Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rusty chain!

Options
  • 03-01-2018 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    simple one here.. I've been storing my bike in my shed which has a few leaks and wouldn't be the most dry place, but the chain that was on my bike for years never really seemed to get rusty. I got the chain replaced a few months ago from a service and it's all rusty now. I could of course just keep it oiled, but I'm thinking the service guys put a lower quality chain on than what was on it before, so just looking for suggestions for a newer one that won't rust up so easy?

Photo of bike attached.

If anyone has any amazon links or suggestions, please share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ALL chains rust. You need to apply lube regularly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is it spot rust or has it actually siezed?

If it is still moveable, a quick wipe and then coat with oil and it should be grand. Mine was in the shed for a week and the grit from the road had turned it orange, quick wipe with a cloth and a spray of chain oil, good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

There's also been a lot of salt on the roads over the last month and that would make your chain rust very quickly if you don't regularly rinse the bike down!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the feedback. It's just the way the chain I had on for years before didn't seem to rust as bad. I see on amazon there are some rust proof chains (or at least advertised as rust proof) and the prices vary a lot like this @ £12: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KMC-Speed-Anti-Rust-Chain/dp/B004X9C3EK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1514978547&sr=8-6&keywords=bicycle+chain+rust

and this at £34: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KMC-Speed-Bike-Buster-Chain/dp/B00AYXEOAU/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1514978547&sr=8-31&keywords=bicycle+chain+rust

So was thinking maybe they just put an even cheaper on on at the last service.

Is WD40 ok to oil it or is it better to get special chain lube? I just don't want it to snap on me when I'm going up hill and standing up :)

EDIT: I have been using the bike MUCH more than I had been lately, on wet roads and yes, salty roads too, whereas I wasn't using it much at all in the last few years, so that may well be a factor too and not just a case of the wet leaky shed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cormie wrote: »
    So was thinking maybe they just put an even cheaper on on at the last service.

Is WD40 ok to oil it or is it better to get special chain lube? I just don't want it to snap on me when I'm going up hill and standing up :)

WD40 just displaces water. It will work for short periods. Using WD40 followed by chain lube would be the best. A rag to wipe of the heavy grit, blaast it with WD40. Wipe again to dry down, and then lube with chain oil or similar.

Depending on the dirt (and this winter has been the worst in a long time for road grit), I typically wipe down with and old rag, and cover in lube, if its really bad, I go for a blast of degreaser and rewipe down before lubing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's great, thanks a lot :) Just as long as it isn't too far gone, but it's less than a year old so should be fine I'm sure. Might be good to buy a chain anyway to have as a spare just incase I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

07Lapierre wrote: »
    ALL chains rust.
    They don't all rust as much as each other.

Nickel-plated and stainless ones are better in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lumen wrote: »
    They don't all rust as much as each other.

Nickel-plated and stainless ones are better in this regard.

Yep...and some chains are longer than others! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Has anyone tried WD-40 Lithium grease on a chain?

Advertisement