Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Neighbour's aerial

Options
  • 03-01-2018 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭

So I recently moved into a new place (rental) and have been settling in pretty well with one exception.

The next door neighbour has a Saorview aerial fixed at an angle to the wall at the back of the house (it's a terrace) and anytime there's a bit of wind (like tonight!) the damn thing does be banging and scraping/twisting and it can be heard from every room in my place - even over the TV. It's becoming very annoying at night as it's keeping me awake or waking me up.

The problem is that the house seems to be mostly unoccupied (neighbours on the other side say there's generally no one home) so I can't just knock in and have a word.

I'm also not really keen on complaining to my landlord about it because it's not his aerial or fault either, but at the same time I'm not going to put up with this for as long as I'm living here.

So, any suggestions on how to deal with it? No, pulling the damn thing down isn't a runner :)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So I recently moved into a new place (rental) and have been settling in pretty well with one exception.

The next door neighbour has a Saorview aerial fixed at an angle to the wall at the back of the house (it's a terrace) and anytime there's a bit of wind (like tonight!) the damn thing does be banging and scraping/twisting and it can be heard from every room in my place - even over the TV. It's becoming very annoying at night as it's keeping me awake or waking me up.

The problem is that the house seems to be mostly unoccupied (neighbours on the other side say there's generally no one home) so I can't just knock in and have a word.

I'm also not really keen on complaining to my landlord about it because it's not his aerial or fault either, but at the same time I'm not going to put up with this for as long as I'm living here.

So, any suggestions on how to deal with it? No, pulling the damn thing down isn't a runner :)

Cheers!

If it’s loose and moving around I doubt very much it’s even in use so just yank it down or if you want to earn brownie points tighten the bolts on it for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,628 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What height is it at, can you get access to it? If you could get access to it perhaps sticking foam piping insulation strips between it and the wall might eliminate the noise and won't cause any damage to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yeah just fasten it for them they'll probably never notice. Leave a note in letter box with your phone number saying you'll do it over the next week so at least you tried to make contact. Picture needed I think so we can see how awkward the thing is, maybe it's not an easy job to fasten it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What height is it at, can you get access to it? If you could get access to it perhaps sticking foam piping insulation strips between it and the wall might eliminate the noise and won't cause any damage to it.

It's at bedroom height so no access without a ladder which I don't have.

I was thinking of calling a local TV installer to come have a look but remember it's not my/my landlords aerial either but if the owner is never there what can I do otherwise

Yeah just fasten it for them they'll probably never notice. Leave a note in letter box with your phone number saying you'll do it over the next week so at least you tried to make contact. Picture needed I think so we can see how awkward the thing is, maybe it's not an easy job to fasten it?!

I'll take a picture in the morning and add it here

• Advertisement

Pics added.. I think the problem is the 2 arms are flexing in the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Drop a note to your neigbour saying there is a prob with t6eh aerial and ask them to knock over to discuss when they get a chance. Be reasonable and open to you getting it fixed for them.

most people are unaware that they are upsetting their neigbours and are mortified when they find out they are. other people are d1cks. Prepare for both situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,628 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pretty sure that's a MMDS/Virgin aerial and this service no longer exists so system is redundant since April 2016...

https://www.virginmedia.ie/mmds/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh I feel your pain. Our local shop had a loose aeriel out the back, it drove me mad in any sort of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You could always report them to the planning officer as planning permission needed for aerials (including dishes) attaches to the front of a house!

• Advertisement

Pretty sure that's a MMDS/Virgin aerial and this service no longer exists so system is redundant since April 2016...

https://www.virginmedia.ie/mmds/

Yea, you're right. No longer needed at all. Request that the neighbours remove it and if they wont, offer to have it removed.

A lot of people, when MMDS shut down, decided that it was UPC's/Virgins responsibility to remove old aerials so they may have a hump about it but chances are they hadn't put much thought into it.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You could always report them to the planning officer as planning permission needed for aerials (including dishes) attaches to the front of a house!

:rolleyes:

Advertisement