Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fine Universities that are denying free speech.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

"Despite this, The Phil have been put in a position whereby to proceed with the debate would be to risk the safety of our members. After the submission of serious security concerns by college authorities, the Gardai and other members of the student body – we feel we have no other responsible choice in this matter than to cancel the debate"

Did you miss this part?

Point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Point?

What's your point? The bit you quoted shows clearly that it had to be cancelled due to pressure from students.

What's your point? The bit you quoted shows clearly that it had to be cancelled due to pressure from students.

Oh! And there was me thinking it was serious security concerns expressed by college authorities, Gardaí and some students. I wonder what this line means so?

"After the submission of serious security concerns by college authorities, the Gardai and other members of the student body."

Oh! And there was me thinking it was serious security concerns expressed by college authorities, Gardaí and some students. I wonder what this line means so?

"After the submission of serious security concerns by college authorities, the Gardai and other members of the student body."

Ye, it definitely had nothing to with student pressure. Absolutely nothing. Wait...What's this. From Trinity News, 2016:

"One autumn as I began my third year in Trinity I learned that the Phil had invited Nick Griffin, the British National Party leader, to propose the motion that “immigration has gone too far.” I was one of the many students and political activists who decided to pressure the Phil into cancelling the invitation. I’m proud to say we succeeded, but at the time I argued that there had to be a large anti-racist, anti-fascist demonstration on the night of the debate. This would send a clear message that Griffin was not welcome and, if possible and if numbers were big enough, prevent him from speaking."

Ye, it definitely had nothing to with student pressure. Absolutely nothing. Wait...What's this. From Trinity News, 2016:

"One autumn as I began my third year in Trinity I learned that the Phil had invited Nick Griffin, the British National Party leader, to propose the motion that “immigration has gone too far.” I was one of the many students and political activists who decided to pressure the Phil into cancelling the invitation. I’m proud to say we succeeded, but at the time I argued that there had to be a large anti-racist, anti-fascist demonstration on the night of the debate. This would send a clear message that Griffin was not welcome and, if possible and if numbers were big enough, prevent him from speaking."

Yes what is it? One person posts an article five years after the event claiming to be hero? So what?

In fact, if you look at the original article, it states categorically that the only militancy was "a confrontational sit-in" by "non-students".

Let's be clear here. In a college of 18000 students, you will naturally have a cohort who will object to a far right fascist having the opportunity to spread their hate. A small minority of that cohort will be militant. That doesn't mean that the vast majority of students don't support the right to free speech. You're trying to build an argument from nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well said. Far too many people who shouldn't be attending University treat the experience as a social club and aren't really interested in the academic side. These people invariably study sociology, politics etc. From my experience, the more open and independent minded students are found in the more difficult subjects - maths, physics, cognitive science etc.

I don't think that it's this so much as a degree is much more necessary these days and they've grown to be very expensive compared with our parents' generation. For many subjects, there's no reason why material can't be delivered online via platforms like EDX, Coursera, Udemy, Udacity and the like online to save costs. Instead, it costs many thousands for no good reason. The high costs and lack of improvement in the product means that many places are investing in luxury facilities, especially in the US. Dissent isn't something many would consider compatible with luxury so it isn't surprising to see so many students adopting the old "The customer is always right" attitude and demanding big changes in return for their tuition fees. I don't agree with it at all but it is somewhat understandable.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mutant z wrote: »
    Be that as it may its up to the universaties to uphold free speech and overule those students and they are failing to do so they have allowed it to turn into an anti freespeech soapbox for thin skinned students who cant handle opinions different to their own.

Nothing is up to the Universities, except to educate. They are doing exactly what they should be IMO, nothing.

It’s the “thin skinned” students who need to cop themselves on.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Yes what is it? One person posts an article five years after the event claiming to be hero? So what?

In fact, if you look at the original article, it states categorically that the only militancy was "a confrontational sit-in" by "non-students".

Let's be clear here. In a college of 18000 students, you will naturally have a cohort who will object to a far right fascist having the opportunity to spread their hate. A small minority of that cohort will be militant. That doesn't mean that the vast majority of students don't support the right to free speech. You're trying to build an argument from nothing.

If you read my previous comments I specifically say that it is a vocal minority. I agree with you that most students don't behave in this way.

If you read my previous comments I specifically say that it is a vocal minority. I agree with you that most students don't behave in this way.

Fair enough. TBH, I kind of jumped into the thread, so apologies if you had to repeat yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irving-speech-to-college-society-cancelled-1.901075

"Ross Frenett, auditor of the society, blamed the cancellation on violent threats by individuals along with a campaign of intimidation against society members."

Holocaust denier David Irving was no-platformed.

Good.

• Advertisement

She pulled out after some conditions were applied - she was free to speak as long as the audience was students only and there was a moderator.

She pulled out saying that similar conditions did not apply to other speakers - well, duh, other speakers do not get regular death threats, there is a real security issue there.

Brian? wrote: »
    That’s shocking behaviour. Really disgraceful. As I said earlier in the thread, I believe everyone should be given a platform to speak.

I absolutely disagree.

John Waters has done nothing his entire life except stand on platforms and lecture people about his masculinist traditional baloney. He's the last person on Earth who needs to be given a platform to blather at students.

I absolutely disagree.

John Waters has done nothing his entire life except stand on platforms and lecture people about his masculinist traditional baloney. He's the last person on Earth who needs to be given a platform to blather at students.

Are you such a wimp that you can't confront ideas you disagree with? Where do we draw the line when it comes to no-platforming people? Is it anyone who dares disagree with you?

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

Are you such a wimp that you can't confront ideas you disagree with? Where do we draw the line when it comes to no-platforming people? Is it anyone who dares disagree with you?

They just don't get it, their belief of their own self importance blinded them. Look at what happened when Nick Griffin was afforded TV time, his ideas were exposed and laid bare, he lost massive support, his hype train that was speeding along at the time derailed, if he was instead no platformed as many wanted he would have been martyred and the BNP would have had a few seats in parliament.

If you believe someone's ideas are repugnant and false best have them debated, not hidden underground where their ideas go unchallenged, unless of course you believe their ideas might actually be well received by people but just go against your agenda.

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    They just don't get it, their belief of their own self importance blinded them. Look at what happened when Nick Griffin was afforded TV time, his ideas were exposed and laid bare, he lost massive support, his hype train that was speeding along at the time derailed, if he was instead no platformed as many wanted he would have been martyred and the BNP would have had a few seats in parliament.

If you believe someone's ideas are repugnant and false best have them debated, not hidden underground where their ideas go unchallenged, unless of course you believe their ideas might actually be well received by people but just go against your agenda.

Couldn't agree more. The greatest example of sinister views being challenged in an open way was when David Irving sued an American author, Deborah Lipsdadt, in 1999. At the trial, he was torn to shreds by a Cambridge historian, Richard Evans, who exposed him for the babbling idiot he is, using fact and logic. Years later, however, Irving was imprisoned in Austria and gained a huge following. Silencing dissenting views is a recipe for disaster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Cut out the snide digs please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

This is John Waters we are talking about. I've been seeing his byline plastered all over the media for 20 years!

Oh, let's have him in to repeat himself yet again to an audience that cannot stand him! Edgy and provocative!

No - tedious and repetitive.

This is John Waters we are talking about. I've been seeing his byline plastered all over the media for 20 years!

Oh, let's have him in to repeat himself yet again to an audience that cannot stand him! Edgy and provocative!

No - tedious and repetitive.

This is all ad hominum abuse and has nothing to do with the topic under discussion.

This is all ad hominum abuse and has nothing to do with the topic under discussion.

On the contrary - you are complaining that students objected to having John Waters speak, and are supposing that this is because they are too wimpy to listen to an opposing view.

But John Waters is not an edgy voice from the wilderness challenging orthodoxy - he is a man who has scarcely left his platform or put down his bullhorn in 20 years. Everyone is sick to the back teeth of listening to him.

Since his views are extremely well known, I would expect any student body to say "Christ, No!" if he was invited to speak.

• Advertisement

On the contrary - you are complaining that students objected to having John Waters speak, and are supposing that this is because they are too wimpy to listen to an opposing view.

But John Waters is not an edgy voice from the wilderness challenging orthodoxy - he is a man who has scarcely left his platform or put down his bullhorn in 20 years. Everyone is sick to the back teeth of listening to him.

Since his views are extremely well known, I would expect any student body to say "Christ, No!" if he was invited to speak.

And if students want him to come?

And if students want him to come?

Students disagree, this is hardly news.

It is also more than possible that some students would like him to come entirely to get up the noses of the students who object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

When was this glorious era where free speech was an absolute right and all views were publicly expressed. There may be protests sometimes but I think there has never been a time in history when so many diverse views are heard. I'm no expert though so open to correction

joe40 wrote: »
    When was this glorious era where free speech was an absolute right and all views were publicly expressed. There may be protests sometimes but I think there has never been a time in history when so many diverse views are heard. I'm no expert though so open to correction

Irrelevant. Sensitive students shouldn't be allowed censor speakers who have been invited. It doesn't matter how long it's been happening.

Irrelevant. Sensitive students shouldn't be allowed censor speakers who have been invited. It doesn't matter how long it's been happening.

But they’re not censoring anyone. They are expressing opposition to the speakers.

they/them/theirs

But they’re not censoring anyone. They are expressing opposition to the speakers.

Are you talking about a specific case?

• Advertisement

Are you talking about a specific case?

No. Students objecting to a speaker is not censorship.

they/them/theirs

Just like feminists objecting to the portrayal of female characters in video games isn’t censorship.

they/them/theirs

Objecting is fine. Trying to shut down a speaker, whether explicitly -Shouting down a speaker and interrupting a talk - or implicitly - requiring speakers to sign forms prior to speaking - is censorship, and should be condemned.

Objecting is fine. Trying to shut down a speaker, whether explicitly -Shouting down a speaker and interrupting a talk - or implicitly - requiring speakers to sign forms prior to speaking - is censorship, and should be condemned.

That's not censorship, it's protesting which is supposed to be disruptive.

• Advertisement

That's not censorship, it's protesting which is supposed to be disruptive.

Same thing. There's no difference.

Same thing. There's no difference.

Yes there is. Protesting is expressing an opinion which is a core tenet of a free society.

Yes there is. Protesting is expressing an opinion which is a core tenet of a free society.

So if I invite a speaker to my university, and a crowd turn up and start barking and roaring, that's an acceptable form of protest?

So if I invite a speaker to my university, and a crowd turn up and start barking and roaring, that's an acceptable form of protest?

Of course it is. If you issue an invitation you should have campus security on hand to remove disruptive presences.

Within the law.

Within the law.

Thought that was implied. Making noise is fine. Smacking someone you disagree with is assault.

Of course it is. If you issue an invitation you should have campus security on hand to remove disruptive presences.

It's not an acceptable form of protest. It's not even protesting. It's just trying to silence an alternative opinion. Once a person is given permission to speak he should be allowed speak without a mob interrupting him.

Thought that was implied. Making noise is fine. Smacking someone you disagree with is assault.

Not necessarily. For example, protesters invading an invite only talk at a university could be trespassing.

It's not an acceptable form of protest. It's not even protesting. It's just trying to silence an alternative opinion. Once a person is given permission to speak he should be allowed speak without a mob interrupting them.

Of course it's acceptable. If it weren't surely all these students would be sanctioned and/or arrested. You've just repeated your point without adding anything.

Of course it's acceptable. If it weren't surely all these students would be sanctioned and/or arrested. You've just repeated your point without adding anything.

They are not sanctioned because the University authorities don't want to get involved. But they should be. Just because they aren't doesn't mean it's a legitimate form of protest.

• Advertisement

They are not sanctioned because the University authorities don't want to get involved. But they should be. Just because they aren't doesn't mean it's a legitimate form of protest.

A consequence of for-profit third level education. If Universities are going to be run as businesses then displeasing consumers paying many thousands or tens of thousands per year each is a pretty bad idea. If the protest was illegitimate then it's a matter for the police but simply claiming that these protests are illegitimate doesn't make them so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Why would you be against people protesting? The problem is that these college students aren’t intelligent enough to tell the difference between Ben Shapiro and Richard Spencer. Any non-postmodernist is treated as a Nazi. The problem isn’t the people protesting with placards it’s the people shouting and interrupting speeches becuase they simply can’t process a different viewpoint to their own. It’s quite hypocritical and dangerously stupid that these people are the same people speaking about intolerance in society too.

Protesting is a basic democratic right but I don’t believe in the right to silence others simply becuase you disagree with them.

VonZan wrote: »
    Why would you be against people protesting? The problem is that these college students aren’t intelligent enough to tell the difference between Ben Shapiro and Richard Spencer. Any non-postmodernist is treated as a Nazi. The problem isn’t the people protesting with placards it’s the people shouting and interrupting speeches becuase they simply can’t process a different viewpoint to their own. It’s quite hypocritical and dangerously stupid that these people are the same people speaking about intolerance in society too.

Protesting is a basic democratic right but I don’t believe in the right to silence others simply becuase you disagree with them.

Are you disagreeing with me on something? What you just wrote perfectly sums up my position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do what Trump does: don't hold any public event unless its ordained as a Campaign Rally. That way, you can decide who to let in. The University could have it as a ticketed event, but good luck with that going over well with the fee-paying student body.
    VonZan wrote:
    They aren't being silenced, the simply share the same airspace and earspace as other people. They can try and talk louder if they wish. Where free speech ends is threats of violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

So sick of these right wing blowhards, making a career out of being "controversial" whinging about being "silenced" and censored. If some students with placards scare you maybe the marketplace of ideas isn't for you.

Overheal wrote: »
    Do what Trump does: don't hold any public event unless its billeted as a Campaign Rally. That way, you can decide who to let in. The University could have it as a ticketed event, but good luck with that going over well with the fee-paying student body.They aren't being silenced, the simply share the same airspace and earspace as other people. They can try and talk louder if they wish. Where free speech ends is threats of violence.

For Christ sake, if a person is so weak minded and sensitive that they can't bear the idea that someone with differing views should be allowed to speak then they don't have to turn up. It's very simple. If they don't approve of a person speaking they don't have to attend the event.

What is this rubbish about space? A university is a big place. Just do something else while the talk is on. It's very simple

20Cent wrote: »
    So sick of these right wing blowhards, making a career out of being "controversial" whinging about being "silenced" and censored. If some students with placards scare you maybe the marketplace of ideas isn't for you.

"Right Wing Blowhards"

You mean you disagree with us. If students interrupt a talk by shouting down the speaker there is no marketplace of ideas - it's a marketplace of one idea, and all others are silenced.

For Christ sake, if a person is so weak minded and sensitive that they can't bear the idea that someone with differing views should be allowed to speak then they don't have to turn up. It's very simple. If they don't approve of a person speaking they don't have to attend the event.

What is this rubbish about space? A university is a big place. Just do something else while the talk is on. It's very simple

'For Christ sake, if a speaker is so weak minded and sensitive that they can't bear the idea that someone with different views should be allowed to express objection then they don't have to show up' either.

:pac:

"Right Wing Blowhards"

You mean you disagree with us. If students interrupt a talk by shouting down the speaker there is no marketplace of ideas - it's a marketplace of one idea, and all others are silenced.

That's hardly silence, if it's being shouted down.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    That's hardly silence, if it's being shouted down.

Ye, you're right, it's easy to give a talk when some moron is screaming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement