Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First ever Linux install on old laptop

Options
  • 02-01-2018 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have an old laptop (from around 2008-2011) lying around at home at the moment and I'm interested in installing Linux on it. It has Windows Vista 32 bit installed but it does have a 64 bit AMD processor as far as I know. I was wondering if someone could recommend me some good distros to me. I would need something fairly beginner friendly while also not too taxing for my PC. I looked it up a bit and I think Linux Mint or Lubuntu sound good but I'd love to hear some more suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have an old laptop (from around 2008-2011) lying around at home at the moment and I'm interested in installing Linux on it. It has Windows Vista 32 bit installed but it does have a 64 bit AMD processor as far as I know. I was wondering if someone could recommend me some good distros to me. I would need something fairly beginner friendly while also not too taxing for my PC. I looked it up a bit and I think Linux Mint or Lubuntu sound good but I'd love to hear some more suggestions!

In addition to those I would suggest PCLinuxOS ...... maybe the Xfce or the Mate versions. It is not related in any way to Ubuntu or Debian.

If you could provide more hardware details of the laptop that would help ..... CPU, RAM in particular.

Two sets of ISOs available here .... official releases and approved community builds
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/

I have had good results using Mate and Darkstar (KDE).

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cheekibreeki

In addition to those I would suggest PCLinuxOS ...... maybe the Xfce or the Mate versions. It is not related in any way to Ubuntu or Debian.
    Two sets of ISOs available here .... official releases and approved community builds

I have had good results using Mate and Darkstar (KDE).
    I'll check those out, thanks
    If you could provide more hardware details of the laptop that would help ..... CPU, RAM in particular.

It has an AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-64 @ 2.1 GHz and 4GB of DDR2 RAM

I'll check those out, thanks

It has an AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-64 @ 2.1 GHz and 4GB of DDR2 RAM

I would be inclined to check out several ISOs on a USB stick to see which might suit both your use and the hardware.

What would suit me or any other might well not suit you ...... so do make the effort to run a few of them 'Live' from USB or DVD so you can make up your own mind. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cheekibreeki

I would be inclined to check out several ISOs on a USB stick to see which might suit both your use and the hardware.

What would suit me or any other might well not suit you ...... so do make the effort to run a few of them 'Live' from USB or DVD so you can make up your own mind. ;)

that sounds like the best idea for now I suppose, thanks for your suggestions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Linux Mint is my favourite however its not everyone's cup of tea. Arch Linux is pretty lightweight and powerful also.

Not a fan of Ubuntu, Fedora with GNOME is also pretty good.

But yes, above advice is solid, run a few live demos on your setup and see which runs best/suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

For an older laptop, LXLE is specifically tuned to be light on resources. It might be worth a look.

http://www.lxle.net/

It's Debian based like Linux Mint and Ubuntu, so you can take advantage of those communities when you need to.

The LXDE desktop is lighter and less featured than Gnome, KDE, or Mint's Cinemon Desktop, but it's clean and easy and has what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just to add to the mix, I installed Linux Lite on a 5 year old laptop there the other day.

Aside from the incessant spinning up and down of the fan, it is working fine. Any distribution with a XFCE or LXDE desktop environment would run fine, especially since you have 4Gb of RAM.

Just checked the specs of the old laptop I installed on last week ....

I put PCLinuxOS Mate on it

CPU: Single core Celeron 925 2.3Ghz; 3G 800Mhz RAM

It is more responsive than I expected ........ quite acceptable TBH.

It struggles with Live TV being single core :)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭biketard

Linux Mint is my favourite however its not everyone's cup of tea. Arch Linux is pretty lightweight and powerful also.

Not a fan of Ubuntu, Fedora with GNOME is also pretty good.

But yes, above advice is solid, run a few live demos on your setup and see which runs best/suits you.

Pretty much what SweetCaliber said. I've ended up on Linux Mint (MATE), but everyone's tastes are different.

Just be aware that if you choose Ubuntu, you'll probably end up installing a bunch of additional stuff that would've been included with Mint in the first place. People used to look down on Mint for being Linux for dummies, but for me it's just a smart way to get what you need installed in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 button_smith

Hi CheekiB', i have just read this thread. I was wondering what, if any, O/S you went with ? I too have an old l/top and have been messing around with Tarhpup 6.0.6 and it works pretty well...

• Advertisement

hold on, i've just realized i'm over a year late on this one...sorry !

Hi CheekiB', i have just read this thread. I was wondering what, if any, O/S you went with ? I too have an old l/top and have been messing around with Tarhpup 6.0.6 and it works pretty well...

Yes it would be nice to know what was decided in the end ... late and all that your posts are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Worztron

Be careful with PuppyLinux as it's always in root afaik.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Be careful with PuppyLinux as it's always in root afaik.

Yeah i've heard this said, but why ? especially as anyone who knows about root could, in theory, just use sudo. Even with this 'vulnarability' Puppy Ls are great for giving old,old computers a new (and well deserved ) lease of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

Still, first post in the forum for 2019, so w00t!

Yeah i've heard this said, but why ? especially as anyone who knows about root could, in theory, just use sudo. Even with this 'vulnarability' Puppy Ls are great for giving old,old computers a new (and well deserved ) lease of life.

Hi button_smith. Another great distro for old computers is 4MLinux - it's 32-bit only (desktop edition). https://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=4mlinux

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi button_smith. Another great distro for old computers is 4MLinux - it's 32-bit only (desktop edition). https://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=4mlinux
    I've not come across this one before. Looks good,yet it is 1000mB compared to puppys 200mB, interesting to know what extra bang you get for your 'buck'. I might well lob it in the v/box and give it a go ( could be a good half way house between mint and puppy ). Thanks, Worztron.

I've not come across this one before. Looks good,yet it is 1000mB compared to puppys 200mB, interesting to know what extra bang you get for your 'buck'. I might well lob it in the v/box and give it a go ( could be a good half way house between mint and puppy ). Thanks, Worztron.

You're welcome. Handy resource: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/4mlinux-115/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

check out peppermint os (ubuntu based) or MX linux (debian based)

rayzercork wrote: »
    check out peppermint os (ubuntu based) or MX linux (debian based)

+1 2 great distros there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement