Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FR Malaga passenger decides to use overwing exit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Few pints on board I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

I might do it - on a wing and a prayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

These cases should have an immediate fine for the passenger in order to pay for a part of the costs incurred by the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

JCX BXC wrote: »
    These cases should have an immediate fine for the passenger in order to pay for a part of the costs incurred by the airline.
    I dont blame him. He had every right to disembark. They provided no communication to him, he provided no communication to them. Its not right both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

James 007 wrote: »
    I dont blame him. He had every right to disembark. They provided no communication to him, he provided no communication to them. Its not right both ways.

I most certainly do! Does a lack of communication allow you to potentially endanger everyone on the aircraft as well as costing the airline a nice bag of money?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

JCX BXC wrote: »

I don’t believe for one second there was “no communication from the crew” and even if that was the case wouldn’t you go and speak the Crew and politely enquire about the delay before you decide to just crack open the EMERGENCY exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Sure I’m surprised he didn’t just barge in the cockpit and drive it in himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

I don't he put anybody else in danger. Its more like a peaceful protest. After all they are emergency exits and maybe he felt this was an emergency. Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't he put anybody else in danger. Its more like a peaceful protest. After all they are emergency exits and maybe he felt this was an emergency. Hahaha

The cost of inspecting and repacking the slide is significant - that is criminal damage, not a "peaceful protest". Although that phrase is devalued by how often its shouted at non peaceful ones here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

L1011 wrote: »
    The cost of inspecting and repacking the slide is significant - that is criminal damage, not a "peaceful protest". Although that phrase is devalued by how often its shouted at non peaceful ones here.

What slide...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Respecting their passengers a little by apologising and explaining the situation, and staying in communication with them throughout the delay, might just have prevented this, but instead, everyone ends up pissed off and out of pocket. Of course the passenger shouldn't have done this but....

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

I don't think the 737 has slides on the over wing exits.

Only half the price so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

What slide...?

No slide but the a/c is grounded until an engineer can attend to reset the system which monitors and locks the overwing exits when in flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Except if other (possibly anxious) passengers panic and rush for exits, jump off wings, get injured by engines that are still running/hot, or are placed in danger by being on an active apron. Ground crews attempting to assist/corral passengers could also be placed in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What slide...?

I forgot how bloody antiquated the 737 is sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It was most likely due to a lack of ground staff. This is a problem at Ryanair network wide especially late at night when it's among the last arrivals for the night.
    Lack of communication doesn't help but just saying that they don't know where the staff are or when they'll arrive probably wouldn't help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

The guy was suffering from asthma and badly needed air is what's said to have been the case.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/03/ryanair-passenger-jumps-emergency-exit-suffering-asthma-attack-7199234/

1123heavy wrote: »
    The guy was suffering from asthma and badly needed air is what's said to have been the case.

I know Ryanair are stingy, but have they started removing air from the cabin now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Was this another case of the airport being closed on arrival of the flight?

No marshaller on arrival as ground staff weren’t available (due to late arrival?) and the aircraft is prohibited from entering a stand without guidance from a marshaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

faoiarvok wrote: »
    I know Ryanair are stingy, but have they started removing air from the cabin now?

Saves on weight, up to 80kg of unnecessary air onboard an aircraft, simply pay to use the O2 mask instead, simples and save money on fuel.

They sometimes switch off the air conditioning as this saves on fuel burn.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    They sometimes switch off the air conditioning as this saves on fuel burn.

There is still air in the cabin though.

There is still air in the cabin though.

That doesn't mean the air can't become warm and stuffy without air con though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

IngazZagni wrote: »
    That doesn't mean the air can't become warm and stuffy without air con though.

That shouldn't trigger an asthma attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm going out on a leg here and I'll say I feel worse when I fly RyanAir as opposed to other airlines. Can I prove it? Not a chance, but I've always felt a little short of breath and have a raging headache after I fly with them, but I fly pretty much non-stop with other carriers and don't feel the same way.

From a purely technical basis, is there any reason as to why I'd feel this way on Ryanair but no other airline?

I agree and I'd say he's lying but it can be a trigger for people's anger. That anger results in someone doing something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I could have triggered a panic attack.
    It happened to me in Spain last summer but I sweated like a peado in a play ground and got on with my discomfort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

bkehoe wrote: »
    No slide but the a/c is grounded until an engineer can attend to reset the system which monitors and locks the overwing exits when in flight.

I know that but the crew should be able to do this, it's only a quick reset of the module downstairs, other operators have a system in place that allows this because of the number of nuisance faults the system throws up. All it takes is guidance from maintrol to walk them through the reset menu.
    No shortage of suitably qualified B737NG technicians in Malaga who could do it for them if necessary.

Advertisement