Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf price chitchat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Red Hereford bull 6 weeks old 2 farmers got stuck on him and sold for 325.
    the normal run for them was from 130 to 200,but as the day went on you would get a nice strong calf for 150.

The weather and lads bringing v young calves to mart is putting a floor on prices atm exporter and farmer demand is strong but neither are purchasing strong atm due to no boats sailing and lads waiting for weather to settle before buying in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

the normal run for them was from 130 to 200,but as the day went on you would get a nice strong calf for 150.

Would you not be better off with a friesian for nothing or even €50. Whatever bonus on the Hereford is well given away at that price is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

orm0nd wrote: »
    The Bridge?

Yep. They were healthy enough too and not overly pointy. Just young.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A bit if sanity coming into Hereford calf prices.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Would you not be better off with a friesian for nothing or even €50. Whatever bonus on the Hereford is well given away at that price is it not?

At 150/ head for WH bulls you are marginalf with the WH unless FR are free First off you have a very saleable animal at weanling and store stage. As well at finishing you have a flexible animal that can be slaughtered before next winter, finished out of a shed or carried back to grass. FR need to go to higher weights to guarantee grading unless you can flat price but will weight heavier.

FR killing 360 at O- @,3.65 base 1274
    HE killing 360 at O+ & bonus. 1360

But you have the flexibility to kill at sub 300 kgs and still grade which you do not have with the Fr

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I saw a serious hex heifer sold (lifted) for €210.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

8 fr bulls for boat at 35 euro each

Friend sold fr bulls in bandon kast week €70 got €155 for them this week. About 5 goid strong farmers turned up to buy calves. On the other hand there was aa runners sold for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Friend sold fr bulls in bandon kast week €70 got €155 for them this week. About 5 goid strong farmers turned up to buy calves. On the other hand there was aa runners sold for nothing.

Ha ha. Makes no sense. Noting quare as folk.

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Ha ha. Makes no sense. Noting quare as folk.

Sad management from the mart really , instead of having 5 farmers today to buy calves and nobody last week. They'd should make sure they have customers every week . Ill guarantee you, you won't see that in Gortatlea.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Sad management from the mart really , instead of having 5 farmers today to buy calves and nobody last week. They'd should make sure they have customers every week . Ill guarantee you, you won't see that in Gortatlea.

Tom was on the radio to night he said calves were flying trade in bandon today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Milk is costing 13-15 euro a week for a calf without costing in labour and straw and losses.
    I'd prefer take 5 euros at 10 days then 40 at 4 weeks old

3e/day to rear a calf, that's the bones of it. And lucky you to have the choice of selling at 10days old, tb means I'm stick with everything here until March 20th at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

whelan2 wrote: »
    8 fr bulls for boat at 35 euro each

Was putting on my milking gloves yesterday evening when I realised the dealer took the wrong pile of cards for the calves:eek:. I rang him and luckily he was still collecting calves in the area. Oh met him and gave him the correct cards. Would have had all the calves back after picking up god knows what in the lorry all day.

Saw a lot of calves selling today in Ennis. Crazy prices. One guy had a bunch of black whiteheads bulls and they all made over €300 with some to €375. Most black lims made €180 to €230. Fr bulls around the €50 mark. The odd good one to €120.
    Nice chars bulls and heifers made high €300's also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Saw a lot of calves selling today in Ennis. Crazy prices. One guy had a bunch of black whiteheads bulls and they all made over €300 with some to €375. Most black lims made €180 to €230. Fr bulls around the €50 mark. The odd good one to €120.

Great to see it, they're not half crazy enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Anyone come across saler fr cross and if so how much were they making

Gary kk wrote: »
    Anyone come across saler fr cross and if so how much were they making

What colour would that cross be - all black, or would some come red?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

What colour would that cross be - all black, or would some come red?

Mostly red here anyway

Kanturk today prices :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Sold 5 fr bull calves Enniscorthy Mart.
    From 145 to 50. Average 114.
    Four AA bulls and heifers 255 to 145.
    One fr heifer twin to bull e15.
    All in around the 4 to 5 week of age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Sold 5 fr bull calves Enniscorthy Mart.
    From 145 to 50. Average 114.
    Four AA bulls and heifers 255 to 145.
    One fr heifer twin to bull e15.
    All in around the 4 to 5 week of age.
    What were prices like overall?

What were prices like overall?

They were the best prices for fr bulls up to then anyway.
    I wasn't at it but there were lots of fr bulls at €5 and €10. My father was watching all these calves sell before ours and was getting worried. He got a bit of a land then when the first of ours opened at €130. :D
    Holstein calves then at 30 to 50.

I was amazed yesterday watching the calves sell how tuned in the buyers were to quality. I guess the difference is there right true to slaughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was amazed yesterday watching the calves sell how tuned in the buyers were to quality. I guess the difference is there right true to slaughter.
    Quality in FR bull calves can often be masked by feeding of transitional milk particularly if the calves are 4/5 weeks of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If calves are done well for the first 12 weeks what ever set backs/store periods they have after they will continue virtually unaffected after. However 150 euro extra in a calf is about 40kgs DW or a step on the grid and 30-35kgs DW. Even if animal dropped into O- or from O- into a P it only a 45 euro setback. A few animals will drop two places on but the main reason will be not carried to maximum finish. However it is all relayive to price on the day

Slava Ukrainii

They were the best prices for fr bulls up to then anyway.
    I wasn't at it but there were lots of fr bulls at €5 and €10. My father was watching all these calves sell before ours and was getting worried. He got a bit of a land then when the first of ours opened at €130. :D
    Holstein calves then at 30 to 50.

Ah they must have known the seller well ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

got to buy 5 in kilrush clare today 4 bulls 1 hfr smx hfr 125
    bb bull good sq calf 125
    3 sq long freisan off british fr. cows 72 each . 50 calves there all toghther for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I was there with a load of weanlings for a fellow, saw a ch heifer for 425 {super calf off contential cow} and a few young lm heifers around 150. Only walked through the calf ring.

Ah they must have known the seller well ;)

The seller won't have as many fr bulls next year!
    I've the Angus bull for the cows and a yearling fr for the heifers. I picked up the fr bull as a calf from Gordon last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The seller won't have as many fr bulls next year!
    I've the Angus bull for the cows and a yearling fr for the heifers. I picked up the fr bull as a calf from Gordon last year.

You're brave putting an unproven Fr with heifers, is he off easy calving bloodlines? As an aside,and contrary to advice I don't breed replacements off heifers anymore, I find it better to use proven cows suited to our system.

You're brave putting an unproven Fr with heifers, is he off easy calving bloodlines? As an aside,and contrary to advice I don't breed replacements off heifers anymore, I find it better to use proven cows suited to our system.
    Haven't had calving difficulties here (touchwood) in the last 8 to 10 years.
    It all depends on trust in the farmer who I buy the bull calf off. I had a relation who was a farm manager on a large herd who was picking my future sires for the last while. And my criteria were to pick a good square bull calf from a cow that calved herself with no assistance.
    The calf has to be from a cow with milk volume and good %'s and proper udder and obviously no relation to my own stock.
    I've gotten the width into the heifers now and I run the yearling bull with them and then the cows the next year. It's working very well with me.
    I'm gone to a new supplier now and I told him my criteria and hopefully the bull obliges like the four before him did.
    I'd find it very hard to go back to A.I now as I wouldn't be seeing the calf and could I trust that that farmer didn't give assistance in the birth of that bull.

• Advertisement

Haven't had calving difficulties here (touchwood) in the last 8 to 10 years.
    It all depends on trust in the farmer who I buy the bull calf off. I had a relation who was a farm manager on a large herd who was picking my future sires for the last while. And my criteria were to pick a good square bull calf from a cow that calved herself with no assistance.
    The calf has to be from a cow with milk volume and good %'s and proper udder and obviously no relation to my own stock.
    I've gotten the width into the heifers now and I run the yearling bull with them and then the cows the next year. It's working very well with me.
    I'm gone to a new supplier now and I told him my criteria and hopefully the bull obliges like the four before him did.
    I'd find it very hard to go back to A.I now as I wouldn't be seeing the calf and could I trust that that farmer didn't give assistance in the birth of that bull.
    Stock bulls! And I thought I was being contrary! Interesting policy.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/george-goes-dairy-farming-the-right-number-of-cows-for-the-system-in-co-wexford/

You might get your own video soon Say!

I started down the bull calf route as previously it used to be only British freisian or Holstein bulls available at the bull sales. No high ebi middle of the road types that I wanted. And again can you trust the calving difficulty of a bull at a sale or that assistance was given. There's too many gangsters out there.
    It the same with horses. If you see the animal as a foal you know what type foals that foal will throw.

Hopefully not! Maybe George might fall down a hole..

I had Gordon pegged for good stock and good bull calves last year before all the publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

With that fecking virus will the marts be going in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

With that fecking virus will the marts be going in a few weeks.

Good question. What about the grass walks and such or even the ploughing?

4 week old fr bulls 45 euro, Angus bulls 3wks 160. Angus heifers 3wks 160; easy calving Angus from heifers 70euro. In skibb today. The fresians were good enough quality but a hard trade

I started down the bull calf route as previously it used to be only British freisian or Holstein bulls available at the bull sales. No high ebi middle of the road types that I wanted. And again can you trust the calving difficulty of a bull at a sale or that assistance was given. There's too many gangsters out there.
    It the same with horses. If you see the animal as a foal you know what type foals that foal will throw.
    I wouldnt count only on that as it would depend on the back breeding too I'd say, throwbacks occur regularly.
    I'd be more for the well proven animal on both sides and hope for the best after that. There's nothing worse than rearing stock only for them to turn out average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

4 week old fr bulls 45 euro, Angus bulls 3wks 160. Angus heifers 3wks 160; easy calving Angus from heifers 70euro. In skibb today. The fresians were good enough quality but a hard trade

Any prices on Hereford bulls.
    I've 2 good 3week old ones going to carnew tomorrow

dar31 wrote: »

All depends on if their are farmers buying. Red Hereford are doing well 250. 200 for nice black Hereford. Farmer buyers are scarce down here and very few dairy farmers are rearing now so the marts are packed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's an extra 600 places approved in the lairage in Cherbourg and more in development. That's an extra 1,800 calves a week with 3 sailings a week being able to be transported.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/approval-granted-for-facilities-for-600-extra-calves-in-cherbourg-ifa/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Very high seas forecast all week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

alps wrote: »
    Very high seas forecast all week...
    The feckin weather can't accommodate our calving pattern :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Base price wrote: »

Maybe our calving cant accommodate the weather pattern.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

dar31 wrote: »

a miller of a one made 450 in abbeyfeale today

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

moll3 wrote: »
    a miller of a one made 450 in abbeyfeale today

What were other prices like there today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

What were other prices like there today ?

wh bulls 180/300
    aa bulls 80/240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Base price wrote: »

Are calf exports down this year due to the weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wh bulls 180/300
    aa bulls 80/240

What’s the heifers like for comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

wh bulls 180/300
    aa bulls 80/240

Any fr bulls there ?

Advertisement