.

Threats of flooding on Atlantic coasts were forecast by Met Eireann today.

• Advertisement

And many people may not have seen met eireanns warning. A lot of the reports on the storm were down playing it and unless you were checking met.ie there wasn't a whole lot about it beyond the usual reporting. Neither the Irish Independent or Times had it as their top story and there was no real information in the article. Even if it was all over the place, the council should still have put something out before it began. Or do you think issuing a warning 1 hour and 56 minutes after it began is acceptable?

The met eireann warning was for south Galway and not many would class the city as bring in the south of the county. The council messed HP due to woeful communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Subtle wrote: »

Sorry, rant over!

For fear you dont know or haven't heard, worse flooding and higher tides are forecast in the morning. This should give you ample time to park the car on the prom and feature on Rte news like that clown in the chequered roof mini.

I think I read that the entrance to the car park was cordoned off on Saturday morning before Storm Dylan but people were driving in the exit to park. There is only so much the local authority can do - .

So they closed off the entrance barrier but not the barrier right beside, couldn’t make this up!! Basel faulty isn’t a patch on on our local authority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

So they closed off the entrance barrier but not the barrier right beside, couldn’t make this up!! Basel faulty isn’t a patch on on our local authority

If they hadn't left the exit open, how would the cars parked there get out as the owner's that took heed of the weather warning moved them out of harm's way?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,602 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

High water is 5.39am in the morning, will be 4.97 metres.

facepalm.jpg?w=584&h=344

Anyone relying on the council for information on the weather is an idiot.

The council has a set of requirements to fulfil in the event of adverse weather conditions. Being the source of up to the minute info is not one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭roshje

Anyone relying on the council for information on the weather is an idiot.

The council has a set of requirements to fulfil in the event of adverse weather conditions. Being the source of up to the minute info is not one of them

Do Galway Co. Council have email or text alert system for adverse weather conditions? Cork Co. Council do and it works quite well once you are signed up to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement