Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf price chitchat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Willfarman wrote: »
    A wet spring and milk price of less than 20 cent
    is all that will cure their belligerence!

It would only make us dig in harder :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Have the worst calves in the mart and they are in last, what could possibly go wrong. The dealers will be mad to fill the trailers I'd imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    Have the worst calves in the mart and they are in last, what could possibly go wrong. The dealers will be mad to fill the trailers I'd imagine!

Mine were number 73. The auctioneer was so slow.

aa bull 100
    aa heifer 100
    small aa heifer 30
    over 100 calves in Ardee which would be a massive sale for there, not enough buyers there. Was a few lovely fr heifer calves, genuine stock think the best made 270 . wh bulls to 320- which imo was madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    aa bull 100
    aa heifer 100
    small aa heifer 30
    over 100 calves in Ardee which would be a massive sale for there, not enough buyers there. Was a few lovely fr heifer calves, genuine stock think the best made 270 . wh bulls to 320- which imo was madness.

Getting late in the year for fr heifers. Saw 6 smashing wh bulls bought in Bandon y/day. Great length and square must be a month old. Think he said avg 280 including fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Or else breed calves that have an economic beef value. Nobody expects 100% of calves to have an economic value however if the bobby calf number hit much above 1-2%% ( that is about 30k+ calves) I can see it staring to be an issue. If the numbers start to hit 10-15% in the region of 150-200k calves there will be huge issues for the dairy industry IMO. It would be very easy to hit that number by the dairy industry getting careless and a poor beef price as at present. If your prediction is right next year such calf numbers could hit 50k+. When you start to talk about numbers like that it gets hairy.

This is mainly a dairy industry issue not a beef industry issue. As well it may only be the farmers producing these calves that get hit. The government could put a levy on slaughtered calves to prevent it or even the EU or some processors could stop collecting milk from producers who slaughter a large percentage of calves. Such producer's would then have to find another milk processors and I am sure there would be some processors willing to process it but the milk price could be 3-10c/L below the industry norm. The government,the PLC's and the Co-op's will do what ever it takes to keep the show on the road.

Would this lady make the pay-grade, off a planned cull but to go with this blue bull accross the herd you’d be asking for trouble

4 calves in local sale. Aa bull just under 3 weeks €220. Aa heifer 5 weeks old 185. Fr bull 7weeks old 120!!!! & Aa heifer calf 2 weeks old a good bit of white on her 80 euro. Was jex in after mine 5 to 25 euro. Sale started at 2. I am home with my cheque now

4 calves in local sale. Aa bull just under 3 weeks €220. Aa heifer 5 weeks old 185. Fr bull 7weeks old 120!!!! & Aa heifer calf 2 weeks old a good bit of white on her 80 euro. Was jex in after mine 5 to 25 euro. Sale started at 2. I am home with my cheque now

Many calves there?

Many calves there?

90. One of the shippers who wasn't there last week was there today, made a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was close on 1500 in bandon yday. Trade a bit better. Sold 4 to 5 wk old fr bulls made 80, aa bulls and heifers 3 weeks old 140 or so. Mine can't go for export so others may have made more

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

WCC again.

A bit late in the year now.

Ya it's shoving on. But it's funny the late calves usually find buyers. They look fairly narrow don't they.

mf240 wrote: »
    Ya it's shoving on. But it's funny the late calves usually find buyers. They look fairly narrow don't they.

Ye supposedly up to 8 weeks old. A good bit of hol in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Probably bought by the job lots and these are the runts/failures by department inspection now for export since it's gotten more serious.

Probably bought by the job lots and these are the runts/failures by department inspection now for export since it's gotten more serious.

You wouldn't know what you'd be buying in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

orm0nd wrote: »
    Getting late in the year for fr heifers. Saw 6 smashing wh bulls bought in Bandon y/day. Great length and square must be a month old. Think he said avg 280 including fees.
    I was only getting that for massive 5 week old BB bulls last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Macroom very dear today. Shippers flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Pidae.m wrote: »

What kind of prices Pidae?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Pidae.m wrote: »

What age and breed that is in demand
    What could i expect for plain wh heifers 200kg ???Any export for these type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ballybay yesterday.

2-3 week old Hex €90-130 4-6 week old € €180-220

AA €80-150

Smx €250

Bbx €180

Fr €50-90

Jex €10

About 50 lots total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Any prices on dairy x calves lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Any prices on dairy x calves lately

Sold fr bulls on Wed €145 at 15days old.
    Bought frxlim bulls same day €310 at 15days old.

130 euro for reared simmental calves in Ballbay mart!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

130 euro for reared simmental calves in Ballbay mart!

