Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expats who returned home to Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Havung said that i do buy my shoes from the fassnidges (whose son presents my kitchen rules Australia)in dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

amtc wrote: »
    Many many years ago I was in Perth when Gorbachev stood down. I was barely a teenager but it made the middle of the West Australian. Not the front.

My cousins over there live in malls. I couldn't live there at all.

I like Perth. I used to surfing there every morning before work. It's a really good lifestyle in fairness. I can imagine how people coming from different countries would take well to it. The quality of life insurance probably as good as any country in the world. If you are willing to sing from the Aussie hyms sheet, you'll do very well.
    The U.K suits me at the moment as a base, as I've set up my own company there. The weather sucks in winter especially, but I travel a lot for work so sunshine is never far away thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Robert Power

Worst thing about Oz are the kiwis. You will never find a bigger pack of whingers with massive inferiority complexes in your life. I do get homesick sometimes but I fully understand it's the rose tinted glasses. Watching Can't Cope Won't Cope on Netflix gets me my Dublin fix ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

This post has been deleted.

Thats not true at all. The rate of pay here is much higher and there are only a certain amount of hours you can work in a day.

I work in Engineering/construction/surveying. Surveying isn't regulated at all in Ireland. There are no standards as to who can or cannot carry out the work like there is in other countries. This affects the rate of pay, and the quality or work.

Surveying is regulated here, with standards where qualifications are necessary to carry out the job, especially for multi million $ government projects.

I can't exactly survey something a bit harder to get a few more € per hour, can I?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

OP you have do what is best for your spouse & kids. I am Australian & wife is Irish. We lived in Dublin for 10 years & back here nearly 6. We have moved back & forth a few times. Your extended family will settle into their own routines and it will not be like it was on your Christmas holiday.

As for there being no culture in Australia, that's plain rubbish. There are plenty of cultural groups and activities if you actually look for them.

The other things about forums like these is that the comments need to be taken with a grain of salt. Lots of people project their own failures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Myself and the missus were away about 10 years and are back 1.5 years now. There's things I'm missing from Oz like camping, the taste of the fruit, cafe culture and a great circle of friends (loads more things) but we don't regret the move back. We made the decision not to move to Dublin even though that's where the jobs were. It would have been easy to get work there but our pay wouldn't have been spectacular and with the cost of rent, sh*te traffic and higher petty crime rates than we were used to in Oz, we decided to hold out for somewhere else. Also, something we observed among Irish friends that moved back from Oz, those that moved around the country seemed to be able to cope with the move better, whereas those who moved back to Dublin often moved back in with family or if paying rents found they had little disposable income to enjoy the great stuff that Dublin has to offer. So that sent us looking at the rest of the country.

I won't lie, we had our doubts and the first year turned out to be a real grind with government departments, insurance and the rest but we're over that hump now. My advice would be to move back only when one has a job lined up and preferably in Spring so you get a good run at the summer, invest in excellent wet weather clothing and thermals so you can still get out and about if you like walks/hikes or a wetsuit if you like the beach, book some cheap city breaks to Europe.

I think the Dublin factor is important.

My wife and I moved back to Ireland (not from Oz) at the height of the boom.

We made the choice not to move to Dublin and try somewhere provincial.
    It was harder to find work but I think it has worked out much better in the long run.
    I think our quality of life has been better for not moving to Dublin.

If you're not from Dublin then it might be a good idea not to look at Dublin, even though the jobs market is much better there.

Myself and the missus were away about 10 years and are back 1.5 years now. There's things I'm missing from Oz like camping, the taste of the fruit, cafe culture and a great circle of friends (loads more things) but we don't regret the move back. We made the decision not to move to Dublin even though that's where the jobs were. It would have been easy to get work there but our pay wouldn't have been spectacular and with the cost of rent, sh*te traffic and higher petty crime rates than we were used to in Oz, we decided to hold out for somewhere else. Also, something we observed among Irish friends that moved back from Oz, those that moved around the country seemed to be able to cope with the move better, whereas those who moved back to Dublin often moved back in with family or if paying rents found they had little disposable income to enjoy the great stuff that Dublin has to offer. So that sent us looking at the rest of the country.

I won't lie, we had our doubts and the first year turned out to be a real grind with government departments, insurance and the rest but we're over that hump now. My advice would be to move back only when one has a job lined up and preferably in Spring so you get a good run at the summer, invest in excellent wet weather clothing and thermals so you can still get out and about if you like walks/hikes or a wetsuit if you like the beach, book some cheap city breaks to Europe.

I think the Dublin factor is important.

My wife and I moved back to Ireland (not from Oz) at the height of the boom.

We made the choice not to move to Dublin and try somewhere provincial.
    It was harder to find work but I think it has worked out much better in the long run.
    I think our quality of life has been better for not moving to Dublin.

If you're not from Dublin then it might be a good idea not to look at Dublin, even though the jobs market is much better there.
    I think people mean a lack of identity when they talk about culture. Most Aussies (or kiwis) I've met have a massive chip on their shoulder and over compensate for this inferiority complex. To deny this is pure ignorance.
    That said, Australia has a quality of life that is second to none (if you like the sun all year round, and the outdoorsy lifestyle). I would say arms and legs above anything Ireland can offer. Personally I missed family and friends an awful lot, and felt lost as a result. It all depends on one's priorities. I returned to Ireland last year to live, and was back in the UK within 6 months with my tail between my legs. Ireland is too bloody expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭witzky

Hi op. Just wanted to give a good story about coming back to Ireland. Myself and my wife lived in Aus for 7 years and are back in Ireland almost 2 years now. Have to say its been the best decision. We both love being back where we're from.

It must be said the first year was extremely tough for my wife. But we persevered because when we where in aus we both agreed we wanted to come back. For the last year we would constantly be writing lists,pros cons etc.. And Ireland always came out on top for us so when times got tough in the first year we`d remind ourselves of those lists..

We've bought a nice house in Dublin and are expecting our first baby..!!

Note on culture in aus,its there if you look for it. Equally,an outdoor lifestyle can be had in Ireland too if you don't mind wearing a bit more clothes. I loved the fishing over there and have contunued my passion back here! Going to try my hand at fly fishing in the.summer...

Best of luck OP... (keep making those lists)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

My GF and I moved to Melbourne in 2010 for work. We moved back in 2014, because I could not see myself living in Australia forever, maybe another few years, but not much longer.

SInce we have moved back, we got married had a baby, both employed within 4 months and are currently buying a house in Dublin. We toyed with other places like Cork or Galway, but we both studied in Dublin and like it.

We weighed up the pros and cons of Melbourne and decided that the only big positive in Oz was the weather.

Lifestyle is something you make, you are not restricted by location. I still scuba dive in Ireland and spend loads of time outdoors. I don't engage in racious drinking like in the celtic tiger years, and I really appreciate Ireland for its good points.

I don't think that I would appreciate it like I do if I had not lived in OZ, I learned how other places can work and applied that to a place where I have friends, family and a better working environment.

I don't regret coming home at all, I never felt Oz offered much more than ireland than a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭yagan

My wife and I were recently chatting about our time in Australia and it occurred to us that we were now back longer than we were there. We were on the post property bubble emigration wave and it really struck us that although it was a good experience for a few years there hasn't been one day since we returned that we missed living there. We gave it a fair go, made lots of Australian friends who we still keep in contact with although less with each passing year. Towards the end of our four year temp visa our sponsor wanted us to go for citizenship but we knew we weren't bothered and would rather cash out our supers. We've never regretted returning.

It worked out well, we had a house to return to, my wife got fulltime work within a month and a 50% pay raise within a year, I picked up bits and pieces to keep me busy but overall moving back was definitely the right decision for us. Overall the extra money in Australia didn't make up for what we missed about being back in Europe.

We're not Dublin based so didn't have to contend with that madness which sounds like a real challenge for others. What we did see is that Australia really suited families, a lot of people who went out to australia at the same time as us are settled once kids arrived. However chatting with two couples back at christmas they expressed concerns about the australian economy slowing and were seriously considering a return to Ireland before their kids start school.

I really liked Australia for the first year but by the end of the second year we were both missing the variety of Europe and the craic at home and found ourselves saving our holiday time for long trips back to Ireland and travelling in Europe. We had done Asia in our backpacker years so that we'd enough of that. Since we've got back we haven't stopped travelling to new places in Europe, and value more what we do have in Ireland.

Before we left both of us had parents needing public hospital care and I really can't fault the attention they received, maybe it's because it was outside of Dublin, I don't know, but they got great attention to the very end and it certainly made me wonder how much of what we hear is hyperbole. Thankfully we didn't need medical attention while in Australia so I can't comment as others have.

When we left Australia for home we visited New Zealand for a few months and we'd love to return to the south island for a few years if ever the opportunity presents, but if we never saw Australia again that would be ok. Overall it was a good positive experience but it just wasn't for us in the long term.

Lots of Irish have made great lives for themselves in Australia and long may that continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭ozbackineire

I moved back from Melbourne in July 2015 years ago after 5 years away. I did move back by myself after my boyfriend decided he wanted to stay in Oz, I decided i wanted to be closer to home. I picked up work within 6 weeks after very little looking around, I am now permanent in that same job and going for a promotion. I am back living with my parents as I cannot afford to buy by myself however being home for family occasions, birthdays, Christmas or just a chat with my mammy when i need one is definitely a positive for me. I miss the weather and the wages in Melbourne but all in all i have had a very positive experience. As others have mentioned, you will get out of it what you put into it.

I moved back from Melbourne in July 2015 years ago after 5 years away. I did move back by myself after my boyfriend decided he wanted to stay in Oz, I decided i wanted to be closer to home. I picked up work within 6 weeks after very little looking around, I am now permanent in that same job and going for a promotion. I am back living with my parents as I cannot afford to buy by myself however being home for family occasions, birthdays, Christmas or just a chat with my mammy when i need one is definitely a positive for me. I miss the weather and the wages in Melbourne but all in all i have had a very positive experience. As others have mentioned, you will get out of it what you put into it.

Its incredible how human beings can have two totally different life experiences. I moved back to Ireland for the UK, and didn't last 6 months. For me, Ireland was total misery. Everything more expensive, and more competition\posturing\bullying in the workplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

This post has been deleted.

I find for the most part Irish companies/subsidiaries play the role of subservient lickarses just siphoning off us/dutch/uk/german blood money. We're just pawns. I find in Australia there's a bigger platform to play on. I. E. Your job actually matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭dubrov

I find for the most part Irish companies/subsidiaries play the role of subservient lickarses just siphoning off us/dutch/uk/german blood money. We're just pawns. I find in Australia there's a bigger platform to play on. I. E. Your job actually matters

Based on a sample size of 3 I'd say

dubrov wrote: »
    Based on a sample size of 3 I'd say

Are you trying to make yourself sound statistically significant?

Are you trying to make yourself sound statistically significant?

Judy trying to highlight your sweeping generalization is probably based on 1 or 2 jobs you had in Ireland and something similar n Oz

Judy trying to highlight your sweeping generalization is probably based on 1 or 2 jobs you had in Ireland and something similar n Oz

It is however his/her real life experience.

Have you got anything to contribute ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

no.8 wrote:
    I hadn't realised that nobody on the island of Ireland lives close to a beach, how about that!

How many of these people in Ireland that are close to a beach use it daily? Swimming, surfing, BBQ.......daily......in the sun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

khaldrogo wrote: »
    How many of these people in Ireland that are close to a beach use it daily? Swimming, surfing, BBQ.......daily......in the sun?

Well the “in the sun” is a huge qualifier. But I have a cousin who surfs in the west every day.

First off whose Judy?

Secondly, this is a critique of Australia v Ireland not me. I'm sure your guys grasp of fundamental statistics is coming in real useful back home all the same.

Finally, alongside the false sense of job empowerment & esteem. I think it's this spiteful drudgery and pissy teriotorialness which make Irish companies horrible to work for Imo. My opinion albeit unpopular, the rebuttals kind of prove my point really, no concrete or logical responses just vitriol.

• Advertisement

First off whose Judy?

Secondly, this is a critique of Australia v Ireland not me. I'm sure your guys grasp of fundamental statistics is coming in real useful back home all the same.

Finally, alongside the false sense of job empowerment & esteem. I think it's this spiteful drudgery and pissy teriotorialness which make Irish companies horrible to work for Imo. My opinion albeit unpopular, the rebuttals kind of prove my point really, no concrete or logical responses just vitriol.

Judy is Punch's ex and last I heard she was locked up for a domestic violence charge.

If you want to add my sample, in the area I work in most of the higher end jobs are in Ireland. Not that I would call the guys working in the less well paid jobs "lickarses" anyway.

You may like your job more now but it is pretty subjective whether it "matters" or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It is however his/her real life experience.

Have you got anything to contribute ?

Hardly worth contributing if you are going to make sweeping generalisations about every company in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This is a very difficult question to answer as I believe it's highly subjective, and personal but I'd imagine being away from family and friends is very difficult, the inevitable future housing crash in Australia could very well force your decision though. Best of luck op, difficult decision.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    This is a very difficult question to answer as I believe it's highly subjective, and personal but I'd imagine being away from family and friends is very difficult, the inevitable future housing crash in Australia could very well force your decision though. Best of luck op, difficult decision.

Your right. I'd love to love Ireland, but my mind won't allow me, my emotions, reason, and logic doesn't allow me. Admittedly, having had painful experiences growing up in Ireland definitely taints things for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lufties wrote:
    Your right. I'd love to love Ireland, but my mind won't allow me, my emotions, reason, and logic doesn't allow me. Admittedly, having had painful experiences growing up in Ireland definitely taints things for me.

I know Irish people that have ran from Ireland due to difficult experiences, so it's understandable that they don't want to return, not an easy decision though to up and move a whole family

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    lufties wrote:

I know Irish people that have ran from Ireland due to difficult experiences, so it's understandable that they don't want to return, not an easy decision though to up and move a whole family

Yeah it certainly taints things. When I go back to the old places, its brings back the bad (and good) memories. Growing up in rural Ireland trying to fit to a small narrative can have profound effects. The problem is when we are young and innocent, when don't know any better. I guess I am quite bitter about Ireland, but it is quite an expensive place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Back Home

There is good, bad and ugly in every country.
    you need to ask yourself, when you wake up in the morning, do you feel at home?
    If not you need to come home.

Advertisement