Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 1 Discussion from 6th/7th January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

sryanbruen wrote: »
    False, I had heavy snow starting around 10pm on 26th November and then I woke up to a winter wonderland on the 27th. Man those were great times!

Yeah, the winter of 2010 was incredible, and probably one we won't see the likes of for years to come. I never experienced snow like it before. A bonus was the thundersnow. Of course, we must not forget the hardship that it caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Yeah pretty much all of the coastal east had snow the night in question
    I’m surprised Calibos thought otherwise
    The bulk of the cold in nov December came from the main non marginal snowiest source for Ireland and that’s directions north,as least influenced by the Atlantic as possible

Hence I’d prefer to see polar vortices sinking ssw down through Scandinavia tbh and not a Scandinavia high

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's weird that they can't just say "Ulster counties" there, but I suppose people in the North would get confused!

They often say Ireland though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

https://youtu.be/GNEcQS4tXgQ

Peter Kay would love this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A Beautiful faint flamingo pink,lavender glow developing on the eastern horizon as twilight forms here in West mayo,always visible in cold weather,

The breeze has fallen light,Breath visible & unusually cold given my proximity to the coastline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

A Beautiful faint flamingo pink,lavender glow developing on the eastern horizon as twilight forms here in West mayo,always visible in cold weather,

The breeze has fallen light,Breath visible & unusually cold given my proximity to the coastline.

A beautiful evening alright!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Clear sky in Kerry and down now to 3.9C

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/949662875194482688

Great Bright day today in Kerry.

bdEKvzv.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Calibos wrote: »
    Bray/Greystones was the first and only places in the country to get Heavy Snow on the 26/27th of November 2010. We got 5 inches in 2 hours that night. All from literally one streamer stretching across the Irish Sea from the Lake District to Bray Greystones. Its literally only one of two wind directions that give Bray a long enough sea fetch for streamers positioned where we are in the middle of the east coast. Generally we'll be in the snow shadow of Antrim, IOM or Wales. For many, the remember the 2010 event starting on the 29/30th of Nov or even into December but for Bray it started with 5 inches on the 26/27th. Then we got no more till we got lucky again with the wind/streamer direction in the middle of December.
    Beg to differ, here in Kilcullen we had 8 inches of lying flat snow in our front garden at that time, we got pasted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's weird that they can't just say "Ulster counties" there, but I suppose people in the North would get confused!

Ulster says s-no-w!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Hail now in D15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Flakes blowing in the wind here in Kildare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Is this just a frosty night or is there snow expected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

2 frosty nights if we're lucky. Might be a light snow shower or two on high ground. That's about it.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Knock yourself out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just read on the IT website that 56cm of snow was dumped in Maine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Just read on the IT website that 56cm of snow was dumped in Maine.
    It seems a certainty that serious flooding will cause problems in that part of the world soon with so much snow lying, 2m temps expected in a few days time.

gfsna-9-144.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

-1.3c in Sligo town.

How low can u go

-6c probable in Markree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

pauldry wrote: »
    -1.3c in Sligo town.

How low can u go

-6c probable in Markree

-2.5 in South Sligo a hoarfrost on the grass and the planets and stars are like beacons.

Beautiful night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

OK OK, I get it everyone!! Me and Bray weren't special on Nov 26th 2010. I've lived a lie these past 6 or 7 years. I was sure I dined on the bitter tears of Dublin, Meath and Wexford Snowlovers that night. ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It seems a certainty that serious flooding will cause problems in that part of the world soon with so much snow lying, 2m temps expected in a few days time.

In contrast, Australia is hitting +45C with roads melting.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/australasia/australians-warned-to-stay-indoors-as-temperatures-so-hot-the-roads-are-melting-36463648.html

I'm glad I'm here in middle of the road Ireland:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-5c being reported at both Ballyhaise and Markree at 0600.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Of the synoptic stations, Ballyhaise is the coldest so far the morning with -4.7 air temperature (1.5 m) by 6 am. Grass minimum temperature was -8.

List from 6 am synop reports (air temperature/grass minimum temperature)
    BALLYHAISE -4.7/-8
    GURTEEN-3.3/-9
    CLAREMORRIS -3.1/-10
    FINNER -2.6/-6
    JOHNSTOWN CASTLE +4.9/+3

Kerry airport reporting -4c at 8am.
    There's a 6c gap between Dublin Airport and Casement at 8am this morning, being +5c and -1c respectively.

Currently -1.0c here in West Clare, the first sub zero temperature we'll have gotten in daylight hours this season.

Beautiful frost out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Low of -3.5c this morning.

Snow line yesterday on Mount Leinster was around 600m
    https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/949746816999976960

Ballyhaise was -5.5 °C at 8 am.

Hourly temps

4am...5am...6am...7am...8am...9am...10am
    -4.0....-3.7....-4.6....-4.3....-4.8.....-5.5.....-3.8

Meanwhile Casement has now jumped up to +4.5 from -1.3 at 9 am as the wind switched from 310 at 2 kt to 070 at 7 kts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got down to -2.7C here near Tralee, close to the coast. Nice still morning with blue skies. Barometer still climbing , now at 1030.4 hPa .

Respite from all the wind and rain but looks like not for long with Tues set to be a wet and blustery day and briefly relatively mild in the Southern half of the country during the day before turning cool again.

pression2_uk_yyu1.png

Fantastic crisp morning down on Banna Strand, nice frost on the car, pic taken about 11.00 but still coated in frost as in the shade.

0hz94Cs.jpg?1

XCW91ak.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

A friend just sent me this,it was when a shower came in during a climb of lugnaquilla yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

So, just watched Gerry Murphy's forecast and turning unsettled again as the Atlantic returns after this brief interlude of quiet weather.
    At least the bull**** theory that a warm North America in winter can influence our weather can be tossed into the bin.
    Time now for the last throw of the dice? Any sign of a SSW? :rolleyes:
    Moan over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement