Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf price chitchat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

My plan would be to finish as under 24 month bulls, July August time. Went to look at them today anyway nice square calves alright, says he wants 110 for the pick of them and he'll rear rest himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Any prices for Angus calves, bulls and heifers?
    Or is there a handy way of searching any of these mart apps for prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Farney Farmer

Anybody know what friesian bull calves are making at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Anybody know what friesian bull calves are making at the minute?

80 / 120 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

80 / 120 euro

They was 4 diabolical white holstein in Bandon Monday. €60.

Calves were very dear. Any young black 160ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Praise the lord I can sell. Have 15 calves over 6 weeks hereford, angus, fr and a blue bull. Will be interesting to see what I'm offered tomorrow for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Praise the lord I can sell. Have 15 calves over 6 weeks hereford, angus, fr and a blue bull. Will be interesting to see what I'm offered tomorrow for them

Free to a good home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

sure if your giving them away i will take a few. deliver them to mayo i might give you diesel money.
    Thats great that you can sell again im sure its a relief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Not been smart but what's your TB Number a d do you think it might impact on selling price

dzer2 wrote: »
    Not been smart but what's your TB Number a d do you think it might impact on selling price

I was a c10 in the letter I got in the summer. Selling out of yard

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    Any prices for Angus calves, bulls and heifers?
    Or is there a handy way of searching any of these mart apps for prices.

Angus from 120 to 220. 120 on teat feeders 220 on cow. Doesn't matter if they are bulls or heifers

Angus from 120 to 220. 120 on teat feeders 220 on cow. Doesn't matter if they are bulls or heifers

Must be some torture getting those calves 4 or 5 week old sucking a cow trained to the bar.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Must be some torture getting those calves 4 or 5 week old sucking a cow trained to the bar.

I think he had cows lined up for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was a c10 in the letter I got in the summer. Selling out of yard

A lot failing tests around here that haven't had a reactor in twenty years

wrangler wrote: »
    A lot failing tests around here that haven't had a reactor in twenty years

Was talking to the department vet last week he was saying the same around here

Was talking to the department vet last week he was saying the same around here

Funny that, had my first suspected lesion this year here last week & dept rang today about a trace test on animal I bought only 3 weeks ago.

Funny that, had my first suspected lesion this year here last week & dept rang today about a trace test on animal I bought only 3 weeks ago.

When I got a call first about the lesion i was told 6 weeks. It was nearly 12 weeks. Strange that on the day I sent the animal reactors were being killed. It was a johnes cow and apparently they dont really get tb.

When I got a call first about the lesion i was told 6 weeks. It was nearly 12 weeks. Strange that on the day I sent the animal reactors were being killed. It was a johnes cow and apparently they dont really get tb.

Ah dont get me started on suspect lesions.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deise toffee

Any current prices for Angus x Friesian calves?A month old drinking milk and eating muesli,Haylage.

• Advertisement

Any current prices for Angus x Friesian calves?A month old drinking milk and eating muesli,Haylage.

€300 in Bandon the last few weeks.
    €200 for 4/5 week old fr bull calves.
    Its the dearest they've been all year.
    Thing about aa at this time of year too is there mainly off holstein heifers so your bate before you start...speaking from personal experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Jez, that's some money for calves.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Jez, that's some money for calves.

I wanted a few for the kids to feed over crimbo.

There was lovely aa April heifers 210kg €385.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Many fr bulls for sale yet or any word on prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I logged online to Carrigallen yesterday and they were pricey enough for the few that I saw - 100 for lesser types to 190 for good square sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Base price wrote: »
    I logged online to Carrigallen yesterday and they were pricey enough for the few that I saw - 100 for lesser types to 190 for good square sucks.

Big money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Time of year. Early ones are always dear

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Time of year. Early ones are always dear

There's money burning a hole in certain lad's pockets and they just can't wait to get cracking. As Brian mentioned in another thread early calves are only an advantage if you can get them to grass early. Having a bunch of weaned calves lying about a shed eating meal and not thriving isn't much use. You'd be better have them ready for the grass when it appears and keep them thriving.

With the lockdown measures set to continue and many people at home for the short-term at least will there be more of a market for sucks? I know a good few lads that reared 5-10 calves last spring that wouldn't usually have even considered it due to other commitments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I wonder with online marts will there be more competition as well. Dealers would often pick up calves on the likes of Bandon and sell on up the country at whatever margin, those lads may buy themselves now if transport can be organised ?
    Lack of a demand from Europe/ shippers could keep it lower either way if restaurants are closed for the foreseeable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Mooooo wrote: »
    I wonder with online marts will there be more competition as well. Dealers would often pick up calves on the likes of Bandon and sell on up the country at whatever margin, those lads may buy themselves now if transport can be organised ?
    Lack of a demand from Europe/ shippers could keep it lower either way if restaurants are closed for the foreseeable

Were many calves sold online last spring or did the calf sales finish before the online sales started?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Fr Whitehead with a saler x calf on toe, would they worth anything ?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Were many calves sold online last spring or did the calf sales finish before the online sales started?

A lot of them were more or less finished I think, was a period where there was a bit of bollixing going on where calves went for nothing, only shippers in there I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

A lot of them were more or less finished I think, was a period where there was a bit of bollixing going on where calves went for nothing, only shippers in there I'd say.

That's been the last few years really. Say they'll be back down to nothing in a month.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    That's been the last few years really. Say they'll be back down to nothing in a month.

By the above i meant there was a period when restrictions first came in and no body could go in bar transport/ shippers and they took even more advantage than normla

Cavanjack wrote: »

6 weeks old fr bull calves, serious calves to be fair.... €260.

Alot of the calves today in Bandon went on line to farmers.

Bb 3-4 weeks old 440

Alot of the reason calves were piss poor price in Bandon was the brutally bad way they organised calf sale when it opened up first. It was a draw system.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

6 weeks old fr bull calves, serious calves to be fair.... €260.

Alot of the calves today in Bandon went on line to farmers.

Bb 3-4 weeks old 440

Alot of the reason calves were piss poor price in Bandon was the brutally bad way they organised calf sale when it opened up first. It was a draw system.

saw a few handy aa bulls make 340.

DAFM are extending the exemption for calf TB tests - over 42 days to 120 days until the 1st of April. Calves that are going for export still need a TB test over 42 days old.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/calf-tb-testing-flexibilities-extended-into-february-595051

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Seen Charolais bull calves making 535 and Charolais heifer calves making 440 in Bandon yesterday.

Boom is back, bough by a reseller up the country so someone is going to lose big time on them.... Only winner is farmer who sold them. More luck to them with those prices.

grange mac wrote: »
    Seen Charolais bull calves making 535 and Charolais heifer calves making 440 in Bandon yesterday.

Boom is back, bough by a reseller up the country so someone is going to lose big time on them.... Only winner is farmer who sold them. More luck to them with those prices.

I known them calves. They were walking barrels of milk.

I known them calves. They were walking barrels of milk.

There were probably looking the best they'll ever look so, full of milk, nice soft hair on them and pure contented looking. A friend of mine sold a very average quality mousey coloured CHx bull suck about a month old recently for €550, he was destined for a cow that lost a calf. I couldn't believe it tbh, another €150 will buy him in October, some lad's biggest enemies are themselves when it comes to stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

There were probably looking the best they'll ever look so, full of milk, nice soft hair on them and pure contented looking. A friend of mine sold a very average quality mousey coloured CHx bull suck about a month old recently for €550, he was destined for a cow that lost a calf. I couldn't believe it tbh, another €150 will buy him in October, some lad's biggest enemies are themselves when it comes to stock.
    Stupid money to be giving but fair play to the man that sold them, as the saying goes “When you have an ass you might as well ride it!” You’d be expecting to be buying a half decent weanling for that money.

I killed some r-/r+ grade limousine heifers before Xmas that were bought from the mart as weanlings between October and December 2019 averaging €540. They averaged €1,270 in the factory. They had about €50 of meal each since they came off grass in November and the bit they got in the shed last winter. I think I know which animal I’d prefer to be buying for €540!

• Advertisement

Just saw a 42 day old MO bull calf sell for €360 in Carrigallen.
    A 15 day old Angus bull calf €540.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Plenty money about lads and no place to spend it, better than money in the bank I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Base price wrote: »
    Just saw a 42 day old MO bull calf sell for €360 in Carrigallen.
    A 15 day old Angus bull calf €540.

Jaysus, it's paying to calve early this year!

We're taking orders for our upcoming spring 2021 calf range. Choose from a range of types and ages, deposits taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ballybay calf ring on in the background while we were doing other stuff in workshop.

AA & HE bulls seemed to have no problem €340-360

€100 too much.

If ye want value ye should all log into bandon calf sales in Feb :)

If ye want value ye should all log into bandon calf sales in Feb :)

Long run with the trailer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

_Brian wrote: »
    Long run with the trailer though.

You get 10-12 calves in an 8X5 box. If you saved 50-80 euro / calf it would be the most profitable work you did all year. You could even afford to be caught with 1-2 duds

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

_Brian wrote: »
    Ballybay calf ring on in the background while we were doing other stuff in workshop.

AA & HE bulls seemed to have no problem €340-360

€100 too much.

And that's only if they are actual quality

it's 200 too much if they are from a short gestation easy calving bull on an extreme Holstein cow or cow with jersey influence that produces either a narrow arsed skeleton of a thing or a slow growing runt that'll only be worth about 900 or both after youve put two years investment/work and time into him meaning he's probably close to loss making without counting your labour.

**** that for a game of soldiers imo

You get 10-12 calves in an 8X5 box. If you saved 50-80 euro / calf it would be the most profitable work you did all year. You could even afford to be caught with 1-2 duds

Perhaps but that's assuming you have the means of going for them, the time to spare and the interest to actually do it. It's a different story if your away working every day and have other commitments that often mean spare time is in short supply. One of the main reason's calf dealer's exist is because most lads (at least here in the West) want the calf brought to them as opposed to vice versa.

Secondly everything is cheap until you go to buy it and I always find that those "cheap" stock are never as good a value when you get stuck into bidding. If you hit an above average day your €50-80 margin wouldn't be long being eroded and your hardly going home empty after the trek down. Granted it could go the other way but there's a reason that everyone isn't at it. I deal with a lot of lad's on a regular basis that give out about the price of stock and what X,Y or Z did or didn't give for cattle. The same lad's wouldn't degrade themselves to sourcing stock and would far rather ring someone to bring them on and complain afterwards about what they'd do differently.

• Advertisement

A 750km round trip.
    No thanks.

Advertisement