Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recently moved into.apartment, serious problems with mould

Options
  • 03-01-2018 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

My wife and I recently moved into an apartment, at the end of November,just before the really cold weather hit. This apartment had just been painted all over inside and new carpets etc laid down. The first problems started when in the bathroom the ceiling would just start dripping,at first we thought it was the paint and it hadnt dried,so kept window open all the time, but still found it weird as it only started happening a week or teo after moving in. Rang landlord,told him about the problem, he came out, got it painted on a friday,we said grand,left window open for the weekend as we were going away until the Sunday night, came back and the paint had started dripping again.

Then the week before Christmas noticed a small bit of mould starting to appear in corner of the bathroom,rang landlord told him about it,said we were off for the week,would leave window open while we were away and that could he sort it out, to which he replied not until after Christmas so we said ok,grand. Came back after the week away,bathroom is covered in mould all over ceiling and starting to come up from the walls in bathroom, and in behind the bed in the bedroom it has started to really come up,so much so I had to throw out my pillow as it was covered in it, not before taking a photo of said pillow.

The window is the bedroom does be open for good while everday and bathroom one open from 7 in morning until about 8 in the evening,and for at least an hour during and after every shower. I also have a dehumidifier in the bathroom since after the first time with the paint problems.

There is a big vent in bedroom and a electric vent in bathroom that is working. The bedroom and bathroom walls both face same outside wall. Im thinking there is no insulation in this wall. Also its a stand alone apartment, more like a granny flat and I can see the roof around where the bathroom is has the white pvc that should be going around it broken off and the wood underneath is started to rot and is constantly damp so obviously this isnt helping as well.

Im not very pleased about this situation as we are paying more than enough for this and my wife is currently very early in a pregnancy. I would like to know what the options would be with regards getting our deposit back and moving out of this place because of the health implications. Can the landlord try and make it difficult or in this situation is it a case of he doesnt have a leg to stand on. For over €1300 a month you would think you would be able to get a solid, warm one bedroom, its an absolute disgrace.

We were in our last place for over 6 years, nearing 7 but had to move due to work and when moving our old landlord really didnt want us to move,even offering to lower the rent that he had put up to what was still below the market price so its not as if we are trying to.pull a fast one, just want a safe place to call home.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

flas wrote: »
    This apartment had just been painted all over inside and new carpets etc laid down.
    Fresh paint is often a sign that the LL is trying to cover the fact that there is a damp issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Explain it to the LL and say you're willing facilitate viewings. If he won't co-operate open a case with the RTB.

On the rent though you'll struggle for a decent one bed in central Dublin under €1500 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,952 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sounds like an external water problem, faulty roof or soffits. Ask the painting in the world won't fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

That damp will likely ruin more of your possessions (clothes etc) if you don't move out or it gets fixed quickly. Document everything - correspondence between you and landlord, damage, mould etc.

They're breaching minimal rental standards as detailed here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

Damp can seriously impact health, it needs to be fixed and/or you need to move out asap, especially with the pregnancy. I'd be very clear in writing to the landlord that you need this fixed as a matter of urgency or you'll have no choice but to report them. Sounds like they're chancing their arm literally 'papering over the cracks'.

Suggested timelines for repairs here: https://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/standards-and-repairs/

In the meantime, I'd pack clothes up in protective wrapping (sealed airtight plastic bags) or stay with relatives and ask LL to reduce rent for the time you're gone. If they're slow or unresponsive, report it.

Edit: Noting that your preference is to move out, but you shouldn't be out of pocket because of these issues, so I'd go through the required steps to ensure that doesn't happen. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Explain it to the LL and say you're willing facilitate viewings. If he won't co-operate open a case with the RTB.

On the rent though you'll struggle for a decent one bed in central Dublin under €1500 now.

It doesnt have to be cemtral Dublin. It will be noce when it corrects itself and prices land somewhere normal,

• Advertisement

mojesius wrote: »
    That damp will likely ruin more of your possessions (clothes etc) if you don't move out or it gets fixed quickly. Document everything - correspondence between you and landlord, damage, mould etc.

They're breaching minimal rental standards as detailed here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

Damp can seriously impact health, it needs to be fixed and/or you need to move out asap, especially with the pregnancy. I'd be very clear in writing to the landlord that you need this fixed as a matter of urgency or you'll have no choice but to report them. Sounds like they're chancing their arm literally 'papering over the cracks'.

Suggested timelines for repairs here: https://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/standards-and-repairs/

In the meantime, I'd pack clothes up in protective wrapping (sealed airtight plastic bags) or stay with relatives and ask LL to reduce rent for the time you're gone. If they're slow or unresponsive, report it.

Edit: Noting that your preference is to move out, but you shouldn't be out of pocket because of these issues, so I'd go through the required steps to ensure that doesn't happen. Best of luck

The preference would be to move as to.be honest I am bit freaked by the health implications for my pregnant wife and our child she is carrying. If I knew it could.be fixed and.done properly it would actually suit us better but it sounds from reading up.on it its just a never ending thing with mould

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

The problem you have there is an apartment with very little insulation in external walls or ceiling. When the warm air inside your house meets the cold walls and ceilings it condenses (dumps water) on the cold surfaces. The condensed water is a breathing ground for mould and mildew. From what you say there might also be some structural issues with the roof allowing water to penetrate.

Opening the windows in this weather wont help much as the external humidity is running close to 100% in many areas.

For as long as you live in that place your task is to dry the air inside using a decent size dehumidifier. From what you describe the dehumidifier should be running day and night. You will need to pay around €200 for a decent one.
    I would advise you to clean down the affected walls and ceilings and get the dehumidifier working as soon as possible. You will also need to track the relative humidity levels indoors. Buy a hygrometer to track it. RH > 70% is bad and will promote the further growth of mould. Try to keep the RH levels in a range between 45% and 55%. If you do that and open the windows when the outside humidity allows, you should be able to keep the mould growth under control. Also try not to let the air temperature inside decrease below 17 degrees at night or at anytime. Cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air. If the temperature drops, condensation will increase which is what you don't want.

The ultimate fix is for the LL to increase the insulation levels on all external walls and ceilings and/or to carry out any structural repairs to roof and walls.

I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I would move, mould growing that fast is serious. The landlord painted the place hoping to cover it up. Tell the landlord your wife is pregnant and your not prepared to live somewhere with these conditions, no one wants to mess when there is a pregnant person involved, my guess is he'll agree without much bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,952 ✭✭✭✭listermint

SeanSouth wrote: »
    The problem you have there is an apartment with very little insulation in external walls or ceiling. When the warm air inside your house meets the cold walls and ceilings it condenses (dumps water) on the cold surfaces. The condensed water is a breathing ground for mould and mildew. From what you say there might also be some structural issues with the roof allowing water to penetrate.

Opening the windows in this weather wont help much as the external humidity is running close to 100% in many areas.

For as long as you live in that place your task is to dry the air inside using a decent size dehumidifier. From what you describe the dehumidifier should be running day and night. You will need to pay around €200 for a decent one.
    I would advise you to clean down the affected walls and ceilings and get the dehumidifier working as soon as possible. You will also need to track the relative humidity levels indoors. Buy a hygrometer to track it. RH > 70% is bad and will promote the further growth of mould. Try to keep the RH levels in a range between 45% and 55%. If you do that and open the windows when the outside humidity allows, you should be able to keep the mould growth under control. Also try not to let the air temperature inside decrease below 17 degrees at night or at anytime. Cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air. If the temperature drops, condensation will increase which is what you don't want.

The ultimate fix is for the LL to increase the insulation levels on all external walls and ceilings and/or to carry out any structural repairs to roof and walls.

I hope this helps

The description of broken external sofits and 'drips' of water inside indicates to me there is a leak rather than traditional walls are cold scenario.

For me id be moving asap, specifically with Pregnant wife onboard. Its not something that can be easily rectified in their tenancy. May involved some major works or may involve some minor works either way id be looking to move

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

You might be right but my guess is that the drips from the ceiling are in fact condensation. There may be structural roof issues as well which are exacerbating the condensation issue. Get the landlord to check out the roof as soon as possible.

With the shortage of rental properties in Dublin, I would be leaning towards an approach of managing the condensation issue inside the apartment through a combination of de-humidification, heating and ventilation. If you can reduce the RH level inside the apartment and keep it down and you completely clean and disinfect the mould areas, then the condensation issue and the mould issue will desist and the air quality inside will much improve.

Be careful about where you dry clothes and keep the bathroom door shut during and after showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As said, with your missus pregnant, you move. If the landlord pushes back, let him know that you'll be going to the PTRB, Joe, and the local rag, about how he's renting the damp miserable hole to a pregnant woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

SeanSouth wrote: »
    You might be right but my guess is that the drips from the ceiling are in fact condensation. There may be structural roof issues as well which are exacerbating the condensation issue. Get the landlord to check out the roof as soon as possible.

Not with the Window open all day. Its a leak and from the description its been there a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not with the Window open all day. Its a leak and from the description its been there a long time.
    +1.

I have an smallish unventilated bathroom. When I run a hot shower I get a lot of condensation on walls and mirror, even with the large window open.

Half an hour later the walls are bone dry.

Thanks for all the replies,I treated the bedroom and got rid of it in there and have dehumidifier in there as well and so far so good, the landlord said he would"sort the bathroom", but I have everything documented including video and photos of everything and all our correspondence. Now the hard part,to get the hefty deposit back and find somewhere suitable, in this climate!

It's appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Can you get him to one of those damp/moisture measuring guns? Protimeter or whatever they are.
    We had similar before where it looked like damp, Mgmt Agency came round and tested the walls but they appeared bone dry
    they made the landlord change the vent and repaint.

Advertisement