Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf price chitchat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Bought 4 bulls in listowel yesterday thought they were very dear there but anyway
    1 jex on card but was a fr I. My eyes 75
    1 same 90
    1 hex 290
    1 hex 265
    All calves 30 45 days and are good long square calves I think the jex will leave money to me was there someone saying that a jersey or something be a few generations back and still be on the card ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Bought 8 heifer calves in Dungarvan today.

4 LM - 3 x €140, 4 weeks and 1x €115, 3 weeks

4 HE - 2 x €125, 2 weeks and 2 x €135, 3 weeks

Must check which but 2 of the 4 HE have JEx as the dam. Not overly bothered but it’d be better if the screen showed the dam as part of the info

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Murang

Bought 8 heifer calves in Dungarvan today.

4 LM - 3 x €140, 4 weeks and 1x €115, 3 weeks

4 HE - 2 x €125, 2 weeks and 2 x €135, 3 weeks

Must check which but 2 of the 4 HE have JEx as the dam. Not overly bothered but it’d be better if the screen showed the dam as part of the info
    You are spot on no point having breed of dam on the card if you can’t see it on the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Big clear out of calves on Thursday 40 sold from 20 days old to 7.5 weeks 55 to 80 euro .disgusted didn’t come close as serious lumps of calves in it ...on a brighter note I’m to free now I was in no way compensated for been forced to keep all my calves that long ...it is what it is tho some pressure taken off calf sheds and workload since whoever bought them got serious value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Big clear out of calves on Thursday 40 sold from 20 days old to 7.5 weeks 55 to 80 euro .disgusted didn’t come close as serious lumps of calves in it ...on a brighter note I’m to free now I was in no way compensated for been forced to keep all my calves that long ...it is what it is tho some pressure taken off calf sheds and workload since whoever bought them got serious value

Where did you sell?

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Where did you sell?

Mart had them on dd but between lads pulling the piss and not showing up didn’t sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Prices are good around here, had a few at the mart in Abbeyfeale today 70-125 for ordinary Fr Bulls. 140 - wait for it - 280, yes TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY EURO for Br Fr bulls, all around 3-4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Macroom bate all today for calves. Mainly farmers buying them. Dearest sale in a long time.

What kinda range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

wait for it - 280, yes TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY EURO for Br Fr bulls, all around 3-4 weeks.

Congratulations and a good british Freisan is defintely worth a lot more than a poor HEX or AAX in my book but calf prices are the height of madness imo

• Advertisement

Why had u to hold to 7.5 weeks ?

lab man wrote: »
    Why had u to hold to 7.5 weeks ?

Locked up with tb ,got clear last week

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

Prices are good around here, had a few at the mart in Abbeyfeale today 70-125 for ordinary Fr Bulls. 140 - wait for it - 280, yes TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY EURO for Br Fr bulls, all around 3-4 weeks.

that fella was a serious looking calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

moll3 wrote: »
    that fella was a serious looking calf

And an Frx at that. Great to see a man get well paid for a calf like that.

straight wrote: »
    And an Frx at that. Great to see a man get well paid for a calf like that.

I suppose it depends what the X is, in this case the mother was an NRxHoFr, a bony high milky cow though. The calf was off OZG, a few old straws I had left in the tank that I used up on dodgy serves. I'd say he would have made a fine heifer too.

I suppose it depends what the X is, in this case the mother was an NRxHoFr, a bony high milky cow though. The calf was off OZG, a few old straws I had left in the tank that I used up on dodgy serves. I'd say he would have made a fine heifer too.

Was he on ad lib milk to get to that size

Was he on ad lib milk to get to that size

Ah yeah, everything on calf feeders here for the first few weeks. I'm on my own, I couldn't face hungry calves after milking, I'm just too lazy.
    They drink more milk obviously but I get it back in the mart, a month earlier than I would off kerry too.

Locked up with tb ,got clear last week

I hope I never have to go through that torture

Ah yeah, everything on calf feeders here for the first few weeks. I'm on my own, I couldn't face hungry calves after milking, I'm just too lazy.
    They drink more milk obviously but I get it back in the mart, a month earlier than I would off kerry too.

Ya it's a balls feeding calves after milking, then going back to wash the machine, then closing the wire in the cows. He paid u well anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ya it's a balls feeding calves after milking, then going back to wash the machine, then closing the wire in the cows. He paid u well anyway.

That's what the kids are for. Every job they do is a bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Pity I live so far from abbeyfeale, that's mad money, could not hold on to calfs at that money. Is this a cattle quota year I wonder. Maybe only the head ifa members know it like the reference years in the early naughties. You will be able to buy small sucking weanlings for 2euro a kg ( 200to250 kg Hereford heifers for 500 next October).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Serious suck calves in Abbeyfeale .I would say if you faced the place with poor calves you would not get a bid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I sold FR bull calves in KK mart 2 weeks ago. Average was €75/head. 2/3 weeks old. I'm going up with AA bull calves this week. Not sure how they'll go. 15 days up to 36 days old.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

I checked the Enfer app for bvd results. A calf with a retest because of an empty sample is negative on their app. Where do I check if the results have been uploaded? Is it agfood or the Icbf or somewhere else? Calf is ready for the mart tomorrow. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Dont start about any of them crowd .I had samples sent off last year over 15 days to lab . got on to lab and they said I was clear but neither icbf or ahi had bothered to upload results .You will need both to have verifed results ,it is some joke both icbf and animal health Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

I checked the Enfer app for bvd results. A calf with a retest because of an empty sample is negative on their app. Where do I check if the results have been uploaded? Is it agfood or the Icbf or somewhere else? Calf is ready for the mart tomorrow. Thanks

You could check on ICBF.com under Services, then Animal Health Ireland, then BVD free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If you apply for a movement permit for the calf on agfood. If it's authorized the result is up. I posted samples last Monday, no results up yet. Assume they are behind with the bank holiday mid week

cute geoge wrote: »
    Serious suck calves in Abbeyfeale .I would say if you faced the place with poor calves you would not get a bid

Ah the quality is good there alright, probably due to poor land type and smaller farm size traditionally.
    The "top" farmers take their hungry calves to Dromcollogher where they leave them, bid or no bid.

Saw this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ruck10101982/status/1374614028920688643

Anyone ever use this type of "ad lib milk warmer" for feeding calves? Think this is it: https://tim-gibson.com/product/heatwave-the-ad-lib-milk-warmer/

• Advertisement

Used similar setup back in quota days, works well, would have to keep an eye on calves initially over gorging themselves and would use an acidifier in the milk. They'd horse thru some amount of milk tho. We used to being barrels of cold milk from the bulk tank and, it was a Spring feeder I think, had an agitator to keep it from settling and gravity flow with a ball cock in to the container that would heat it to 30 degrees or whatever.

whelan2 wrote: »
    If you apply for a movement permit for the calf on agfood. If it's authorized the result is up. I posted samples last Monday, no results up yet. Assume they are behind with the bank holiday mid week

Don't even have to apply for the the movement, there is a section to check for movement eligibility

Saw this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ruck10101982/status/1374614028920688643

Anyone ever use this type of "ad lib milk warmer" for feeding calves? Think this is it: https://tim-gibson.com/product/heatwave-the-ad-lib-milk-warmer/

That's a budget one afaik. As Moo said, it needs an agitating system on the milk store otherwise you'll get sick calves.
    They'll drink about 11l/day on it, great for the first few weeks alright but you couldn't afford it after that.
    Trick is to keep them washed.
    You'd often find a second hand proper old one on DD. They all has some simple easily remeidied flaw in the design that stopped them working well, eg incorrect pipe size, insufficient lines etc.

That's a budget one afaik. As Moo said, it needs an agitating system on the milk store otherwise you'll get sick calves.
    They'll drink about 11l/day on it, great for the first few weeks alright but you couldn't afford it after that.
    Trick is to keep them washed.
    You'd often find a second hand proper old one on DD. They all has some simple easily remeidied flaw in the design that stopped them working well, eg incorrect pipe size, insufficient lines etc.

Might be something I'll look into for next year. The credit card is maxed out at the moment!

An obvious point but this farming business is some sink for cash. I'm only really starting now and have the bones of 30k sunk into stock. Cash flow is a real issue now and I'm seeing the value of merchant credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Might be something I'll look into for next year. The credit card is maxed out at the moment!

An obvious point but this farming business is some sink for cash. I'm only really starting now and have the bones of 30k sunk into stock. Cash flow is a real issue now and I'm seeing the value of merchant credit.

Dairy farming is like a sponge. It will soak the cash up real quick and drip feed it out after.
    Using merchant credit is handy but you will probably pay more than cash on day price.
    But such is life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Dairy farming is like a sponge. It will soak the cash up real quick and drip feed it out after.
    Using merchant credit is handy but you will probably pay more than cash on day price.
    But such is life.
    It takes a lifetime to get the sheds, get the parlour, get the concrete, get the land where you want it, get the tractors and machinery.

And then you're dead. :pac:

And that is life.

And then you pass through a town or village and see people out having the chinwags and walking the dogs and you rushing to the vet. And then you wonder.. :p

• Advertisement

It takes a lifetime to get the sheds, get the parlour, get the concrete, get the land where you want it, get the tractors and machinery.

And that is life.

And then you pass through a town or village and see people out having the chinwags and walking the dogs and you rushing to the vet. And then you wonder.. :p

For anyone wondering what life is all about, this course might be worth a look: https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/about/faculty-of-medicine-and-health-sciences/centre-for-positive-psychology-and-health/science-of-health-and-happiness

I watched the first video and it’s interesting stuff in fairness

Was at listowel again today got 4 freisan for 370 there was 2 calf sales there today 1 regular sale and 1 sale for a cancer programme there was over 300 calves donated by farmers 1 hex red heifer calf made 980 ya 980 covid money gon mad regular hex calves were making up to 350 too much for me and then 9 in one bunch ch heifer calves about a month old only made 320

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

cute geoge wrote: »

Ya unbelievable fr calves there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

I've 4 belted galloway bull calves here2-4wks old any idea what to ask for them
    Also have 2 yearling heifers to sell, one of the kids got them for her birthday last year and selling them and keep 2 of this year's hf calves.
    All of them have very good belted markings

Sent calves to cahir last fri, fr bulls from 60 to 100 and an AA bull 205.

• Advertisement

dar31 wrote: »
    Also have 2 yearling heifers to sell, one of the kids got them for her birthday last year and selling them and keep 2 of this year's hf calves.

Where u based

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A nicely marked factory ewe lamb 42kg made €620 in stranorlar mart last week so you shouldn't undervalues something unique.
    You should put them in the local mart and advertise in facebook beforehand, there was 11 online bidders for the ewe lamb

lab man wrote: »
    Where u based

East Wicklow

East Wicklow

Too far for me

I'd say I'll be safe enough in posting.
    May even help your sale.
    Bryan Daniels with same.

https://twitter.com/bryanjdaniels/status/1376251904817295363?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I saw a few cross bred ones selling on lsl one night during the week. I think it was Kilmallock and from memory they sold around €250.

I'd say I'll be safe enough in posting.
    May even help your sale.
    Bryan Daniels with same.

https://twitter.com/bryanjdaniels/status/1376251904817295363?s=20

Funny, one of the yearlings I'm selling came from Bryan

Funny, one of the yearlings I'm selling came from Bryan

I was in the same year in kildalton as Bryan.
    He has a fine rotary there now I believe.

Quote him contract rearing costs when he buys it back off you. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

And that is life.

The neighbours all with their immaculate lawn's and regularly washed cars, that's what always makes me wonder, afew calves in the lawn here and the car gets a wash twice a yr at most here. Thankfully them moment's only last afew second's before you try to remember what other injection you absolutely have to get from the vets that you should of had a week ago ha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement