Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf price chitchat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Timmaay wrote: »
    The neighbours all with their immaculate lawn's and regularly washed cars, that's what always makes me wonder, afew calves in the lawn here and the car gets a wash twice a yr at most here. Thankfully them moment's only last afew second's before you try to remember what other injection you absolutely have to get from the vets that you should of had a week ago ha.
    I was saying to the father here this evening at milking, imagine being in a house on this wet Sunday evening with no work to do. In a normal time they'd be busting off to the pub with their mates for the day and evening.
    Now they're stuck with the wife and kids.

Sometimes the milking is a handy way to get out and keep active and have your bit of mindfulness.

The ordinary Joe soap doesn't get the toys of the tractors and machinery and sheds and yards either though. The farmer has the chance to run a second business from their yard too with all the tools from the farm and yard.

Pros and cons in every situation. Just know your strengths whatever you're doing and try and capitalize on that.

A long way off calf prices. Sold a bunch of 10 Angus calves 10 days ago. All just on the three weeks. Bulls and heifers averaged 230.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Timmaay wrote: »
    The neighbours all with their immaculate lawn's and regularly washed cars, that's what always makes me wonder, afew calves in the lawn here and the car gets a wash twice a yr at most here. Thankfully them moment's only last afew second's before you try to remember what other injection you absolutely have to get from the vets that you should of had a week ago ha.

Who knows what the fancy lawns and fancier cars really cost? And I'm not talking about the money.

What makes me laugh is the people who do stressful jobs Mon-Fri so they have extra money to destress at the weekend. It's a gold-plated prison.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I'm trying to get organised here for feeding milk powder to calves.

Would heating water to 40C in a blue barrel cause any reaction between the water and the plastic of the barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

have 2 calves just over 42 days, can i bring them to the mart on thursday the first of april without a tb test as the 120 days is finished on the first, very little information available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Would heating water to 40C in a blue barrel cause any reaction between the water and the plastic of the barrel?

I do not think so as long as heating element will not touch plastic.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

cosatron wrote: »
    have 2 calves just over 42 days, can i bring them to the mart on thursday the first of april without a tb test as the 120 days is finished on the first, very little information available.

It's extended to June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If they are going for export have to be tested over 42 days, otherwise they ok until 120 days

I do not think so as long as heating element will not touch plastic.

Thanks for that.

I'm still undecided on what'll work best. There's pros and cons to whatever way you go about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We transport very hot water from the house to the yard in a 120lt blue barrel to mix cmr and never had an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Iv a calf with an infected naval I treated him for it what condition would it want to be in to sell him in the mart??

Iv a calf with an infected naval I treated him for it what condition would it want to be in to sell him in the mart??
    What age and breed is the calf and how did you treat it?
    You have two choices and both are going to cost you - keep the calf until the navel has healed or bring it to the mart and announce that it's navel is treated. If you don't announce it in the mart the sale of the calf maybe thrown up or you will be offered a reduced price by the buyer and announcing it will impact the price that you get for the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Base price wrote: »
    What age and breed is the calf and how did you treat it?
    You have two choices and both are going to cost you - keep the calf until the navel has healed or bring it to the mart and announce that it's navel is treated. If you don't announce it in the mart the sale of the calf maybe thrown up or you will be offered a reduced price by the buyer and announcing it will impact the price that you get for the calf.
    Fr bull calf 7 weeks old calf is flying it I treated him with a few shots of noroclav naval is all healed up but it is slightly puffed up and I can feel the cord small and hard button type thing.

Fr bull calf 7 weeks old calf is flying it I treated him with a few shots of noroclav naval is all healed up but it is slightly puffed up and I can feel the cord small and hard button type thing.
    Bathe the hard button type thing (scab) with warm salt water a few times a day if you can. He isn't going to go for export at 7 weeks of age (over 42 days) unless you got him tb tested.

I've seen 6 to 7 week old good square type FR bull calves making €120-€180 over the last few weeks but the boil is going out of the market.

Anyone ever get the vet to knock out their calves and dehorn them?

Is it a good job?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Is it a good job?
    Stunning them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it a good job?

My vet was telling me recently that they're providing this sevice. He wants to cut down on the amount of older cattle he's being asked to skull which is pure hardship anyway.
    I think they sedate the calves, knock them out and dehorn them, don't know how much it costs.

Is it a good job?
    Disbud or dehorn. Why knock them, what are the facilities like on the farm?

So far in my lifetime the one and only time we got the Vet to knock an animal was a large PBR Blonde cow because she wouldn't fit into the hoof man's crate and needed a bit of hoof care.

Sorry folks - I meant sedate rather than knock out. And then dehorn them. They’re from 3 weeks to 5 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

If someone has to sedate a 4 or 5 week calf to dehorn them, then they shouldn’t be let near them

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    If someone has to sedate a 4 or 5 week calf to dehorn them, then they shouldn’t be let near them

Apologies again if I’ve the words wrong. The idea I think is to make things as stress free for the calves as possible. They get an injection, go to sleep, you dehorn them while they’re out, and then they wake up after half an hour none the wiser as to what happened

• Advertisement

Apologies again if I’ve the words wrong. The idea I think is to make things as stress free for the calves as possible. They get an injection, go to sleep, you dehorn them while they’re out, and then they wake up after half an hour none the wiser as to what happened
    Tbh I think that is a bit excessive. We don't have any problems once you use the anaesthetic Lidocaine/Adrenacaine. People leave it too late to do them and the buds are too large and gone hard with age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yes, have seen it done before

Wouldnt be against it personally

You can do a big bunch of calves very quickly with it and as you said alot less stress on the calf
    Would be quite common in England

People leave it too late to do them and the buds are too large and gone hard with age.

As all calves have to be nearly 14 days going to the mart it should be a stipulation that they are debudded. It would be a handy job for dairy farmers.

As you say lads leave it too late. 40 years ago when we has to do it with caustic you would make sure to have them done between 7-14 days and if there was no bud you checked weekly for buds

Slava Ukrainii

As all calves have to be nearly 14 days going to the mart it should be a stipulation that they are debudded. It would be a handy job for dairy farmers.

As you say lads leave it too late. 40 years ago when we has to do it with caustic you would make sure to have them done between 7-14 days and if there was no bud you checked weekly for buds

There is no rule saying calves have to be disbudded by 14 days just that you need to use anastethic over 14 days

I did 6 week old calves here last week and they only barely had a butt

There is no rule saying calves have to be disbudded by 14 days just that you need to use anastethic over 14 days

I did 6 week old calves here last week and they only barely had a butt

That why I think the dairy farmers should do them. Friesians usually have buds by 10 days LM can generally be slow

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

That why I think the dairy farmers should do them. Friesians usually have buds by 10 days LM can generally be slow

For feck sake, next thing you know lads will want the dairy farmer to wean them too. Sold 7 angus females and 3 angus males yesterday. Between 2 weeks and a month old. Got 222 average and the best was 275.

straight wrote: »
    For feck sake, next thing you know lads will want the dairy farmer to wean them too..

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Dairy farmer keeps them to 4-6 months debuds them, weans them and while they are at it they could castrate them and keep them for 2-3 weeks after that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Dairy farmer keeps them to 4-6 months debuds them, weans them and while they are at it they could castrate them and keep them for 2-3 weeks after that

Would the dairy farmer have to take back any dead ones up to a year old and replace with one of equal or better quality? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

And pay to get them taken away ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

It should be a handy job for beef farmers too.

Did mine today (4-5 weeks old) and followed some good advice on the dairy thread.

4ml Adrenacaine per side with a fine needle, waited 5 mins and disbudded them in the order they were injected (batches of 10). A shot of pain relief after done and R1 of Blackleg as well.

They never reacted during it (no crate) and were very content tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Would the dairy farmer have to take back any dead ones up to a year old and replace with one of equal or better quality? ;)

Dairy calf scheme to include course for rearers on how to rear calves.
    Rearers facilities to be inspected as part of course.
    Health and safety course to be included as part of the scheme.

Yea that's a good idea and maybe the few that do not thrive as well and pay the beef farmer for feeding them.
    It should be a handy job for beef farmers too.

Did mine today (4-5 weeks old) and followed some good advice on the dairy thread.

4ml Adrenacaine per side with a fine needle, waited 5 mins and disbudded them in the order they were injected (batches of 10). A shot of pain relief after done and R1 of Blackleg as well.

They never reacted during it (no crate) and were very content tonight.

Easier for the dairy farmer to do them sub 14 days. No injection needed beef is a low cost business

Dairy calf scheme to include course for rearers on how to rear calves.
    Rearers facilities to be inspected as part of course.
    Health and safety course to be included as part of the scheme.

All for 400euro they are breaking there hearts

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Disbud or dehorn. Why knock them, what are the facilities like on the farm?

So far in my lifetime the one and only time we got the Vet to knock an animal was a large PBR Blonde cow because she wouldn't fit into the hoof man's crate and needed a bit of hoof care.
    Would be common practice in NZ for large numbers . Vet knocks them out another helper coming behind with gas dehorner . Absolutely no stress on calves and will be drinking away that evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Yea that's a good idea and maybe the few that do not thrive as well and pay the beef farmer for feeding them.

Easier for the dairy farmer to do them sub 14 days. No injection needed beef is a low cost business

Adrenacaine costs less than €9 a bottle. 0.70c a calf to use it.
    Things must be worse in beef than I thought

Adrenacaine costs less than €9 a bottle. 0.70c a calf to use it.
    Things must be worse in beef than I thought

It costs 8e a bottle infact, sure I'll dehorn them if the buyer gives an extra 5e a hd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Carnaross today..so at least two people though she was worth near that money
    Belgian Blue Calf DOB 31/01/ 2021 weight 110kgs made €780.00 at Today's Sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Carnaross today..so at least two people though she was worth near that money
    Belgian Blue Calf DOB 31/01/ 2021 weight 110kgs made €780.00 at Today's Sale.

Let them off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Calves were poison dear in bandon yesterday. Watery hex heifers 9 together with a few reds through them 300. They'd have made 210 North in macroom Saturday.

Seen an awful bb bull tall very plain 380.

Gortatlea was dearer, very well done square fr 4 weeks old 190.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Do ya think bandon would be better than others for HE/ AA/ BB calves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Sold my bucket reared White head yearlings, 40 of the worst yolks that went out the gate of the farm. Weights from 240kg to 350kg. I sold them all in 1 lot €760 to a dealer. I am delighted as a bad year and they wouldn't see €500. He wasn't buying for grassmen it was to fill an order for a shipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sold my bucket reared White head yearlings, 40 of the worst yolks that went out the gate of the farm. Weights from 240kg to 350kg. I sold them all in 1 lot €760 to a dealer. I am delighted as a bad year and they wouldn't see €500. He wasn't buying for grassmen it was to fill an order for a shipper.

Well done
    That’s great news, less head in the system to allow for a price cut

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Calves were poison dear in bandon yesterday. Watery hex heifers 9 together with a few reds through them 300. They'd have made 210 North in macroom Saturday.

Great time to be selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

DukeCaboom wrote: »

Great stuff. Makes a change to get paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Reggie. wrote: »
    Let them off

Will u go away to fook ,congrats on the purchase reggie ,I hear it was Stanfits calf too ........

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Will u go away to fook ,congrats on the purchase reggie ,I hear it was Stanfits calf too ........

Stanfits calves are all like giraffes. All legs :D

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Stanfits calves are all like giraffes. All legs :D

Ha wait until you see what you're getting here....

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ha wait until you see what you're getting here....

Antelopes

Mooooo wrote: »
    Do ya think bandon would be better than others for HE/ AA/ BB calves?

Mauty would be a lot better. One lad had serious aa calves Saturday at 250.

Bandon hot today Gortatlea a little easier. Swings and roundabouts i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

Lads, quick one, I see breed rbx a bit now, what's the difference between that and bbx?

• Advertisement
Advertisement