Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 1 Discussion from 6th/7th January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Nothing except the infrequency of these events I assume.

No, solar activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Wow we have a cold easterly and its a lame duck. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

What's that based on?

Deep solar minimum,as happened 2008-2009 ,that cold period of 2008-2010. 2009 had 260 sun spotless days for example which just happened to be followed by the coldest winter in yrs = 2009/ 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Samsgirl wrote: »
    A friend in Michigan sent me this last night. Now, that's cold!!!

I heard it was to hit -40 in Boston.
    I'm glad I'm looking out at blue skies in Dublin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Short snizzle shower in D12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I heard it was to hit -40 in Boston.
    I'm glad I'm looking out at blue skies in Dublin:)

The lowest it got in Boston this week was around -18C, shudder to think what -40C would feel like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Getting frequent showers of hail off the Irish sea atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The USA is expected to become springlike in a few days. This 850hpa temp anomaly chart shows unusually mild weather around the Great Lakes and even extraordinarily warm in the Dakotas! Will the Atlantic now calm down and give us a cold spell which in theory is meant to happen? I wouldn't bet on it.

gfsna-15-96.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Frequent light rain/graupel showers here, pity it isn't colder.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tis bright, very very bright.

Not that cold either, although in an exposed shaded area the wind carries a bite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Just up the road from the entrance to the Croghan wind farm is a new house being built in the woods and it’s for sale
    There’s some view out the back from it

It’s 320 metres above sea level and would get snow a lot (none today up there just hail)
    It’s a 10 min drive from the M11
    Pictured is the view just now looking out over the Irish Sea from it and Arklow rock is in the top left of the photo
    It’ll be heavenly when it’s done

5fa601bafc74e10170977586b21abeda.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I wonder how low the temperatures will get tonight,met eireann going for a minimum of -5 and MT going for -7.

Bone chilling here in a raw northeast breeze in West mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Can't even get a decent hail shower off this Irish Sea flow, all the showers hitting Bray-Greystones.

patneve2 wrote: »
    Can't even get a decent hail shower off this Irish Sea flow, all the showers hitting Bray-Greystones.

You're not missing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

And come summer, those same areas will have blue skies wrist the rest of the country is covered in stubborn cloud.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Bray/Greystones was the first and only places in the country to get Heavy Snow on the 26/27th of November 2010. We got 5 inches in 2 hours that night. All from literally one streamer stretching across the Irish Sea from the Lake District to Bray Greystones. Its literally only one of two wind directions that give Bray a long enough sea fetch for streamers positioned where we are in the middle of the east coast. Generally we'll be in the snow shadow of Antrim, IOM or Wales. For many, the remember the 2010 event starting on the 29/30th of Nov or even into December but for Bray it started with 5 inches on the 26/27th. Then we got no more till we got lucky again with the wind/streamer direction in the middle of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

highdef wrote: »
    And come summer, those same areas will have blue skies wrist the rest of the country is covered in stubborn cloud.... lol

437957.jpg

437958.jpg

:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Calibos wrote: »
    Bray/Greystones was the first and only places in the country to get Heavy Snow on the 26/27th of November 2010.

:confused:

*checks records*

Had snow on the ground here in Dublin 16 the morning of the 27th November 2010 (so overnight 26th/27th).

Bray/Greystones was the first and only places in the country to get Heavy Snow on the 26/27th of November 2010. We got 5 inches in 2 hours that night. All from literally one streamer stretching across the Irish Sea from the Lake District to Bray Greystones. Its literally only one of two wind directions that give Bray a long enough sea fetch for streamers positioned where we are in the middle of the east coast. Generally we'll be in the snow shadow of Antrim, IOM or Wales. For many, the remember the 2010 event starting on the 29/30th of Nov or even into December but for Bray it started with 5 inches on the 26/27th. Then we got no more till we got lucky again with the wind/streamer direction in the middle of December.

Perhaps in the firing line but certainly not the only places.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just up the road from the entrance to the Croghan wind farm is a new house being built in the woods and it’s for sale
    There’s some view out the back from it

It’s 320 metres above sea level and would get snow a lot (none today up there just hail)
    It’s a 10 min drive from the M11
    Pictured is the view just now looking out over the Irish Sea from it and Arklow rock is in the top left of the photo
    It’ll be heavenly when it’s done

5fa601bafc74e10170977586b21abeda.jpg

It would be fantastic to live there.
    I wonder how much would you have to pay for that view?
    On the subject of height, is there anyone living 600 metres above sea level in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Started around the 25th or 26th in the north west iirc, I remember having lying snow in Letterkenny a few days before the east coast streamers started up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLO
    W

Low Temperature Warning for Munster, Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal
    Turning very cold tonight with lowest temperatures falling to between -2 and -5 degrees and staying very cold Sunday morning.

Issued:Saturday 06 January 2018 13:00
    Valid:Saturday 06 January 2018 18:00 to Sunday 07 January 2018 12:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Imagine the folks over in the Boston reading our yellow warning for temperatures as low as -2 to -5. Someone need to tell MET that it's January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Small amounts of snow on Lugnaquilla above 800m. Only a dusting of 1-2cm and a lot of exposed frozen ground where anything falling is getting blasted away by wind.

YR.no normally gets Lug spot on but was miles off.
    Mountain-forecast.com normally says there's loads of snow when there is none, but this times said none and got it basically right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

HighLine wrote: »
    Imagine the folks over in the Boston reading our yellow warning for temperatures as low as -2 to -5. Someone need to tell MET that it's January.

Imagine the folks in Casablanca reading our low temperature warning.

It's all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Low Temperature Warning for Munster, Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal

It's weird that they can't just say "Ulster counties" there, but I suppose people in the North would get confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Bray/Greystones was the first and only places in the country to get Heavy Snow on the 26/27th of November 2010. .

Nope. Heavy snow showers set in over the north and west before they got going in the east. Heavy settling snow set in here locally on the afternoon of the 24th. I remember because of the total 'white out' conditions while driving home on that Friday evening.

Edit, my mistake, that Friday was the 26th, not the 24th as stated above:

analyse_2010112618.gif

Satellite sequence for the afternoon of Nov 26th 2010.

26th_November_2010_first_heavy_snow_of_the_autumn_evening_whi.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Bring out the dead:

ppp.png

We are the dead.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Big freeze hah :)

They're be some very confused people along the south east coast with temperatures permanently above freezing and no frost :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

False, I had heavy snow starting around 10pm on 26th November and then I woke up to a winter wonderland on the 27th. Man those were great times!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement