Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf price chitchat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mf240 wrote: »
    Is this true. Will mart get someone to collect them.

The vegans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

whelan2 wrote: »
    The vegans?
    :D
    No the knackery or a dealer ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

There was one fella dropped in 30, five week old calves waving thin. The mart wer around to try to pawn them off on some victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭kk.man

Pidae.m wrote: »
    1900 calves in Bandon. Absolutely on the floor. About 100 calves that got no bid were left in the mart. Refused to be brought back home.

That's bad form imo. The V's love stuff like this.

A farmer has to take the Good with the bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The local mart here is beside an nct center. A friend was in with his car last week at 8pm. Mart pens were still full of roaring hungry calves. Given that a lot don’t feed a calf before a sale because they look better and move better through the ring it’s a long fast on the poor little buggers.

Willfarman wrote: »
    The local mart here is beside an nct center. A friend was in with his car last week at 8pm. Mart pens were still full of roaring hungry calves. Given that a lot don’t feed a calf before a sale because they look better and move better through the ring it’s a long fast on the poor little buggers.

A calf never leaves my yard hungry. I assumed most other farmers did the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

kk.man wrote: »

Needs to be department officials doing spot checks to cut out this messing, fines to sfp and revoking bord bia status would focus these pricks minds fairly quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Should there be some sort of levy on milk sales to deal with the crisis. Doesn't take much to ruin an industry. Sucklers seem more viable atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ah Will they'll look far worse with an empty stomach in the ring.

You'd see the calves jumping around after getting a feed.
    Something tells me you don't sell many calves.

• Advertisement

We always do anyways.
    Neighbours machine is going before their calves go too.

Ah shur we must be in the minority...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JoeCasey

Why don't they sell the calves at 10 days if they don't want to feed them.

Oddly as it sounds that is common practice. I was reared on the calf business as a child. A full calf is dull and lethargic in the ring compared to one that missed its . It’s not a welfare problem in the normal course of events. Morning sale and home to a few liters of electolite or milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Calves fed this morning before leaving at 10.30 for the mart. Wouldn't dream of leaving them off without their bellies full

Calves fed this morning before leaving at 10.30 for the mart. Wouldn't dream of leaving them off without their bellies full

What lot number did you get?

Oddly as it sounds that is common practice. I was reared on the calf business as a child. A full calf is dull and lethargic in the ring compared to one that missed its . It’s not a welfare problem in the normal course of events. Morning sale and home to a few liters of electolite or milk.

Explain how I was getting e120 e130 for fr bulls that were dull and lethargic so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tanko wrote: »
    Are you saying that farmers just abandoned their calves at the mart and went home? What happened to the calves?

Heard my father say similar happened back in the 70’s,l
    He was sent to sell 2 calves for his father, got on well & looking forward to the praise when he got home
    When he got home there were 5 calves in the trailer, didn’t get the reaction he hoped

What lot number did you get?

You'd have to ask the man who drew the calves for me

Explain how I was getting e120 e130 for fr bulls that were dull and lethargic so?

They were square big calves assuredly. What do you want a spoon of jam? Where did I say all farmers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

What do you want a spoon of jam?

:D:D:D

They were square big calves assuredly. What do you want a spoon of jam? Where did I say all farmers?

Ah you're backpeddling now.

Pity I can't really post what I want to now.
    But I've been warned by the mods not to get personal.

So I'll just post it rhymes with down and mobshyte and Nick in the coal.

• Advertisement

Ah you're backpeddling now.

Pity I can't really post what I want to now.
    But I've been warned by the mods not to get personal.

So I'll just post it rhymes with down and mobshyte and Nick in the coal.

I second that

I second that

You can give the expert the Nick in the coal after me.

I’ve backpeddled none, my posts haven’t been edited? Sorry I hurt your feeling petals . The ability to read clearly is a life skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JoeCasey

Come on guys! we've all had a drink.

Sold 5 calves this evening anyway just to get the thread back on track. 1 Norwegian Red bull 90 euro. 1 Angus bull 130. 3 Herefords price to be confirmed yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

There's a significant welfare issue being created by some here, and this dumping of calves will become a blight on the industry if left unchecked. There has been some incredibly irresponsible expansion...housing, slurry storage, fodder, calf rearing facilities....NB, I said some..

I think it would do the industry a service if the dairy farmer was compelled to keep the bull calves for at least 3 weeks...

I’ve backpeddled none, my posts haven’t been edited? Sorry I hurt your feeling petals . The ability to read clearly is a life skill.

You've stated that the majority of calves going to a Mart are not fed before they go.

You've been replied to by me and Whelan that this is not the case and whelans post has now many thanks in agreement (I assume).

So I ask you why you think that or how did you come to the conclusion that the majority of calves are not fed prior to going to a Mart.

You've stated that the majority of calves going to a Mart are not fed before they go.

You've been replied to by me and Whelan that this is not the case and whelans post has now many thanks in agreement (I assume).

So I ask you why you think that or how did you come to the conclusion that the majority of calves are not fed prior to going to a Mart.

Your man is only being a prick. Better off ignoring him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,132 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

alps wrote: »
    There's a significant welfare issue being created by some here, and this dumping of calves will become a blight on the industry if left unchecked. There has been some incredibly irresponsible expansion...housing, slurry storage, fodder, calf rearing facilities....NB, I said some..

I think it would do the industry a service if the dairy farmer was compelled to keep the bull calves for at least 3 weeks...

I think it should be even longer they should be at least 12 weeks and 80+kg by the mart scales otherwise they should go back home. The scales should be calibrated before every mart to prevent messing

Slava Ukrainii

How am I supposed to converse against childish profanities? . I wouldnt say the majority but a significant percentage. And it’s no harm if the calf (unless it’s a soft calf) is home with buyer in a reasonable time frame. My crux is with calves in a draughty concrete floored pen for 10 + hours.

• Advertisement

You've been replied to by me and Whelan that this is not the case and whelans post has now many thanks in agreement (I assume

I dont think boards can be used as a representation of farmers tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think it should be even longer they should be at least 12 weeks and 80+kg by the mart scales otherwise they should go back home. The scales should be calibrated before every mart to prevent messing
    Plus at that age one get a better chance to see how square they really are. Good idea.

Good idea but hard to see any td or organisation putting that into legislation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Don't think the shippers would want calves that big.

How am I supposed to converse against childish profanities? . I wouldnt say the majority but a significant percentage. And it’s no harm if the calf (unless it’s a soft calf) is home with buyer in a reasonable time frame. My crux is with calves in a draughty concrete floored pen for 10 + hours.

There's no childish profanities in the above message you're replying to.
    So that's deflection. :rolleyes:

Willfarman you haven't a clue what has happened to that calf before it's arrived at the sale. So to post otherwise as all knowing is bullsh1t.

All I know as a calf rearer is that my calves are fed before sale. My neighbours are fed before sale. Whelan's are fed before sale and I expect most posters here are fed before sale.
    And do you know why I expect that it's common practice is that a fed calf looks better and sells better than a hollow, tired looking calf. And they will look that way if not fed.

You seemingly don't sell calves or calve cows yourself. So you probably are not that clued in on calf rearing. But if a calf misses a feeding in the morning. Come ten o clock they'll be roaring the place down. I was at a few calf sales so far this year in enniscorthy. There didn't seem to be many roaring the place down at 10 or 11 or maybe even 12 for that matter.
    As for the pens I think you're missing the straw bedding provided there.

I'll agree they should be in and out in the quickest time possible.
    Calf hauliers getting the front entrance when entering and jumping the que ahead of farmers don't help though.

My original post referred to 8pm not 8 am. And the calves weren’t on a straw bed according to my friend who crossed the fence because lights were still on and calves were roaring. A 3 week old calf sold at 11 to 1 o’clock that missed its morning feed isn’t going to be at all hollow, and is easier to move and is more alert looking and livlier in the ring. It’s a non issue.

