Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Spring Lane Blackpool Cork

Options
  • 03-01-2018 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I'm currently looking at a very affordable property to buy on Spring Lane in Blackpool Cork. It's very cheap so I'm worried that there may be a catch. I'm not in Cork that long so wondering if the road is known for flooding or antisocial behaviour or should I pounce on the house? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Tiernes2 wrote: »
    Hi I'm currently looking at a very affordable property to buy on Spring Lane in Blackpool Cork. It's very cheap so I'm worried that there may be a catch. I'm not in Cork that long so wondering if the road is known for flooding or antisocial behaviour or should I pounce on the house? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Traveller site on spring lane. Not sure about flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DCD162

Ya as mentioned its near a travellers halting site and not the nicest area but still a good location for the price. Limited parking and the narrow one-way street can be awkward but walking distance to town (and the blackpool shopping center obviously) would be a huge advantage.

Blackpool village has gone way downhill the last 15-20 years. Sad to see it so derelict and lifeless now compared to the vibrant village it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Harika

Cannot remember flooding there, during rush hours a bit of traffic as people taking the shortcut from Blackpool to the North Ring road.
    It seems the council wants to close the halting site: http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Spring-Lane-halting-site-to-be-closed-by-2020-d7cfce76-fe23-49db-9092-64e08ce5f8f4-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you have the time pay the street a visit day/night, it's a sh1thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

That's very harsh plenty of people living there without issue nice green area too just to note op the railway line is close so you have trains running until 12pm from 6am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Can't really comment on that road but definitely visiting yourself a few times rather than relying on comment on the internets. I went for a house near Shandon a few years back and walked around there probably more than 20 times at different times of the day & night as friends were warning me about buying in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

If at all possible try to talk to someone living there.
    A lady who worked with my other half has an unsellable house there.
    I'm not traveler bashing but properties there a cheap for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Its extremely dreary there. The location isn't itself bad, very close to Blackpool shopping/retail centre but the general area is underdeveloped and run down and likely to remain so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tiernes2

Thanks everyone for the information very useful. It's certainly has great roads around it and close proximity to town as well as shoping. I've driven by during the day a lot but suppose late night weekends would tell a lot regarding parking, car safety, activity on the green area in front and the reason for the window bars. Good indications regarding the low price though so thanks again :-)

opus wrote: »
    Can't really comment on that road but definitely visiting yourself a few times rather than relying on comment on the internets. I went for a house near Shandon a few years back and walked around there probably more than 20 times at different times of the day & night as friends were warning me about buying in the area.

Thanks for the advice. Funny you mentioned Shandon I'm also viewing a two bedroom there. Seems to be two properties close together for sale which makes me a little suspicious but it could just be the good selling market. Were you happy enough to buy or did you pass it up in the end? I know it's a big area with lots of different estates that I'll still have to check out myself, just want to gather as much feed back as possible if you don't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks for the advice. Funny you mentioned Shandon I'm also viewing a two bedroom there. Seems to be two properties close together for sale which makes me a little suspicious but it could just be the good selling market. Were you happy enough to buy or did you pass it up in the end? I know it's a big area with lots of different estates that I'll still have to check out myself, just want to gather as much feed back as possible if you don't mind.
    Where in Shandon are you looking at?

I did indeed and three years later am very happy with the move. In fact I know those houses you're talking about, not sure why both are for sale unless it's someone who was renting them selling up. Wouldn't be too worried about living there tbh although I doubt there's much in the way of outside space with either house.

There's planning permission up on Dominick St to convert an old pub into apartments & also to build a new house at the top of Hill Lane so bit of development going on in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd avoid that regardless of the cost and I'm relatively local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Personally if you can avoid buying in Spring Lane i would.

Other nearby estates that might be open to you are:

Glenheights Road/Park.
    Glenfields Park
    Hawthorn Mews
    Thorndale.

I lived in Glenheights Park as a kid, i used to wake up in the middle of the night and there were horses inside my front garden eating the grass as the site was so near.

It's all about budget at the end of the day i accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Not sure about Blackpool but I agree the village area it is very rundown. With regards Shandon, I lived in the area for a while and really liked it there. No problems at all. I lived beside the Firkin Crane. Still live close enough (North Mall) and would use the Centra as my local shop. Also often park my car on Shandon Street. Never have encountered any problems.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Not sure about Blackpool but I agree the village area it is very rundown. With regards Shandon, I lived in the area for a while and really liked it there. No problems at all. I lived beside the Firkin Crane. Still live close enough (North Mall) and would use the Centra as my local shop. Also often park my car on Shandon Street. Never have encountered any problems.

That's right where the two houses mentioned are for sale in fact. I'm only about a min away from there myself. Should the title of this be changed to buying in Shandon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Don't know too much about Spring Lane but I lived in Shandon for a while myself and I think it's a great area, really convenient and close to everything. I don't know why it's gets a bit of a bad rep but I often walked home on my own late at night and never felt unsafe, it's always busy enough with a few people standing around outside pubs, chippers etc. Spring Lane is a lot more isolated, I'd be very nervous walking there by myself at night alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

I certainly recommend against spring lane.

Fair bit of trouble and anti social behavior down that area.

Example

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/tensions-high-as-gardai-called-to-disturbance-between-rival-groups-at-cork-halting-site-795233.html

Where in Shandon are you looking at?

Looking at River View in Shanakiel, Hollywood estate and 78 Blarney Street. I've done some day time drive bys but still need to visit at night.

opus wrote: »
    I did indeed and three years later am very happy with the move. In fact I know those houses you're talking about, not sure why both are for sale unless it's someone who was renting them selling up. Wouldn't be too worried about living there tbh although I doubt there's much in the way of outside space with either house.

There's planning permission up on Dominick St to convert an old pub into apartments & also to build a new house at the top of Hill Lane so bit of development going on in the area.

Thanks for the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Looking at River View in Shanakiel, Hollywood estate and 78 Blarney Street. I've done some day time drive bys but still need to visit at night.

Dunno would I call those places Shandon area. Except Blarney Street.. I like Shanakiel. Nice area and good value on houses. I know a few people that live there. Walking up that hill is painful though!

Wouldn't be too keen on Blarney Street. You often hear of cars being broken into there. Depends where on Blarney Street I guess. A lot of it very run down. Wouldn't be too sure about Hollywood estate. People say the area is rough but I'd say it's one of the better estates in the area.

Oh right I though the same thing that you were looking at house around Shandon where I know two houses right next to each other are for sale, have no idea which house(s) you mean so or what the areas are like as I don't walk around there.

I occasionally take a jog up Blarney St & good few of the houses on the city side have been renovated but plenty more to do. Great south-facing views from the backs of them btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I thought you were making a clever joke there when you mentioned drive-by and Hollywood Estate:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0516/788745-cork-shooting-gun/

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/residents-of-cork-housing-estate-living-in-fear-and-terror-407451.html

That person incarcerated for that was from a nearby estate.

He went to school with my brother.

That place was known as a posh estate years ago.

Hollywood, Hollymount, Hillcrest and Laurel Ridge were always grand in years gone by, being on the Blarney Road side rather than Hollyhill helped but Hollywood in particular has gone down big time in the last 10-15 years.

The councils bought a lot of houses when people were moving out and it's definitely effected the estate.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Hollywood, Hollymount, Hillcrest and Laurel Ridge were always grand in years gone by, being on the Blarney Road side rather than Hollyhill helped but Hollywood in particular has gone down big time in the last 10-15 years.

The councils bought a lot of houses when people were moving out and it's definitely effected the estate.

One of the home owners there went around with petitions to try and stop the council buying the houses.

One of the home owners there went around with petitions to try and stop the council buying the houses.

I feel sorry for any of the folk that couldn't move out of there. It really was a nice estate, served as first time homes for a lot of couples who simply outgrew the houses it seems.

I grew up around those parts, sad to hear what's become of it.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I feel sorry for any of the folk that couldn't move out of there. It really was a nice estate, served as first time homes for a lot of couples who simply outgrew the houses it seems.

I grew up around those parts, sad to hear what's become of it.

I live in a neighbouring estate, and Hollywood still seems quiet bar the isolated incident in 2016.

The decline of the estate can't be put down to the council buying up houses solely though.

Many of the houses there are still privately owned but rented out.

Yes of course, the private landlords often won't care who they rent out to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement