Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House hunting advice

Options
  • 02-01-2018 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or is it virtually impossible to find anything in Dublin these days?

I know everyone says it's hard, and when I made the decision to return from the UK to Ireland I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I honestly didn't think it would be this hard either.

I know today is only the first proper working day since Christmas, but I must have emailed about 10 different places over the past few days that were interesting to me, including 4-5 today. I am 29 so a similar age to most existing tenants and would (I hope) be someway like-minded in that I am a young professional and work Monday-Friday etc, and I like going out at weekends and stuff. I'm tidy, always pay my bills on time etc, I'd like to think I'm easy going and wouldn't be annoying (but maybe this whiney post suggests otherwise!), I have a reference from my previous landlord and I have enough money to pay for a deposit and first months rent and I'm ready to move in tomorrow even though my new job doesn't start until the 15th January.

I (naievely) thought this would make me a pretty good candidate, yet of the 10 places I've emailed, only two bothered to reply to me and I've only got one viewing so far (the other would have been ideal but it's not available till towards the end of the month and I want to move in somewhere sooner than that since I'm from Cork and I'm living at home for the time being), which is tomorrow and to be honest I'm slightly worried that someone will have gotten there before me and/or the other people in the housemates will decide there is someone more suitable than me.

I know it's usually best to phone but most places I've looked at on Rent.ie are only contactable by email, so I can't even follow anything up without coming across like I'm either desperate or annoying - neither of which I think are good first impressions to give.

Rant over!

Anyone got any advice please:)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Rent.ie?

You never hear of Daft.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

One tip about open viewings - tell them that yes you can come to the open viewing but you're also available to view it now/sooner than the open viewing, and tell them that you can bring cash with you as a holding deposit before paying the balance of the deposit and first months rent, both of which you have. Be pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement