Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misuse of Disabled parking badges!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Tropheus wrote: »
    Like others here, my father-in-law has a permit and it's displayed on my car most of the time. I would never take up a disabled space if he wasn't in the car with me. If he left the permit at home and he was with me, I still wouldn't use a disabled space.

The abuse of permits and spaces is a far bigger issue than the number in circulation (which I believe is lower here than other countries as the bar to get one is very high). I regularly challenge people parking in disabled spaces without permits. Some of the excuses I get are hilarious - "I'll only be a minute", yes, seriously! "I've applied for a permit and I'm waiting for it" - then don't park here until you get it! "I left my permit at home" - tough!!

Does anyone know the law when it comes to disabled spaces on private property like shopping centres? I'm not sure if the Guards can enforce them and that's where the biggest abuse is. The businesses themselves don't appear interested in enforcing them. I've reported cars without permits to shopping centre security previously and just get a shrug of the shoulders.

Some people also seem to think that once they're sitting in the car waiting for someone, that it's ok to take up a disabled space without a permit. Lazy fu*kers the lot of them.

I posted in another forum, what I have seen a few times is young able bodied people with no permits leaving elderly relatives in the car whilst they go off shopping. The cars have no badge.
    Who's going to tackle an elderly person who is not the owner of the vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

looksee wrote: »
    And while you are having a shouting match with an ignorant low-life, you will be trying to calmly manage your disabled child into the school?

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it resolved things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Tropheus wrote: »
    Does anyone know the law when it comes to disabled spaces on private property like shopping centres? I'm not sure if the Guards can enforce them and that's where the biggest abuse is. The businesses themselves don't appear interested in enforcing them. I've reported cars without permits to shopping centre security previously and just get a shrug of the shoulders.

Basically it's private property and it's up to the business.
    I noticed with local supermarkets that if there's only one or two spaces they don't really get abused but when they have loads of disabled spaces then they seem to get abused a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it resolved things.

It might not bother you, but what effect would it have on the child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Roanmore wrote: »
    I posted in another forum, what I have seen a few times is young able bodied people with no permits leaving elderly relatives in the car whilst they go off shopping. The cars have no badge.
    Who's going to tackle an elderly person who is not the owner of the vehicle?

Me. I have done it. No Permit. No Parking. I have no problem doing it either. Those Permits are not free either.

I was at Tesco Clear Water yesterday. One of the worst spots for abuse. It was very unusual to see no cars parked there without permits. Maybe the fear of being caught is making them cop on. Several times I have seen the Garda check cars there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There was a thread in legal discussion a couple of years back where the consensus was that the Gardaí could get involved, as even though it was private property it was still a public place that the public has access to. It was the same reasoning as why you still need tax and insurance in a private car park.

My mother has given me her pass as she can't really drive anymore. I use it to bring her to the shops and mass and that.

Of course if in have the pass I'll use it myself when I'm in a rush or can't find a spot. Everyone here on their high horse would do the same!

I seriously hope you are joking. That is a scumbag thing to do. If I said any more I would get a ban.

No actually I think most decent members of society who have morals would never do the same. You are exactly what this thread is about. Scumbags who do this should get a driving ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Short term pain for long term gain. It doesn't free it up today, but it is a big deterrent to stop that driver doing the same the next day and the next day. And the same for all the people she tells about how terribly she was treated at the supermarket. And the same for all the people who see the car stuck there with the clamp.

I know one supermarket car park security guy who routinely clamps his own or another staff car just to create this deterrent effect.

Just to clarify - are you saying that you're using an expired pass?

No hers is not expired, but it clearly states an expiry date on the card but yet I have seen people using cards which look very old and tattered.

markc1184 wrote: »
    No hers is not expired, but it clearly states an expiry date on the card but yet I have seen people using cards which look very old and tattered.

The older cards were laminated pieces of card so that is probably what you saw & they are out of date for several years now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I once saw a letter to the editor of a free Dublin paper that read ‘Anyone parking in a disabled parking space is an inconsiderate buffoon and should be put in front of a judge’.

In their furious rage they forgot to add that it was those without disabled badges who they were referring to. At least I hope so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

TheChizler wrote: »
    There was a thread in legal discussion a couple of years back where the consensus was that the Gardaí could get involved, as even though it was private property it was still a public place that the public has access to. It was the same reasoning as why you still need tax and insurance in a private car park.

I think the parking bay must be designated by the council as a disabled bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I have always hated people who do this, unlike other posters however I seem to see it non stop in every disabled parking space. I used to say it to people but I got so many threats, so much abuse and so many i don't care answers that I just gave up. Maybe Dundalk is worse than the rest of the country or maybe I just see these things more, but either way am not tackling one of these again lest I be made to qualify for a badge myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's not naughty, that's disgraceful.

Not really. I wasn't discommoding any other disabled badge user. I wasn't ever in a disabled space. I wasn't ever using the badge for my own benefit. I only used it when acting as my friend's agent. The only benefit was to him, not having to pay a few quid for parking. If I'd insisted on him being with me, the only difference would have been (a) we'd have unnecessarily used a disabled space, or (b) even more on-street parking would have been used and not paid for because it'd take extra time lifting him in and out, loading/unloading his chair etc...

threetrees wrote: »
    Did you park in a disabled space with the badge or a regular space and just didn't pay because you displayed a badge? As far as I understand the badge only allows free parking in a disabled space, not regular spaces.

Regular space. I'm not a cnut.

endacl wrote: »
    Regular space. I'm not a cnut.

To use the badge without the disabled person would mean YES YOU ARE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

My mother has given me her pass as she can't really drive anymore. I use it to bring her to the shops and mass and that.

Of course if in have the pass I'll use it myself when I'm in a rush or can't find a spot. Everyone here on their high horse would do the same!

No, we wouldn't. How would you feel if you couldn't park near enough to the shops or the Church for your mother to be able to access them because someone who didn't need a disabled space had just taken one because they happened to have a relative's badge in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

No, we wouldn't. How would you feel if you couldn't park near enough to the shops or the Church for your mother to be able to access them because someone who didn't need a disabled space had just taken one because they happened to have a relative's badge in the car?

There's always more than enough handicap spaces. Never had any bother finding one.

There's always more than enough handicap spaces. Never had any bother finding one.

Thats disgraceful, i'd just block you in whether there were free spaces or not.

Why dont you spend a day in a wheelchair to see if your attitude changes.

Handicap Spaces? Are you 80 years old? That term is no longer used as it is deemed offensive.

How come then that I find it very hard to get a space? Oh wait....... it is because of ignorant 'people' like you.

Sooner or later you will be caught or someone will report you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Not really. I wasn't discommoding any other disabled badge user. I wasn't ever in a disabled space. I wasn't ever using the badge for my own benefit. I only used it when acting as my friend's agent. The only benefit was to him, not having to pay a few quid for parking. If I'd insisted on him being with me, the only difference would have been (a) we'd have unnecessarily used a disabled space, or (b) even more on-street parking would have been used and not paid for because it'd take extra time lifting him in and out, loading/unloading his chair etc...

You keep telling yourself that. The badge is a huge benefit to those with difficulties, like myself. The badge comes with responsibilities which the badge owner has agreed to and should be honoured. If the scheme gets undermined by cnutish behaviour like yours, it could easily lose credibility with the public and that will affect so many people.

Obviously, you have no moral problem abusing the badge, but hopefully the illegal aspect of it will catch up with you shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is the reality of parking problems experienced by many people with disabilities.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/the-shortage-of-disabled-parking-spaces-prevents-us-from-participating-in-society-1.2785517

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

In Norn Iron it was one in nine on DLA. In some areas one in six.

DLA doesn't automatically qualify you for a blue badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I’ve learned that Losty is a bloody troll at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Your friend is risking losing his badge if it's found that you are using it. If he has a disability that will be a real loss to him. It's good if you to do things for him when he can't himself but leave the badge at home. Use like this is putting both him and you at risk of finding yourselves on the wrong side of the rules. The badge could be taken or you could be fined.

Ah here. For God sake. You'd swear I was going around murdering disabled people in their sleep. I have my mam's pass in the car for bringing her to and from mass and meeting her friend for a cup of tea.

It's already in the car so obviously the temptation is there to just pull the audi in to a spot when I see 3 or 4 in a row unoccupied. Half the time I'm doing the shopping for her in anyways.

I seen on Facebook today that Operation Enable are issuing Court Proceedings for misuse of the Permits plus seizing it. Long may it continue.

Ah here. For God sake. You'd swear I was going around murdering disabled people in their sleep. I have my mam's pass in the car for bringing her to and from mass and meeting her friend for a cup of tea.

It's already in the car so obviously the temptation is there to just pull the audi in to a spot when I see 3 or 4 in a row unoccupied. Half the time I'm doing the shopping for her in anyways.

Doing shopping for her is no excuse. You're just being lazy, at the expense of people with disabilities.

Doing shopping for her is no excuse. You're just being lazy, at the expense of people with disabilities.

You'd prefer if I dragged her along with me. Just so me using the pass is justified.

You'd prefer if I dragged her along with me. Just so me using the pass is justified.

No, I'd prefer that you didn't abuse her disabled parking pass. Is there any good reason why you can't just park properly?

We would prefer to see a photo of your car being towed by Operation Enable and a Court Summons.

• Advertisement

If you don't have the physical ability to bring your shopping trolley to a standard parking spot like most able bodied people, perhaps you should apply for your own badge.

You keep telling yourself that. The badge is a huge benefit to those with difficulties, like myself. The badge comes with responsibilities which the badge owner has agreed to and should be honoured. If the scheme gets undermined by cnutish behaviour like yours, it could easily lose credibility with the public and that will affect so many people.

Obviously, you have no moral problem abusing the badge, but hopefully the illegal aspect of it will catch up with you shortly.

Ah, calm yerself down, FFS.

I wasn't abusing it. My pal was using it. He just wasn't there. I was acting as his agent.

Jerry* was profoundly disabled. He enjoyed painting. I used to pick up his art supplies for him from a shop in town.

Jerry didn't like the hassle/indignity of being lifted in and out of a car. He also didn't like to pay for accessible taxis. Fond though I was of him, I have to say that Jerry was a bit of a tightwad. He only had functional use of one hand, but he could use that hand to peel an orange in his pocket. :D

Now, if Jerry made things stricty 'legit' by coming along, we'd have to pack a bag with supplies in case of accident (pads/urinal etc. - I won't get too graphic). In the case of an accident, we'd have to find a pub with a disabled bathroom with plenty of floor space, and then explain that no, we weren't customers, but we really needed the loan of their jacks for 20 minutes...

We'd have to drive around hoping to find a free disabled space. And then unnecessarily use it. We'd spend a chunk of time at either end of the journey lifting him in and out, and packing a wheelchair.

Alternatively, I could spin in meself, grab a handy spot, and be in and out of the shop in a matter of minutes. And the few hours I spent visiting would be spent actually visiting, rather than farting about, doing things by the book. The only loser here was DCC, missing out on a euro or two in parking fees about once a month. And I left the disabled space free for you.

Not much chance of the 'illegal aspect' catching up with me. Jerry passed away a few years ago. If he was still with us, I'd still be happy to pick his bits and bobs up for him though.

*not his real name. Obviously.

Alternatively, I could spin in meself, grab a handy spot, and be in and out of the shop in a matter of minutes. And the few hours I spent visiting would be spent actually visiting, rather than farting about, doing things by the book. The only loser here was DCC, missing out on a euro or two in parking fees about once a month.
    Or alternatively, you could spin in yourself, grab a handy spot, and be in and out of the shop in a matter of minutes. And the few hours you spent visiting would be spent actually visiting. And you just pay for whatever parking you use, just like everyone else - and that avoids the risk of both you and him losing his disabled parking pass.

Or alternatively, you could spin in yourself, grab a handy spot, and be in and out of the shop in a matter of minutes. And the few hours you spent visiting would be spent actually visiting. And you just pay for whatever parking you use, just like everyone else - and that avoids the risk of both you and him losing his disabled parking pass.
    He hasn't got one. He's dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Knine wrote: »

Handicap Spaces? Are you 80 years old? That term is no longer used as it is deemed offensive.

I think you’re overreacting a bit there and being ageist and intolerant. I still use that term and don’t think it’s offensive. They keep coming up with new words because whatever the current one is seems to have an expiry date where it suddenly becomes offensive.

Yeah, they’re trying to be nice but what they’re actually doing to giving people more words to abuse people.

Ah, calm yerself down, FFS.

I wasn't abusing it. My pal was using it. He just wasn't there. I was acting as his agent.

I gave up reading at this point. If you cannot grasp that this is illegal, immoral and against the conditions of use of the badge, what's the point of discussing it with you?

I think you’re overreacting a bit there and being ageist and intolerant. I still use that term and don’t think it’s offensive. They keep coming up with new words because whatever the current one is seems to have an expiry date where it suddenly becomes offensive.

Yeah, they’re trying to be nice but what they’re actually doing to giving people more words to abuse people.

Do you have a child with a disability? I do. I take offence to someone referring to her as handicapped? It is no longer a socially accepted term thankfully and anyone with a bit of cop on would not use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Well my late father did, because of people like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

In some places / car parks there are plenty of disabled parking places, in others very few.

• Advertisement

I'm confused now. Are you saying that you're using the pass that belongs to a dead person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Tickets for parking in disabled spaces are probably one of the most enforced offences. The problem that arises is that most disabled spaces are on private property and unless a space is designated by the council the disabled sign may as well be a decoration. Give Gardaí the power to enforce this issue on private property and there'd be a big change.

I booked into a motel in the US recently and, the only room available was the "disabled " room which I was given as it was very late at night and no further guests were expected. However as the space outside the room was designated disabled I could not park my car there . Even thought it was on private property the police still had enforcement powers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Wasn't it a Michael Mcintyre bit where he said we all secretly watch people getting out of cars in disabled spaces to see if they're disabled enough? I remember one time when I had a leg injury I limped from one of the back car parks in work and passed a fella getting out of a car in a disabled spot right at the front. There didn't seem to be much wrong with him at all! I was limping more than that ****er! :D

As others have said though, abuse does get reported and prosecuted. I often moan about the sheer number of disabled spaces around when parking is scarce, but those few months of limping around were a stark reminder that I'd never swap with someone who genuinely needs one of those badges.

Just as an aside, can someone genuinely explain to me why handicap is offensive but disabled is not?

The definition of disable is "to put out of action"and disabled came about as a past tense of that word. Obviously in daily usage people know that disabled means that someone has a physical impairment.

The definition of handicap is "a disadvantage imposed on a superior competitor in sports such as golf, horse racing, and competitive sailing in order to make the chances more equal." Handicapped came about as an adjective from this root. Again obviously in daily usage people understand it to mean that someone has a physical impairment.

Why is one offensive and the other ok? Being honest I'd prefer if someone considered me at a disadvantage than being put out of action.

Genuine question.

Wasn't it a Michael Mcintyre bit where he said we all secretly watch people getting out of cars in disabled spaces to see if they're disabled enough? I remember one time when I had a leg injury I limped from one of the back car parks in work and passed a fella getting out of a car in a disabled spot right at the front. There didn't seem to be much wrong with him at all! I was limping more than that ****er! :D

As others have said though, abuse does get reported and prosecuted. I often moan about the sheer number of disabled spaces around when parking is scarce, but those few months of limping around were a stark reminder that I'd never swap with someone who genuinely needs one of those badges.
    Not all disabilities are visible. You can't diagnose by watching someone walking from their car. That's why we leave it to doctors to diagnose.
    Just as an aside, can someone genuinely explain to me why handicap is offensive but disabled is not?

The definition of disable is "to put out of action"and disabled came about as a past tense of that word. Obviously in daily usage people know that disabled means that someone has a physical impairment.

The definition of handicap is "a disadvantage imposed on a superior competitor in sports such as golf, horse racing, and competitive sailing in order to make the chances more equal." Handicapped came about as an adjective from this root. Again obviously in daily usage people understand it to mean that someone has a physical impairment.

Why is one offensive and the other ok? Being honest I'd prefer if someone considered me at a disadvantage than being put out of action.

Genuine question.

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/toolbox/acc/acc02.htm

http://www.onestops.info/article.php?article_id=14

I'm confused now. Are you saying that you're using the pass that belongs to a dead person?

No. Of course I'm not. Just out of interest, have you read any of my posts, or did you just go straight to team outrage?

:D

• Advertisement

No. Of course I'm not.

So you're going to risk him losing his pass for the sake of you paying a few quid for parking, or just finding shop(s) with free parking, as most people do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No. Of course I'm not. Just out of interest, have you read any of my posts, or did you just go straight to team outrage?

:D

I'm totally confused now. What did you mean by 'he's dead', then?

I'm totally confused now. What did you mean by 'he's dead', then?

He was talking about using his friends pass in the past tense. His friend has since passed away. As a result he doesn't use the pass anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

In Texas, citizens can train to become volunteer parking enforcers!!

http://www.houstontx.gov/parking/volunteer.html

Advertisement