Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FR Malaga passenger decides to use overwing exit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

faoiarvok wrote: »
    I know Ryanair are stingy, but have they started removing air from the cabin now?

Well I don't know but a quickly heating claustrohobic cabin isn't an ideal environment for asthma sufferers as far as I'm aware at least.

If you read the article you'll see he was already taking extra medication for it during the flight as observed by those around him ... must have gotten too much on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm going out on a leg here and I'll say I feel worse when I fly RyanAir as opposed to other airlines. Can I prove it? Not a chance, but I've always felt a little short of breath and have a raging headache after I fly with them, but I fly pretty much non-stop with other carriers and don't feel the same way.

From a purely technical basis, is there any reason as to why I'd feel this way on Ryanair but no other airline?

My personal suspicion is there's something about the 737. I think the A320 is a far more comfortable and less claustrophobic experience in all aspects, from cabin to cockpit. Everything about the 737 is crammed, from the galleys to the cockpit. It's also a far less smoother ride than the Airbus, many agree on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1123heavy wrote: »
    My personal suspicion is there's something about the 737. I think the A320 is a far more comfortable and less claustrophobic experience in all aspects, from cabin to cockpit. Everything about the 737 is crammed, from the galleys to the cockpit. It's also a far less smoother ride than the Airbus, many agree on this.

They're sufficiently narrower that most people do notice - they were originally intended to be 5 seats across in economy but either few or no airlines actually did it.

They are generally an old design with a huge amount of grandfathered features that would never attain certification these days, kludges to cope with modernity (the blocked out window for extra ducting for instance) and other issues coming from being a 50+ year old design

The A320 is "only" a 30+ year old design by comparison but those 20 years were when the previous great leap forward in aviation happened.

No aircraft is that comfortable on the ground without AC on, should that actually be the case here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

When I heard about this happening on a Malaga flight I thought it would be a young lad acting the maggot and getting egged on by his friends. 57 is a bit long in the tooth to be at this craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

When I heard about this happening on a Malaga flight I thought it would be a young lad acting the maggot and getting egged on by his friends. 57 is a bit long in the tooth to be at this craic.

if it was an asthma attack , i could understand it. ive seen people freak out with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

An inhaler is normally something useful in these situations.

For whatever reason, perhaps his inhaler was broken for example, it still cost a nice lot of money and did put people's lives in danger, for example it could have caused a panic and an unwarranted evacuation, which can cause injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There are few situations where someone is allowed detain another person against their will, yet airlines are routinely allowed do this for their own operational convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I know I'm absolutely wasting my time, however we should not pre-judge this individual in advance. But there again this is the interweb!
    As part of my day to day job I regularly witness Asthma attacks and Panic attacks first hand. Reactions to these episodes can vary greatly from traumatic and potentially tragic to very controlled. As an aside there is also the possibility of underlying mental health issues, which are from more common than you would believe.
    Please lads hold fire and dont rush to judgement.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I suffer from panic attacks and had one on an Aer Lingus flight back in August. We hadn't taken off. I got up out of my seat and walked to the front of the cabin and asked could I disembark until we were ready, but I was refused. I needed to get off the plane or I felt I was going to die. The stewardess walked to the back of the cabin and allowed me sit in one of the galley seats with water and a fan. It calmed me down. If they wouldn't have calmed me down, in a moment of panic, I could've went out the wing exit. If it was a genuine attack for this guy, I 100% feel for him. However, he took his hand luggage. That suggests calm and planning, not spur of the moment panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

Since Malaga is a Spanish airport, I presume it has the same rule preventing the use of idle engines or APU while on the stand? I've encountered this before in Spain and the lack of airconditioning makes it very uncomfortable very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Maybe airlines need to take a better look at the process for deciding who sits at these seats instead of flogging them off to the highest bidder...?

Didn't we already have this conversation after the EI incident at ORK...?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

markpb wrote: »
    Since Malaga is a Spanish airport, I presume it has the same rule preventing the use of idle engines or APU while on the stand? I've encountered this before in Spain and the lack of airconditioning makes it very uncomfortable very quickly.

APU
    Use of APU restricted to 2min after on-block.
    Exceptions:
    - if stand is not equipped with AC power (400Hz) and mobile GPU not AVBL.
    - if air condition is required and no ACU AVBL.

From Malaga AIP; although they weren't on stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

APU
    Use of APU restricted to 2min after on-block.
    Exceptions:
    - if stand is not equipped with AC power (400Hz) and mobile GPU not AVBL.
    - if air condition is required and no ACU AVBL.

From Malaga AIP; although they weren't on stand.

Not being on stand would mean the engines are running? Air con could be provided with a minimal extra cost.
    They crew should have spoken and kept people informed.Pilots should be more aware of the conditions in the cabin.
    Having been a flight attendant on much larger aircraft i have first hand experience in people freaking out on board.The lack of a flight attendant in the center on the aircraft probably is a factor here.I cant blame the chap as we dont know the particulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Many a time I have been on a hot stuffy Ryanair plane with the heating on, adding to everyone's discomfort. I often wonder is this for the benefit of the staff who are standing at the open door and feeling cold before take off. Especially on the early morning flights.
    You notice that by the time the crew have completed their first flight, off comes their jacket and the air conditioning is on.

I try and avoid the early morning flights because of this. I just cannot stand any heating being on in a plane.

I certainly like a prompt exit from a plane and as a result I always purchase a seat near the front. At least I can get a breath of fresh air when the door is open. People standing in the aisles waiting for the door to open can be very claustrophobic to a sufferer especially if you feel trapped in the middle of a plane.

Almost as bad as sitting on the bus in the sunshine with the doors closed waiting for the driver to start the short jaunt to the terminal.
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

There are few situations where someone is allowed detain another person against their will, yet airlines are routinely allowed do this for their own operational convenience.

It's a very good point, couldn't agree more. I was once on a flight that was grounded for 2 hours before take off and the staff absolutely refused to let people off or even open the door for air. It's a horrific experience.

If you're nervous of flying and at all claustrophobic you can gear yourself up for a 2 hour flight but you are not ready for 2 hours going nowhere with absolutely no information about when you're going to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I wonder would a passenger get anywhere with a false imprisonment lawsuit in those circumstances?

Probably not, but by the same token I imagine it would be very difficult for an airline to come after someone who did this for costs occurred. Nobody should be made suffer because of a lack of customer service and poor communication, we wouldn't put up with it in any other aspect of our lives, why should we have to put up with it on an aeroplane?
    Obviously there are rules to be observed when an aircraft is in motion or in flight but once it's safely on the ground why should people be expected to sacrifice their own personal comfort when no explanation is forthcoming.
    If you tell people whats happening they're likely to accept it, however grudgingly, keeping them in the dark or lack of action in dealing with the situation and you can't really blame people for taking matters into their own hands.
    The most they can probably do is ban them from travelling with them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Another interesting question is, why was someone with a medical condition that could affect the ability to open an overwing exit in an emergency, allowed to sit in that row? The last thing I'd want as an escaping passenger would be the person tasked with the window removal having an asthma attack and a) being unable to remove the door and b) being in the way of my removing the door on their behalf..
    That passenger would rightly be subject to reckless endangerment of other passengers based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Aer lingus ask if you are willing, Ryanair do not.

US domestic flights have an FAA rule that you can't be in this condition ( waiting for a gate ) more than 3 hours if I recall

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

trellheim wrote: »
    Aer lingus ask if you are willing, Ryanair do not.

US domestic flights have an FAA rule that you can't be in this condition ( waiting for a gate ) more than 3 hours if I recall

I've been asked twice on Ryanair flights. Once they actually asked if I wanted to move to the overwing row because the was no-one seated in the row.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Speaking as someone who flies a lot, but not always in a position to drop 2kEUR on a business class seat, the ER seats are a godsend. I've not issue paying for the comfort. I actually wish they were only sold or assigned to people who specifically ask for them at the desk. Otherwise, fill them once everyone is on board.

Advertisement