Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 1 Discussion from 6th/7th January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Getting orange alert text alerts from fingal county council....a part of the country that may not even go below freezing tonight. It’s just normal January weather FFS no need for this.
    What's "normal" January weather in the 21st century?
    Apart from the start of January 2010 I haven't seen real cold weather in January IN YEARS! Seriously, apart from the year I just mentioned I cannot remember the last time I saw a snowfall in January. Was it 1987?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The warning clearly states inland areas of Leinster.

Exactly so why is a coastal local authority sending it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

3 degrees colder tonight so far in my part of coastal Wicklow ,the temp responding to a much lower breeze
    A frost here tonight is likely

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

What's "normal" January weather in the 21st century?
    Apart from the start of January 2010 I haven't seen real cold weather in January IN YEARS! Seriously, apart from the year I just mentioned I cannot remember the last time I saw a snowfall in January. Was it 1987?

2009? 2008? 2004? 1997? 1994?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Who ordered a SSW? :P

gXDRbe7.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

It depends where you live really. I live in the Cavan region and we always get 3-4 significant snowfalls every winter. If you live in the southwest or generally in the south, you aren't going to experience snow really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

2 amazing days of sunshine. Great weekend.
    And I hope that frost kills all the bugs and flus going around.

bosco12345 wrote: »
    It depends where you live really. I live in the Cavan region and we always get 3-4 significant snowfalls every winter. If you live in the southwest or generally in the south, you aren't going to experience snow really.

You are if you live on high ground there
    You might be looking at 7 or 8 significant falls in that case down south or east in an average winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Feels Baltic in Mayo, fascinating to experience these 'low' temperatures,rarely get to freezing in coastal extremities of Mayo,and so early in the night.

You can really feel the cold hit you instantly on opening a window or door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

2 amazing days of sunshine. Great weekend.
    And I hope that frost kills all the bugs and flus going around.

Not to derail the thread, but I would research that comment before making it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

There is snow on Mount Leinster. But only on the peak at 800 mtrs. Nothing elsewhere on tbe Blackstairs range at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Can't recall such low freezing temperatures here is Castlebar for a long time indeed. I love this kind of weather, just returned from a long walk. Xmas lights still on around the town so there was a lovely atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Temperature refusing to go below 1c here. Wind is still fairly strong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭mikeecho

ffs.. heading oil is running on fumes.
    Thought it would have been delivered by now.

Better arrive first thing in the morning.

What does the next few days have in store ?

(Cold wife = unhappy mike)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The 8pm in temperature in Limerick was around -1c or -2c.

There was ice forming on the inside of my car.

Would not be surprised to hit -5 or -6 overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

mikeecho wrote: »

You'll just have to keep your missus warm by other means like my grandad kept my gran warm nine months before my dad was born on Sept 22nd 1947 ;) In a way, I owe my very existence to the epic snow of '47 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

-3 and dropping still here in my part of Cork City. Looks like it will be a cold one tonight! Stove is on full blast!

pad199207 wrote: »
    Temperature refusing to go below 1c here. Wind is still fairly strong

What’s your dew point?
    It’s very low here given the breeze off the sea -4c
    That’s decent cold air advection from Britain or the continent somewhere ,it’s not Irish Sea air
    My RH is down to 63%

mikeecho wrote: »

I was filling up the turf boiler earlier, it was just like in this video! :D
    All toasty now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

What’s your dew point?
    It’s very low here given the breeze off the sea -4c
    That’s decent cold air advection from Britain or the continent somewhere ,it’s not Irish Sea air
    My RH is down to 63%

DP -3c

• Advertisement

-1.4 c and falling rapidly west of Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Temperatures hovering around 2C in Castlebar, feeling colder though, dp at -4.0C, went down to nearly -8.0C last night

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Iv been trying to light the gas cooker for the past 15 minutes but nothing seems to be coming in, Im givng the barrel a good shake (!) and fiddling with the pipe (!!) but no luck. Does gas freeze at this temp? Thought there was sumthing in it to prevent it.

I also have a flu so havnt been to shops in days so the alternitive menu for dinner is oranges rice crispies and sum cheese thats been around since xmas!

pad199207 wrote: »
    DP -3c

If you had tonight’s feed of air in an easterly bumping up against an active front,you’d probably have snow right on the east coast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Calibos wrote: »
    You'll just have to keep your missus warm by other means like my grandad kept my gran warm nine months before my dad was born on Sept 22nd 1947 ;) In a way, I owe my very existence to the epic snow of '47 :D

I fully understand what you're saying... I've just filled a hot water bottle..... that is what you're getting at ... isn't it.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

A strong breeze in south Donegal this evening. Very cold but I wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t get a frost tonight. A lovely sharp one his morning but it was calm last night.

Iv been trying to light the gas cooker for the past 15 minutes but nothing seems to be coming in, Im givng the barrel a good shake (!) and fiddling with the pipe (!!) but no luck. Does gas freeze at this temp? Thought there was sumthing in it to prevent it.

I also have a flu so havnt been to shops in days so the alternitive menu for dinner is oranges rice crispies and sum cheese thats been around since xmas!
    Probably the gas regulator (the little device that is connected to the top of the cylinder) is frozen, give it a tap or put something warm on it for a few minutes.

I had similar issues earlier today, we had a bit of sideways rain recently and some got into it.

Current conditions in Arklow

f6ca9badc682a7ae2660b248ce3f898a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Current conditions in Arklow

f6ca9badc682a7ae2660b248ce3f898a.jpg
    Nice and toasty inside your house

• Advertisement

Baltic on the outside Bahamas on the inside. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement