Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fine Universities that are denying free speech.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

"" We don't live in a world where questioning Immigration makes you a racist.  ""
    We do actually-  ( Exhibit A ) A new party has a launch night in Ennis,, this new party has policies of tightly controlling inward immigration, left wing protesters crash the launch night accusing the new party of " racism " .

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/meeting-of-new-anti-immigration-group-in-ennis-disrupted-by-groups-of-protesters-1.124072

( Exhibit B )

A debate on immigration at Ucd- the speaker who was due to give a controlled immigration point of view is assaulted by self appointed thugs because they think its somehow " racist " to support controlled immigration .

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/assault-on-speaker-at-ucd-debate-25893151.html

"" We don't live in a world where questioning Immigration makes you a racist. ""

+ I can also point out the fact that most elections no tds from any of the main parties question or debate the topic of immigration.

You haven't shown anything here that's relevant to what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Havockk wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Absolutist tosh. It's a pure fantasy that this can be achieved. Why? Because there is a line in the sand that some people are just not willing to accept. Not to mention most people want to live in a civilised society, and in a civilised society there is no room for racism in the same way there is no room for pro-paedophilia.

I'd call that an impasse, wouldn't you?[/quote]
    ""  there is no room for racism  "" .

Given what you said in your words there- as myself & other posters pointed out to you some people consider different things as " racism " as I cited some younger people see ( Friends ) as " racist " .

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/01/friends-problematic-netflix-viewers/

Because some people see it as " racist " based on your own very words " ""  there is no room for racism  "" what should be done about ( Friends ) or what should be done in your opinion  when the accusation of " racism " is loosely thrown at someone or at something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

Given what you said in your words there- as myself & other posters pointed out to you some people consider different things as " racism " as I cited some younger people see ( Friends ) as " racist " .

Because some people see it as " racist " based on your own very words " ""  there is no room for racism  "" what should be done about ( Friends ) or what should be done in your opinion  when the accusation of " racism " is loosely thrown at someone or at something ?

So Kyle Smith of the national review is the baseline for the definition of racism?

Are you just not reading my posts, I#m not sure how much plainer I could have made it. I literally spelled it out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »

I honestly can't take this post seriously. You appear to just be ignoring anything I've written in my last few posts. Absolute intellectual dishonesty on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Two points:
    Firstly censorship refers to the government not "anyone anywhere who calls me a name". If some student newspaper calls your underpants racist then just laugh or offer a rebuttal. A lot of people seem to think that freedom of speech means they can say whatever they want with no consequences or replies (shouted down").

Also intent is a large part of the law, it's what courts judge on a lot of the time. This is taken into account regarding hate speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I always thought racism was a fairly simple concept. Don't discriminate on the basis of skin colour or nationality. No point being side-tracked with irrelevant and labyrinthine 'definitions'.

So Kyle Smith of the national review is the baseline for the definition of racism?

Are you just not reading my posts, I#m not sure how much plainer I could have made it. I literally spelled it out for you.
    Im reading all posts-  the article he wrote was about younger people,s reaction to ( Friends ) not his own personal opinion,, some younger people or millennials I should say said ( Friends ) was " racist " among other things, whereas older people don,t see what the fuss is about .

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/friends-netflix-sexist-racist-transphobic-problematic-millenials-watch-a8154626.html

You are still not listening to what myself and indeed others are now saying. We are saying it's NOT subjective. If some professors or campuses are making stupid rules, that's a completely different issue. It certainly does not change what racism is, nor does it dilute it.

• Advertisement

Sure. But my life is too short to be worried about what some professor thinks I should do on campus. I'll just try to treat people equally and if I'm on campus I'll obey whatever dumbass laws are in place and get on with my life. Off campus, I have a vote.

I always thought racism was a fairly simple concept. Don't discriminate on the basis of skin colour or nationality. No point being side-tracked with irrelevant and labyrinthine 'definitions'.
    At one time " racism " was about just that discriminating on the basis of skin colour- but some people choose to apply the label of " racism " to other stuff so its a label that keeps expanding ,, as it keeps expanding " its a subjective term.

( Exhibit A )

People protesting against deportations on the basis that deportations are " racism " .

445701.png

( Exhibit B )

Some political parties believe that controlling immigration is somehow " racism " .

445704.png

( Exhibit C ) 

Some people believe a ban on ritual slaughter of animals is " racist ".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11379157/Banning-ritual-slaughter-would-be-a-victory-for-racists.html

( Exhibit D )

Some people believe have an opposing view to sharia law is " racism ",, as in the Uk a group called ( Gays against sharia ) were met with a counter protest by a group called ( stand up racism )

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/anti-sharia-counter-anti-racism-demos-planned/

At one time " racism " was about just that discriminating on the basis of skin colour- but some people choose to apply the label of " racism " to other stuff so its a label that keeps expanding ,, as it keeps expanding " its a subjective term.

( Exhibit A )

People protesting against deportations on the basis that deportations are " racism " .

445701.png

( Exhibit B )

Some political parties believe that controlling immigration is somehow " racism " .

445704.png

( Exhibit C ) 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11379157/Banning-ritual-slaughter-would-be-a-victory-for-racists.html

( Exhibit D )

Some people believe have an opposing view to sharia law is racism,, as in the Uk a group called ( Gays against sharia ) were met with a counter protest by a group called ( stand up racism )

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/anti-sharia-counter-anti-racism-demos-planned/

You are just saying the same thing over and over again.

( Exhibit A )

445701.png

( Exhibit B )

445704.png

( Exhibit C ) 

( Exhibit D )

Some people believe have an opposing view to sharia law is racism,, as in the Uk a group called ( Gays against sharia ) were met with a counter protest by a group called ( stand up racism )

You are just saying the same thing over and over again.
    Im providing examples of what some other people consider to be " racism " showing how its become a subjective term- when people different people class different things as " racism " .

Im providing examples of what some other people consider to be " racism " showing how its become a subjective term- when people different people class different things as " racism " .

And why are you doing that?
    Different people think differently so what?

Which has already been addressed.

20Cent wrote: »

"" Different people think differently  ""

Thank you so much- you prove my point,, "" Different people think differently  "" proves what people consider to be " racism " is subjective . 

( Exhibit A )

445701.png

( Exhibit B )

445704.png

( Exhibit C ) 

( Exhibit D )

Some people believe have an opposing view to sharia law is " racism ",, as in the Uk a group called ( Gays against sharia ) were met with a counter protest by a group called ( stand up racism )

So what? Some people believe the Earth is flat. Vote for people you think will apply the laws that you agree with. If some outliers want to jump up and down about whatever, then just let them off and let the law take care of them. Just keep trying to treat people fairly regardless of skin colour and nationality. It really isn't complicated.

Thank you so much- you prove my point,, "" Different people think differently  "" proves what people consider to be " racism " is subjective . 

Are you saying it's impossible to define?
    It doesn't exist?

What?

Everything we hear is an opinion not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective not the truth. Marcus Aurelius

• Advertisement

Are you saying it's impossible to define?
    It doesn't exist?

What?
    Im saying very clearly its become a subjective term as people consider different things to be " racism " once again take the ( Gays against sharia ) group in their eyes they re not doing anything wrong- but some people consider their viewpoint to be " racism " & counter protest them.

So when one groups consider something to be " racism " & the other opposing group doesn,t consider something as "racism " it shows its become a subjective term- Btw what,s your personal take by that I mean would you consider ( gays against sharia ) to be " racist " or would you disagree with the label of " racist " being applied to them ?

Im saying very clearly its become a subjective term as people consider different things to be " racism " once again take the ( Gays against sharia ) group in their eyes they re not doing anything wrong- but some people consider their viewpoint to be " racism " & counter protest them.

So when one groups consider something to be " racism " & the other opposing group doesn,t consider something as "racism " it shows its become a subjective term- Btw what,s your personal take by that I mean would you consider ( gays against sharia ) to be " racist " or would you disagree with the label of " racist " being applied to them ?

So you would rather let morons dictate what "racism" is.

Pardon me, but that's not too bright.

So you would rather let morons dictate what "racism" is.

Pardon me, but that's not too bright.
    Given that you called them " morons " I can only assume that you don,t agree with them labelling ( Gays against sharia ) as " racist " ,, but given that you disagree with them proves my point about subjectivity - they Interpret ( Gays against sharia ) to be " racist " you disagree with their Interpretation calling them " morons " thus proving " racism " has become a subjective term when people Interpret different things to be " racism " . 

Given that you called them " morons " I can only assume that you don,t agree with them labelling ( Gays against sharia ) as " racist " ,, but given that you disagree with them proves my point about subjectivity - they Interpret ( Gays against sharia ) to be " racist " you disagree with their Interpretation calling them " morons " thus proving " racism " has become a subjective term when people Interpret different things to be " racism " . 

This is just twaddle. And it cheapens a very serious topic, the topic of Racism. I find it disingenuous in the extreme, it's known tactic of befuddlement to obfuscate the issues at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I agree, at least in so far as certain people are trying to redefine racism or at least how and when it is used, anyone that tries to redefine it as 'prejudice plus power' are just minority groups that want to say only white people can be racist and also gives these minority groups license to be racist towards white people without the stigma of being labeled as a racist. The other use I have seen is when it comes to any conversation which criticizes immigration or religion(for some reason) and simple calling the critic racist is a fast way to silence these voices.

I still believe 'racist' should only be used for someone who hates some one else just because of their race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Exactly, so your definition on what racism is, will be different to someone else's definition, therefore the term is highly subjective.

I find it disingenuous in the extreme, it's known tactic of befuddlement to obfuscate the issues at hand.

Which is actually about free speech, which some people hold dear and others want to throw it under a bus because, you know, humans can't be trusted.

markodaly wrote: »
    Exactly, so your definition on what racism is, will be different to someone else's definition, therefore the term is highly subjective.

Humans have sent man to the moon. Defining racism is within our grasp. What someone on twitter says doesn't really matter it's how the courts view it.

Humans have sent man to the moon. Defining racism is within our grasp. What someone on twitter says doesn't really matter it's how the courts view it.

Next up, curing world hunger and disease....
    All by a stroke of a pen.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    Next up, curing world hunger and disease....
    All by a stroke of a pen.

Disease is a difficult one, but world hunger would be the easiest problem in the world to fix. All it would take would be the will.

Disease is a difficult one, but world hunger would be the easiest problem in the world to fix. All it would take would be the will.

Both have declined massively over the last 100 years.

This is due to more globalisation, freer markets, advances in western medicine and exporting those techniques to the wider world.

Just look at the stats in Asia, particularly China.

Socialism, Marxism has not done this, but pure ol-dirty Capitalism has done this, with caveats of course.

In particular we in the west have exported the frameworld for the Western University, where free thinking and the sharing of ideas is crucial to making our world a better place. We should never risk it, just to appease some dogma.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: I have deleted a few posts and issued a ban. Please avoid one-liner type posts.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I think the Students' Union should represent me. If I feel strongly enough about an issue I might join a protest. Other than that, meh. Life's too short to be concerning myself about some random professor's brainfart.

• Advertisement

I think it's possible to find a line between banning Nazi's goosestepping around campuses and Orwelian distopia.

I think it's possible to find a line between banning Nazi's goosestepping around campuses and Orwelian distopia.

Yes, we know as you made the same point about 47 times already. However, as has been shown in minute detail time and again, that high ideal you have is not either practical in the long run nor desireable

But I think students are just kids and very impressionable, easy fodder for borderline radical Marxist professors(or other ideology it is just this one stands out) in University who want to spread their ideas. In a lot of cases it becomes group think and a fear of saying the wrong thing when in my opinion they should be striving towards becoming individual free thinkers.

An example:

I'm more concerned about people becoming brainwashed by highly edited fake videos from well funded "think tanks".

• Advertisement

I'm more concerned about people becoming brainwashed by highly edited fake videos from well funded "think tanks".

Everything you see has an angle, I figured that out a long time ago when seeing what passes for news now a days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Give that there is no viable left wing alternative to the big 2 parties in the US, I’d have to say the indoctrination really isn’t going well.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

this too concerns me with the union funding of the repeal the 8th movement.

this too concerns me with the union funding of the repeal the 8th movement.

How is that analogous to 20c’s point?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Give that there is no viable left wing alternative to the big 2 parties in the US, I’d have to say the indoctrination really isn’t going well.

Churning out hardcore marxists since the sixties yet nothing remotely left wing has any power in the US.

Churning out hardcore marxists since the sixties yet nothing remotely left wing has any power in the US.

I think the media, Hollywood and facebook have a lot of 'power' to sway peoples minds.

I think the media, Hollywood and facebook have a lot of 'power' to sway peoples minds.

Again, the claim is that Hollywood and the Media are liberals. Yet all 3 branches of government ate controlled by Republican. The indoctrination is going badly.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They really dropped the ball with Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

This is so insane... it's overt statements of brainwash.

Like the new Thor film was amazing, but I'm hardly thinking that the Norse life is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I actually happen to work in "Hollywood" (little to no business is done there btw) but I can tell you that a ****LOAD of people behind the scenes are certainly not "liberal". They do for the most part hate Trump, but that's no surprise because he has alienated the already minor intellectual and wealthy republican base in favour of the unwashed masses base...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement