Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most neglected Irish region

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How many of these Dublin homes are not actually in Dublin proper I wonder? By which I mean in north county Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Unfortunately you've provided evidence that social welfare dependency is a thing. I was never disputing that. You claimed they never works and never will. I wanted to see evidence of that claim and how extensive it.

Look at any sink estate in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

How many of these Dublin homes are not actually in Dublin proper I wonder? By which I mean in north county Dublin.

I know of some that have a Dublin postcode, e,g, Dublin 15, so not all would be rural county Dublin. In fairness the numbers are coming down, usually due to Virgin, but those that remain at this stage are caught in the void between awaiting a private fibre provider to invest in the infrastructure, or will lucky to get caught in spill over from one of the rural schemes or the NBP.

edit: Matt Cooper talking about it and he just read out a text from someone in the exact situation I'm talking about, in Dublin, not too far from the airport and the M50, private companies aren't going to invest in the infrastructure out there so they're left with whatever can get to them via copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Obviously I don't know that area but if there are whole industrial zones on copper standard broadband it sounds like they should be putting their own plan in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Obviously I don't know that area but if there are whole industrial zones on copper standard broadband it sounds like they should be putting their own plan in place.

What?

Yet one off dwellings have the government falling over itself to throw billions at some crowd to wire them up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They aren't industrial zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Remote counties shouldn't be waiting for the arrival of massive billion euro infastructure projects.

They can start with local and simple things like greenways, pedestrian friendly areas and country cycle routes connecting every little town and village, like Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...and if they want roads, electricity, telecoms, post, medical treatment etc, they can get stuffed. Why should those things be available to someone who chooses to provide the country with food security?

I can't see this thread being any different from all the other stupid threads on this topic. City dwellers will bitch about rural dwellers; rural dwellers will bitch about city dwellers. Some people will claim that it's vitally important that everyone move to the nearest city (or to just one city) as soon as possible, while not bothering to explain how such a thing is anything other than risible in practical terms.

The really annoying thing about these stupid discussions is that we had a perfectly good plan in the NSS back in the day, and what looks like a pretty decent plan in the NPF, to create relatively sustainable (meaning not the disaster we have now, and also not pie-in-the-sky stuff like everyone living in high-rise blocks in one megacity with their own compost heaps) development - but those plans never get implemented, because they're opposed by the megacity advocates on the one hand, and the "every regional town should have a fully-equipped hospital complete with emergency department" on the other.

If we spent less time resentful of everyone who doesn't choose to live exactly like ourselves, and more time working on making the best of what we have, we'd be a better society - but being resentful of others seems to come more easily, so we are where we are.

It's depressing, frankly.

This. Irish people are somehow the most giving yet greediest entitled people on the earth.

We're a nation of liars and chancers. People sitting on wealth claiming they're poor and rinsing the tax payer for as much money as possible out of fear of their neighbour.

Claims of a big happy together nation but in reality it's every man for himself, at least let's be honest about it in future. Me me me me.

Advertisement