If there anyway half decent the money is tempting however I'm envisioning pot bellies and a back end you could pick your teeth with. I was in Castlerea last week and a group of very average reared HEx and SIMx bull calves made from €200 to €320. A good dose seemed badly needed and whoever reared them looked to have been very sparing with the meal and milk replacer. I was tempted by the few best examples but at circa €350 at home in the yard they didn't seem value for long keep stock. An average suckler weanling at €500 in the autumn would be better value imo but there's no shortage of grass to be eaten at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

An average suckler weanling at €500 in the autumn would be better value imo but there's no shortage of grass to be eaten at the moment.

I don't think I've ever seen one of those in a Mart.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

An average suckler weanling at €500 in the autumn would be better value imo but there's no shortage of grass to be eaten at the moment.

I don't think I've ever seen one of those in a Mart.

Come November there's no great shortage of them locally anyway, circa 200kg at €500. They'll not be the tops of CHx but AA, SH or middle of the road LM can be picked up for that most years. You might not fill the lorry the first day but if you had the time and patience you'd assemble a bunch over time.

Went to calf sale today. There were 5 calves in it. I had 1 fr bull in it 12 days old got 55 euro. Was 4 other calves from another farmer. Poor 2 week old fr bull 12 euro. Poor April born fr bull 110. Chx heifer board said 3 weeks old but I'd say 3 months old on cow 330 euro. Black lim similar age 310

Went to calf sale today. There were 5 calves in it. I had 1 fr bull in it 12 days old got 55 euro. Was 4 other calves from another farmer. Poor 2 week old fr bull 12 euro. Poor April born fr bull 110. Chx heifer board said 3 weeks old but I'd say 3 months old on cow 330 euro. Black lim similar age 310

Was there just the couple of dealers there or did farmers buy?

• Advertisement

Was there just the couple of dealers there or did farmers buy?

Usual dealers. Heard there was herefords going for 30 euro last week. Cattle sale was over at 12.40

HolxBB males, 15days old, €300+.

HolxCH makes 15days, €250+.

Heifers around €100 less.

Agent said they’re for Holland and Spain.

Holstein bulls 15days, €50-100.
    They’d want to be little heifers calves to be on €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You should always make it clear that these are Frence prices. Not everyone knows who you are !!!!

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

When the glut of Irish calves comes in the Spring how much do they knock back your prices by, if 30% of the Irish herd was autumn calving you’d sort out a lot of the bottleneck that hits exporting with the spring flush, but given its blasphemy to move away from the spring system it’s a fanciful notion

jaymla627 wrote: »
    When the glut of Irish calves comes in the Spring how much do they knock back your prices by, if 30% of the Irish herd was autumn calving you’d sort out a lot of the bottleneck that hits exporting with the spring flush, but given its blasphemy to move away from the spring system it’s a fanciful notion

When the glut comes on the market in the spring calves are impossible to shift here...

Blue heifer calf 2 weeks old out of British friesian cow, what price should I ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Blue heifer calf 2 weeks old out of British friesian cow, what price should I ask?

1 million dollars!!
    Not sure what way the market is, if she has shape to her 150 maybe? At 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

I’d be looking 200- if I was buying 150- I could come down and collect later for 150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

stanflt wrote: »

I’d be looking 200- if I was buying 150- I could come down and collect later for 150
    Are you finishing beef now aswell Stan or am I mistaken?

• Advertisement

Have 8 calves to go this morning. Lad supposed to be coming soon. Ye 150 would be a bit low imo. Might ask 250 and see how it goes. If you dont ask you dont get.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Are you finishing beef now aswell Stan or am I mistaken?

Was till I lost my shirt- run my own beef crosses to 450kg-
    Might consolidate next year and drop some ground and sell some entitlements

Dealer was telling me he bought spring born Angus and fr heifers for €160.

Would he sell them for 180? Or is he just low balling

Would he sell them for 180? Or is he just low balling

I'd say he'd sell them for more. How much would they have cost the farmer since birth? Even €10 in the spring would be better than keeping them on. He asked me did I want to buy some

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

were they bought in a mart or from a farmer?

High bike wrote: »
    were they bought in a mart or from a farmer?

From a farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

From a farmer
    must have been desperate to offload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I'd say he'd sell them for more. How much would they have cost the farmer since birth? Even €10 in the spring would be better than keeping them on. He asked me did I want to buy some

Are they worth much more. They are more than likely sub 150kg heifers. A 280KG AA heifer grading O- would be making sub 1K since mid July, even with new pricing structure they are just at 1000 euro net of factory fees. If grading O- knock 50 euro off.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Are they worth much more. They are more than likely sub 150kg heifers. A 280KG AA heifer grading O- would be making sub 1K since mid July, even with new pricing structure they are just at 1000 euro net of factory fees. If grading O- knock 50 euro off.

The Angus are surely worth €250.

Advertisement