My original post referred to 8pm not 8 am. And the calves weren’t on a straw bed according to my friend who crossed the fence because lights were still on and calves were roaring. A 3 week old calf sold at 11 to 1 o’clock that missed its morning feed isn’t going to be at all hollow, and is easier to move and is more alert looking and livlier in the ring. It’s a non issue.

Well I'm telling you it will be hollow because that'll be probably 18 hours without a feed. So definitely won't be lively and alert looking.
    I see it with my own calves fed here at 7am and the journey in and by the time they are being sold at 12 or 1 the good is going out of them.
    Can't understand where you're getting this lively from a non fed calf.

I don't know about the situation above but as well from other reports in this thread there'll be dept officials now if not already at sales in future.
    I'd welcome that.

a department official after 4pm will be watching judge Judy. A fed calf is initially full of the joys of spring, then he’s dopey and after a trip in the trailer oft times puts a nice yellow shutter on his comrade. The calf that’s just loaded in the morning gets the early lot numbers, sucks any hand that’s put in front of him and is through the ring with ease. That was my experience not that many years ago and I doubt much has changed. And I wouldn’t see it as a slight on a farmer at all. I am happy to agree to disagree and christen you mentally rather than misspell profanities. The ignore button is available to us both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

Plenty of lads here could do with emptying the bag!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

1900 calves in Bandon. Absolutely on the floor. About 100 calves that got no bid were left in the mart. Refused to be brought back home.

If the above is true then it shows the contempt that some lads have for there stock and the industry in general. Abandoning suck calves at a sale is nothing short of a welfare crisis, are some lads that oblivious to the vegan do good brigade and the media sensation they'll make of the above. I've long come to the conclusion that agriculture as a whole is being phased out in this country but ****e hawking like this is only playing into the hands of our detractors.

I'm well aware of how marts operate and that they'll always be stock lying about for various reasons but a mart is no place for a suckling calf for any great length of time. Strong cattle will survive fine on some roughage and a drink for a few days but looking at a yard of 100 bawling sucks and no place to go with them isn't going to make happy viewing. The dairy industry and it's "advisors" has brought this on themselves imo, expansion is the buzz word at all costs and let every other gob****e clean up the resulting mess and be glad of supporting the strive for more and more "white gold". There's lots of good hardworking men and women in every facet of Irish agriculture but there's heaps of other selfish pricks who race from one Teagasc inspired ego trip to the next without any thoughts as to the impact on everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,132 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If calves or any animal are.not sold in a mart they are still the responsibility of tge owner. It up to him to arrange where they go next. Too many lads think they are too smart. Registering calves older than they are, under feeding calves to get them to the 10 day old to sell them.
    I imagine that they are heading for Abrakebabra at the moment

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Macroom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Fed calves here at 6 this morning left yard at 8:15

Same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Macroom?

Enniscorthy I’d say

• Advertisement

simx wrote: »
    Fed calves here at 6 this morning left yard at 8:15

Calves going here today. 3 of them are currently racing across the yard like they are in Cheltenham

Plus at that age one get a better chance to see how square they really are. Good idea.

They’d want to be getting a premium price though as you wouldn’t be long getting fed up of feeding calves that length of time to lose money.

Plenty of lads here could do with emptying the bag!
    Pr a good feed as it will make then dull and lethgaric 😀😀😀

I was reared on the calf business as a child.

I hope you didn't work on the farm I'm thinking of that ended up in the courts for animal welfare and then he buggered off to Africa. :o:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

15 bulls sold have another 16 that are been genotyped or not old enough with price on offer I’m not selling instead I’m going to keep 70/75 calves and sell remaining angus calves to be born from this week on angus will come into more money and I’ll be finished calf rearing by early May .always keep 10 fr bulls anyway for breeding and as teasers

• Advertisement
Advertisement