Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying the Family home. So confused

Options
  • 03-01-2018 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Myself and my spouse currently reside in the family home (spouse' family home, mother and father both deceased) we have 2 children. We would love to "buy out" his brothers and sisters, the house was left to all of them when Dad passed. Where do we stand? House was last valued at approximately 60k so not a whole lot...however only one of us works so we're not liable to be considered for a mortgage either..so confused as what to do first!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are the brothers and sisters agreeable to selling? This is the first thing to establish.

Would they consider loaning you the money and receiving repayments over a time frame - effectively a mortgage, but from family rather than from a bank? You would need to have it legally drawn up, and to consider lots of contingencies (so as to avoid a family feud if things go wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

With one working you may still be able to get a mortgage however most institutions won't lend under 40Kish.

PS this might be better off in Accommodation and Property if you want to ask a mod to move it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 spongecake25

With one working you may still be able to get a mortgage however most institutions won't lend under 40Kish.

PS this might be better off in Accommodation and Property if you want to ask a mod to move it?

Thanks how do i do that? I'm very new on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks how do i do that? I'm very new on here!

I've asked for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

How many siblings including your husband?

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    How many siblings including your husband?
    Including my husband there are 6 children in total so quite a few!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Including my husband there are 6 children in total so quite a few!!!!

So it’s a question if you borrowing around €50000.
    Have you thought about asking the Credit Union?

splinter65 wrote: »
    So it’s a question if you borrowing around €50000.
    Have you thought about asking the Credit Union?

Yes I have, but only briefly because I thought they had a lending limit of 38k or something. I will google it. It is only 50k to buy them out we would love a bit extra to update the place, that's why I said 60k.
    Just to update the situation, we are eager to buy them out because we still often get told "we knoe you live there, but it's still our home". They throw their weight around a bit, so if they agreed that would put a stop to them doing that.
    Is it very expensive to see a solicitor?

Yes I have, but only briefly because I thought they had a lending limit of 38k or something. I will google it. It is only 50k to buy them out we would love a bit extra to update the place, that's why I said 60k.
    Just to update the situation, we are eager to buy them out because we still often get told "we knoe you live there, but it's still our home". They throw their weight around a bit, so if they agreed that would put a stop to them doing that.
    It doesn't sound like they are ready to sell.

An initial appointment shouldn't be too expensive but the number of people involved will push up the final costs of all the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you paying rent to them at the moment?

If they're making comments like that, and with that number involved, theres a high chance that some won't want to sell. All it takes is one ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Some solicitors charge €500 and hour. Some in rural areas charge less but you would be doing well to get a good one below €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Do any of the siblings want to hold on to the family home? Some people get very sentimental about that stuff.

Is there any contention re you having lived there, did you pay rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....It is only 50k to buy them out we would love a bit extra to update the place, that's why I said 60k. ....

I think you need to get the place valued now yourself. Because you might be undervaluing it and if turns out its worth a lot more, and thus out of your budget, you could be burning bridges with the rest of the family for no reason.

Advertisement