Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking: At least 1 man dead after stabbing rampage in Dundalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

So you reckon he applied for leave to stay in Northern Ireland instead of GB? I dont think there are any flights from Egypt to Belfast? How would he have got there?

I suspect he was in the UK and took a ferry to Belfast.....these people dont usually arrive by air ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If thats the case surely this is a huge story? I wonder will the media even report it? How many more are there like this guy?

That’s the worrying thing.

If thats the case surely this is a huge story? I wonder will the media even report it? How many more are there like this guy?

Forget the story.....how many others like him are running around...making their way to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,317 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I’d imagine they are getting the idea from this Egyptian guy being told you aren’t getting refugee statement in U.K., he was then able to get into ROI completely unhindered, spoke with Gardai 2 days ago, and was told to make his way to Dublin to apply for asylum. All completely unchallenged.

Nobody knows how he entered the Republic or when. Given that there is no history of refugees or asylum seekers running riot in Ireland, it's way too soon to be drawing any conclusions yet. We know next to nothing about this guy or why he is in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Strazdas wrote: »
    For sure, but an unregistered person cannot work legally or apply for any sort of benefit or help from the state, such as the health service, housing or anything else. Their status would be akin to a homeless person with no income.

The accused appeared to have made enquiries about” leave to remain” on Monday so possibly arrived in Ireland at the weekend.
    If he was refused in the UK it’s easy to disappear there, make your way to Scotland , get the ferry to NI and into the Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Forget the story.....how many others like him are running around...making their way to Dublin

I'd say, hmm, 12 and 3/4.

Am I right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

With the jaws theme tune playing.

I'd say, hmm, 12 and 3/4.

Am I right?

If it makes you feel good then Ok...

Simple fact is no one knows....not you nor I....

With the jaws theme tune playing.

Heard they have a thing for people from Bunny Land....be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Simple fact is no one knows....not you nor I....

So what will we do. Throw out every suspicious looking foreigner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Is there still good money in the aul fear mongering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Every country has illegal immigrants.
    It’s not a big news story.
    It can’t be helped and they don’t usually cause any bother.
    They work away on the black market, lying low and staying out of trouble.
    How many Irish are in US and Aus doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Last estimate was 11 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

In fairness to the Gardai they do random immigration checks of the buses coming down into the South. They stop the bus on the M1 and ask everyone for ID. They pull off anyone for further investigation to Dundalk Garda St.

Only seen this happen once myself and it was a middle eastern man taken off the bus as he had no id 5 years ago. There are no id checks buying a ticket though due to the open boarder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hopefully Varadkar will reel in the likes of Zappone and other SJW Ministers before they go off bringing in more would be terrorists.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Nobody knows how he entered the Republic or when. Given that there is no history of refugees or asylum seekers running riot in Ireland, it's way too soon to be drawing any conclusions yet. We know next to nothing about this guy or why he is in Ireland.

1. We know he wasn’t here legally.
    2. We know he was known to the Gardai two days ago.
    3. We don’t know why the Gardai didn’t arrest an illegal alien.
    4. We don’t know how many other illegals are here, or how often Gardai in Dundalk come across them and set them on their merry way.

That’s a major border and security breach.

The problem today is....no one knows who or where they are.....but they are amongst us.

Somehow the EU has to process these people and return them to their home countries asap if they are not entitled to refuge.

Odhinn wrote: »

Can you answer the question??? Do any of us know???

Sure why dont you ring the cop shop in Dundalk and offer to take the young lad to live with you for a week as an intergration measure.....sure he only killed someone when in a state he shouldnt have been in. Added to that ring the Brits and tell them to take him back......sure he must be a grand lad and they made a mistake by refusing him refuge.

Last estimate was 11 million

Going by the facts. We know 1 guy was here illegally. We know the cops knew that he was here illegally two days ago. We know they did nothing. We know that we now have 1 dead and 2 injured people due to that 1 guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

it was only a matter of time before this happened.

Before what happened? Before someone was stabbed in Dundalk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

With regards to the terror angle here, it's unlikely that ISIS are going to claim this one, as the perp is in custody and not dead.
    NY Times journalist specializing in all things ISIS explains better than I could:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/world/americas/isis-manhattan-truck-attack.html

That's an interesting article. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Odhinn wrote: »

It's not fear mongering, there needs to be a proper discussion on this issue and we need to do everything in our power to prevent the potential problems countries like France, Germany and the UK are experiencing. I'm glad you're not in charge, but I fear those who are aren't much better.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/huge-scale-of-terror-threat-revealed-uk-home-to-23-000-jihadists-3zvn58mhq

Huge scale of terror threat revealed: UK home to 23,000 jihadists

Intelligence officers have identified 23,000 jihadist extremists living in Britain as potential terrorist attackers, it emerged yesterday.

The scale of the challenge facing the police and security services was disclosed by Whitehall sources after criticism that multiple opportunities to stop the Manchester bomber had been missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

That’s the worrying thing.

this is the real worrying thing -

“We are very interested to know exactly how this suspect came into the jurisdiction, how long they were here and who they were associating with. We certainly are appealing to people who knew the suspect from the time he was in the jurisdiction,” Chief Supt Mangan said.

errm Supt Mangan, shouldnt you be telling us the minute, hour and day when an illegal person came into the country and not asking people to help you do so?

we are an island, there is no way any person should come in here without adequate documentation. heads should roll in our immigration department over this massive scandle, though i think no politician in the country has the balls to put even 1 step in place to protect our borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Anybody who doesn't have the correct paperwork - whatever that is these days - should be repatriated in the morning. A National ID card is becoming more urgent by the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Billy86 wrote: »
    And funny enough, just about every person I know with an inclination towards Brexit, Trump or any of this 'new right' bullsh*t was also in favour of the US and other forces going to war with Iraq out of fear mongering. Which is gas these days, watching some try to claim otherwise.

I blame the person who set the woods on fire and sent the 'wolves' as you want to call them flying out towards us.

Don't worry though, you and the people claiming to never be in favour of Iraq despite being very much so at the time can plod along singing "we didn't start the fire" all you like.

The war in Iraq was justified on the events of the time, Saddam Hussein was an unnecessary risk to Israel and the Petro-Dollar Hegemony, Saddam signed his own death warrant when he decided to trade oil in Euros, Ideally what should have happened was regime change where a pro-US puppet is installed as we are currently watching the CIA attempt in Iran. But the neocon and Military Industrial Complex pushed for war as that would be more profitable for themselves. The entire Middle East would be entirely better off if they were ruled by severe dictatorships like Gaddafi etc. Ideally greater Israel would be created and the IDF have control, or else direct colonisation.

Irregardless of what happens in the Middle East it is not Europes problem and if we patrolled and locked down our frontiers then cases like this would be prevented. Racial profiing and random stop and search should be introduced. The PPS card should be made mandatory and further evolved into a mandatory National Identity Card. No proof of identity then time in the the cell until background checks can be carried out, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear, you are either against terror or you are the enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,317 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

1. We know he wasn’t here legally.
    2. We know he was known to the Gardai two days ago.
    3. We don’t know why the Gardai didn’t arrest an illegal alien.
    4. We don’t know how many other illegals are here, or how often Gardai in Dundalk come across them and set them on their merry way.

That’s a major border and security breach.

You're making a lot of assumptions here. There might be perfectly valid reasons why he wasn't "under arrest". We know next to nothing about him so far, why he was in Ireland and what his legal status was. He might have been due to report back to Gardai this morning for all we know and decided to go on the rampage instead.

this is the real worrying thing -

“We are very interested to know exactly how this suspect came into the jurisdiction, how long they were here and who they were associating with. We certainly are appealing to people who knew the suspect from the time he was in the jurisdiction,” Chief Supt Mangan said.

errm Supt Mangan, shouldnt you be telling us the minute, hour and day when an illegal person came into the country and not asking people to help you do so?

we are an island, there is no way any person should come in here without adequate docmentation.

Do we or dont we have an open border with Northern Ireland??? So how should Supt. Mangan know when someone came down the road?? If an officer was sitting at the border checking everyones papers we would be back in the 80s. The idea of the EU is that we dont have borders and that we have freedom of movement......before the EU it was the case between the Republic and UK

bear1 wrote: »
    It is understood he is from Syria but not confirmed.
    And even if it is confirmed he is from Syria then what difference does it make?

Egypt according to RTE but whatever. The difference is if he wasn't allowed to enter the country then a young man in the best years of his life would be alive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

my brother used to drive the Eurolines bus from London Victoria Bus Station to Dublin , he called it the Jihadi express,
    he reported his concerns to bus erireann/eurolines but Simon Coveney intervened
    he quit his job since

"google simon coveny peter sutherland " if you don't believe me

Jesus christ frauke, up your game, this isn't 4chan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

Doltanian wrote: »
    The war in Iraq was justified on the events of the time, Saddam Hussein was an unnecessary risk to Israel and the Petro-Dollar Hegemony, Saddam signed his own death warrant when he decided to trade oil in Euros, Ideally what should have happened was regime change where a pro-US puppet is installed as we are currently watching the CIA attempt in Iran. But the neocon and Military Industrial Complex pushed for war as that would be more profitable for themselves. The entire Middle East would be entirely better off if they were ruled by severe dictatorships like Gaddafi etc. Ideally greater Israel would be created and the IDF have control, or else direct colonisation.

Irregardless of what happens in the Middle East it is not Europes problem and if we patrolled and locked down our frontiers then cases like this would be prevented. Racial profiing and random stop and search should be introduced. The PPS card should be made mandatory and further evolved into a mandatory National Identity Card. No proof of identity then time in the the cell until background checks can be carried out, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear, you are either against terror or you are the enemy.
    what about pinning a star of david on their arm?

splinter65 wrote: »
    Every country has illegal immigrants.

i doubt theres many illegal people in the likes of Australia, Poland and dozens of other countries right now. countries who care about the welfare of the people that live there by having secure and safe approach to who comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Doltanian wrote: »

This is assuming people actually like the idea of one section of the planet being able to coerce others into following their orders. Not everybody approves of power, which is something many on the right seem to forget. None of these things count as a justification unless you agree in the first instance that people in one region should be able to tell people in another region what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Egypt according to RTE but whatever. The difference is if he wasn't allowed to enter the country then a young man in the best years of his life would be alive today.
    Thousands of people enter this state every day from all over the world for all sorts of reasons.
    We have an open border. This lad could have been applying for permission to stay and work here or even attend college here.

i doubt theres many illegal people in the likes of Australia......

I LoL'd that an Irish person would say this. Theres plenty of us in Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

i doubt theres many illegal people in the likes of Australia, Poland and dozens of other countries right now. countries who care about the welfare of the people that live there by having secure and safe approach to who comes in.

64,000 in Australia. That they know of

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/australia-immigration-stats-64000-living-illegally/news-story/1110a85f68e6483f8149f0e4fb8914f2

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    You’re trying to convince yourself that fear of terrorism = far right when it doesn’t.
    Fear of terrorism in 2018 is perfectly normal and understandable and all the terrorist attacks launched on innocent Europeans and Americans and Afghans and Pakistanis and Iraqis over the last few years have been carried out by terririsrs in the name of the Muslim faith.
    You’re trying to pretend that it’s ridiculous and racist and so right wing to be afraid of an ISIS attack in 2018 when news breaks that a man of middle eastern origin has violently and randomly attacked 3 people killing one.
    Can you not see how ridiculous you seem?

Just because it's normal doesn't make it rational. Statistically the chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are minimal. Statistically the chances of someone of middle eastern or Muslim background being a terrorist are minimal.

In the US you had a better chance of being killed by a car, a plane crash, brain haemorrhage, a peanut allergy or a mass shooter. Until last year, with the exception of 9-11 you even had a higher chance of being killed by toddler with a gun than an Islamic terrorist. The FBI have higher numbers of domestic right wing terror groups than Islamic terror groups and right wing groups have committed more terrorist attacks in the US than Islamic groups.
    Yet they're terrified of Islamists. They've spent billions on security and on wars.

It's because humans are irrational creatures. We're predisposed by evolution to be bad at analysing risk. We over estimate the fcuk out of stuff like terrorism. We're designed to hear a rustling bush and think there's something horrible in there. It's not helped by a 24 hour news cycle and newspapers like the daily mail which thrive on fear.

So yes, I understand why people are afraid. But that doesn't mean that their fear is rational. It's not.

Do we or dont we have an open border with Northern Ireland???

we have an open border, thats the problem. serious questions need to be asked how he got in, if in fact he did come through that route.
    The idea of the EU is that we dont have borders and that we have freedom of movement.

for EU people. theres a serious flaw there now that puts the security of the country at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

doesnt matter where he is from, who he is or what his motives are.

this was done by a man who should not be in the country. he was rejected entry to United Kingdom, became known to Gardai and/or immigration officals 2 days ago and low and behold, he ended up killing a man and injuring more this morning.

this just shows our country for the soft touch bullsh*it that its become in the modern politically correct and liberal world.

or it shows that regretibly, people can get through immigration control dispite the best efforts.
    but yeah, continue to rant about "liberal rabel rabel"

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

R.I.P to the victim, condolences to his family.
    Hope the two other injured victims are OK.
    Fair play to the guards for tackling the guy unarmed.

oceanman wrote: »

handily there's an islamic star.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub_el_Hizb

Used to see it all over the place when I was in Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Agree, even qualified, experienced, in-demand professionals have a tough time getting 4yr work permits for Australia.

Poland, even though they're part of the EU must be doing something differently to the rest of Europe in terms of their mass migration policy.

For Sweden, it seems you just show up from anywhere, and your in for good.

Screen_Shot_2018-01-03_at_20.18.37.png

64,000 in Australia. That they know of

Huge risk of them killing people in the name of the Pope!

Apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Going by the facts. We know 1 guy was here illegally. We know the cops knew that he was here illegally two days ago. We know they did nothing. We know that we now have 1 dead and 2 injured people due to that 1 guy.

I think only one out of those four claims is actually a fact.

or it shows that regretibly, people can get through immigration control dispite the best efforts.

best efforts? our immigration efforts are as resilient as chocolate teapot.

we are probably one of the softest targets in the world right now for allowing people in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

oceanman wrote: »

Post #638 for the Godwin, who had 638!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Oh sh*t here's EOTR!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

dav3 wrote: »
    Jesus christ frauke, up your game, this isn't 4chan.
    Are you so sure about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What immigration control is there if he came here from Britain? This entire nonsense of people wandering around the European Schengen Agreement countries without passport control is crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

my brother used to drive the Eurolines bus from London Victoria Bus Station to Dublin , he called it the Jihadi express,
    he reported his concerns to bus erireann/eurolines but Simon Coveney intervened
    he quit his job since

"google simon coveny peter sutherland " if you don't believe me

The Sutherland/Coveney/Bilderberg connection is well founded and very worrying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

This is assuming people actually like the idea of one section of the planet being able to coerce others into following their orders. Not everybody approves of power, which is something many on the right seem to forget. None of these things count as a justification unless you agree in the first instance that people in one region should be able to tell people in another region what to do.

Its called political power, with superior military and industrial and National capabilities. I consider Irish society to be superior to any middle eastern society, in that we have rights and we treat our women and gay people with respect. If a regime is not behaving in a way that is acceptable to the interests of the major-powers then it should be held accountable. If the UN had any shred of integrity then a multi-national alliance would have effected regime change in North Korea, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia and Iran long ago. As Western Christians we should are thankful to Western Democracy for what we hold dear today, freedom isn't free and it is something which has to be earned and fought for.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement