Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding tonight 2nd Jan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Ahh, ffs. Hopefully someone who knows her can get to her an explain what she's doing to both her insurance chances and employability. You'd expect someone that age to have more sense by now ...

She needs a proper kick up the arse for that carry-on.
    And the clowns diving off the pier during last years storm should've got the same.
    Imbeciles... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

How can people give that much of a crap about yer one with the mini?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Arghus wrote: »

Because she's stealing the limelight from the true craic merchant/political commentator! No cars or Mannions were harmed in this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Arghus wrote: »

Exactly. If she wants to wreck her own car off with her...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Anybody know when the Canal Lock on the Eglinton Canal (behind the Bierhouse House/Parkavara) is to be re-installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Insurance and Safety me arse. Jaysus you people would have us live in such a boring sterile robotic world! She did it and it was fun to watch.
    C'est tout. No regrets!

She might have a few regrets next time a mechanic looks at that car!
    I doubt the few quid she got for the newspaper interview will cover the corrosive damage but looking at how fast she drove through the water she obviously thinks God will protect any metal parts in the car too! She's not the sharpest tool in the box....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

"Yesterday was like a walk in the park, fire is much more harmful than water, you just need to respect the water and it will respect you."
    Quote from her in the Independent.
    As ironic a sentense as has ever been said.
    Putting your life and possibly the lives of those who may have to rescue is about as irresponsible as it gets.
    She may respect the water( although I fail to see how) but she sure as hell doesn't respect the poor souls she'd be calling to get her out.

I can only hope there's some clause in her insurance that voids it, if you act in a wreckless manner. I'd certainly feel safer with her off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Re. MiniGirl - She'll have some craic when it comes to trying to sell it. Some article (independent.ie?) had a pic of her with the car.... reg in full view!)

Was browsing pics / vids of the flooding, looked terrible. Made me glad I was 8000 mile away on a beach :pac:

-Edit- Here we go - 06D120706 - Maybe don't buy this when it appears on DoneDeal!
    tTtHb4n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, I saw the thread you started in Motors, John, also there with the reg number provided so it will show up in google. One-man crusader you are..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

biko wrote: »
    Yes, I saw the thread you started in Motors, John, also there with the reg number provided so it will show up in google. One-man crusader you are..

Sorry for peeing in your Cornflakes this Morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Re. MiniGirl - She'll have some craic when it comes to trying to sell it. Some article (independent.ie?) had a pic of her with the car.... reg in full view!)

Was browsing pics / vids of the flooding, looked terrible. Made me glad I was 8000 mile away on a beach :pac:

-Edit- Here we go - 06D120706 - Maybe don't buy this when it appears on DoneDeal!
    tTtHb4n.jpg

It’s a 12 year old Mini. It was worth the sum total of F all whether she drove it through a flood or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I, too, am jealous that another millennial dumb-ass owns a nicer cars than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Totally agree. Very discomforting reading the amount of negative picky comments about this bit of craic.
    We were all young once...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Totally agree. Very discomforting reading the amount of negative picky comments about this bit of craic.
    We were all young once...

You're easily put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

She has way more brain power than those controlling the river. It's amazing that, in a City by the sea, the authorities have no understanding of tides.

Discodog wrote: »
    She has way more brain power than those controlling the river. It's amazing that, in a City by the sea, the authorities have no understanding of tides.

Here we go again

Here we go again

Probably yes because the same mistakes will be made over & over again. It wasn't an especially bad storm, we knew it was coming, the weather models were pretty accurate, we knew that the surge would coincide with high tide.

There was plenty of time to open the weir & let as much water down as possible prior to the high tide. As the tide stopped the flow the weir needed to be closed for an hour until the tide started to subside.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Why is everywhere flooding now?-- Never happened years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

decky1 wrote: »
    Why is everywhere flooding now?-- Never happened years ago?

Can you spell "climate change "?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The last few pages of this thread and snarky comments like this are the main reason why I and so many others avoid this forum.

Can you post politely ? 3.5 cm per decade since the 1990's isn't the cause of the recent flooding. The prime cause in an usual coincidence of events & the actions of those controlling the river.

We don't let people take responsibility because they aren't very good at it. So we have regulations, controls etc. We have dozens of illuminated speed signs so why not have a sign each end of the prom that can be triggered remotely. Anyone passing the sign gets a fine in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

bit harsh, bit of a sore head have we, was only enquiring.:rolleyes:

Discodog, may I suggest that you check the earlier posts in the thread. You have a lack of understanding of some of the more important details of this event. I say this purely to inform you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The prime cause in an usual coincidence of events & the actions of those controlling the river.

River management caused a king tide combined with high winds from a particular angle.

That's an interesting suggestion. Do you have any links to support it?

Discodog, may I suggest that you check the earlier posts in the thread. You have a lack of understanding of some of the more important details of this event. I say this purely to inform you

I have read the thread. If closing the weir floods the canal then clearly that is a major fault of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I have read the thread. If closing the weir floods the canal then clearly that is a major fault of the system.

Closing the weir does not flood the canal. When all the gates are open, the level in the canals is lowered as the level upstream of the weir falls, when gates are closed levels return to normal, within the capacity of the canal. The spring tide and storm surge combined to flood the city, not the operation of the weir.

River management caused a king tide combined with high winds from a particular angle.

That's an interesting suggestion. Do you have any links to support it?

As usual your desire to make your post caustic & witty spoils your point.

The tide height was high but the same tides happen during the year.

From what I have been told by people that were there, most of the damage was caused by river water not seawater.

This wasn't like the previous big storm. There wasn't major damage to sea defences. The wave strength wasn't especially high.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Closing the weir does not flood the canal. When all the gates are open, the level in the canals is lowered as the level upstream of the weir falls, when gates are closed levels return to normal, within the capacity of the canal. The spring tide and storm surge combined to flood the city, not the operation of the weir.

I live by the sea & the overtopping was nothing compared to previous storms which didn't flood the city. There hasn't been the damage to coastal defences like before.

So why did the city flood so badly when the conditions weren't as bad as previous storms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I live by the sea & the overtopping was nothing compared to previous storms which didn't flood the city. There hasn't been the damage to coastal defences like before.

So why did the city flood so badly when the conditions weren't as bad as previous storms?

One of the main reasons is because the storm centre passed very close to Galway at the time, low pressure allows the sea to become higher especially with the pull of the full moon that evening. so given all these conditions with the wind, the moon, an extremely high tide and the low pressure system you had the perfect storm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement