Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bidding outside of Dublin

Options
  • 03-01-2018 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my partner are looking to sell up our house in Dublin and move around the summer. Decision is based on wanting more space and a bit of peace and quite , means joining the commuter route but I also have the option of working from home a few times a week if needed.

We had our house valued before Xmas at around 300,000 and would be looking to buy a 4 bed house somewhere in Meath like Navan or Dun Shaughlin , certain parts of Kildare are an option as well, lucky enough to have decent equity in the house we are selling.

I seem to be hearing from everywhere that buying in Dublin right now is very difficult and that houses advertised for X are actually entering bidding and actually going 10-15% over the asking price.

Does anyone know if this is also the case outside of Dublin in the areas I have mentioned above? Are they going under or over? I know its a bit vague but maybe someone has recently bought here and can give me some direction , just want to be realistic in what we can afford to look at (Especially for the other half!) , trying to explain that a property listed at X doesn't mean we can afford it isn't going down well :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

If it's Dublin commuter towns (and Navan and Dunshaughlin are) then the market will closely follow Dublin. Honestly, looking at the prices on Daft, you'd be very lucky to get a 4 bed around Dunshaughlin for 300k (mad I know), Navan more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Thanks , I think your probably right. Looking at our finance it looks like we can pretty much for what our house sells for , so if it sells at 300k bang on then that's the spend , if it goes over the asking price then we can spend more than the 300k...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Be sure it's what you 100% want to do.

Adding 1 hour each way, costs for car, tolls, new people/place etc.

Some people love the idea, but the reality is very different, especially if you have been in Dublin a long time.

Once you sell in Dublin, it will be difficult to re enter the market should you change your mind without loosing a significant amount.

I would suggest renting for a year in the location you're interested in, and renting out your own place in Dublin before making, what will be a life changing decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can I ask a question in here to save a new thread?
    In the chain of events of selling and buying. What's the concensus , find a new house and put in an offer first and then sell or visa versa.
    Assuming the house being sold will sell quickly in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Can I ask a question in here to save a new thread?
    In the chain of events of selling and buying. What's the concensus , find a new house and put in an offer first and then sell or visa versa.
    Assuming the house being sold will sell quickly in Dublin.

A lot of estate agents wont entertain a bid unless you have your own house sale agreed and some will even want you to have contracts signed on the property your selling .

Unless outside of Dublin is totally different but that's what l found.

I'd say put your property on the market and if possible find a 1st time buyer mortgage approved then bid on other property's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Thanks , I think your probably right. Looking at our finance it looks like we can pretty much for what our house sells for , so if it sells at 300k bang on then that's the spend , if it goes over the asking price then we can spend more than the 300k...

You would get a nice 4 bed house in Tullamore for that.
    One hour by train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Nomis21 wrote: »
    You would get a nice 4 bed house in Tullamore for that.
    One hour by train.

One hour if you live next door to the train station in Tullamore and work in Heuston station in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭kg703

Just move southside :P

Advertisement