Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel CPU Flaw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think you're conflating the IME issues with the current ones Blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Maybe. I haven't really been following it.

Are they not the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i dont get it is this a security issue which been along for generations or is it flaw in cpu that might reduce its performance.

frome one point if its flaw in security then who cares really, more attention might drive some prices down so would be good for the market,as intel cpu's are quite expensive, so naturally should drive price down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

scamalert wrote: »
    i dont get it is this a security issue which been along for generations or is it flaw in cpu that might reduce its performance.

frome one point if its flaw in security then who cares really, more attention might drive some prices down so would be good for the market,as intel cpu's are quite expensive, so naturally should drive price down.

The exploit that effects all CPU's is just a work in progress nobody has found a exploit but they are saying it can be done eventually once someone figures it out. Where as the Intel bug only Intel CPU's a vulnerable and yes the exploit was found as in it can be done by hackers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

For those with ASUS motherboards:

https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6myCC1o2

Note that while the list the BIOS version with the fix, that version may not be released yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Spear wrote: »

Note that while the list the BIOS version with the fix, that version may not be released yet.

Its reckoned that the bios updates will cause far more performance loss for home PC's then the OS level update for Meltdown.

But Meltdown has had a huge effect on the server market, some services/applications have seen well beyond a 30% uplift in CPU usage.

The exploit that effects all CPU's is just a work in progress nobody has found a exploit but they are saying it can be done eventually once someone figures it out. Where as the Intel bug only Intel CPU's a vulnerable and yes the exploit was found as in it can be done by hackers.

Of course they can. The NSA hacking tools are on the net already for anyone. The actual tools used by the NSA were stolen. The spectre one is hardware level and can't be fixed either so don't bother with the other update.

The reality is any PC using an intel chip (and others) is vulnerable though a hardware level backdoor by design.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Of course they can. The NSA hacking tools are on the net already for anyone. The actual tools used by the NSA were stolen. The spectre one is hardware level and can't be fixed either so don't bother with the other update.

The reality is any PC using an intel chip (and others) is vulnerable though a hardware level backdoor by design.

What you're missing is the IME bug can be fixed with a BIOS update (Thats the NSA deal).

The Spectre/Meltdown issues require a performance hit in software to workaround and cannot be properly fixed fixed.

The IME bug can't be fixed. There is hardware level IME in the processor that can't be fixed. That is the spectre one is it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

So now there are BIOS updates as well as an OS patch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Inviere wrote: »

The bios update will do something to the CPU microcode I think.
    This will be the crippler update, not the OS patchas.

Inviere wrote: »

There is, for some. My Workstation board isnt even on Asus' list yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ED E wrote: »
    There is, for some. My Workstation board isnt even on Asus' list yet.

How old is it? I haven'y looked up any list or if that link above was updated since then but when I looked at the list it was only the very newest boards on there.

Haswell, C610 is X99 equivalent. But yeah, it might be lower on their priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My board is on their list but there's no bios update for it. There is a software Intel management engine update.

That list indicates which version will have it, many are yet to be pushed out.

Might not be effecting games much but to say my system was choppy today with 4 VM's running would be a understatement. Which was never the case before. IO has taken a hefty hit and that threadripper upgrade looks all the more tempting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Yes it appears I/O has taken a big hit.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yes it appears I/O has taken a big hit.

NVME's in particular, ouch..those figures! It would seem going Ryzen for the foreseeable future is a no brainer?

well issue existed for decades but my question is if say exploit is developed would someone still have to get it installed delivered to the system by some loophole, making it an issue as any other virus,worm that attackers use daily to gain access to anything they can everyday as been happening for years ? Since most have firewalls antivirus soft nowadays and it seems keeps most of bad stuff out,unless one goes wondering into dodgy places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

scamalert wrote: »
    well issue existed for decades but my question is if say exploit is developed would someone still have to get it installed delivered to the system by some loophole, making it an issue as any other virus,worm that attackers use daily to gain access to anything they can everyday as been happening for years ? Since most have firewalls antivirus soft nowadays and it seems keeps most of bad stuff out,unless one goes wondering into dodgy places.

Yeah its been known for months though around the net and only in the past week or so the attention of more people have brought it into the spotlight. Just wondering who the disgruntled employee is! Speculative but perhaps someone got laid off or was not given a bonus or was made wait in line at the water cooler. :D

The issue has been known about in theory for a good while but nobody did anything with it(that we know of).

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ReZonator

Has anybody noticed anything odd about their Intel PC after the Meltdown update? I only ask because my Haswell Xeon build is usually very stable, and still is, but I've noticed a few small things since it was patched for Meltdown.

Nothing I can replicate, but the day it patched I fired up Chrome on Windows 10 and I experienced this odd artefact when looking at Reddit. Its hard to describe but when I put my mouse pointer over a specific post in the middle of the Documentaries thread I got chequerboard black lines, but just over that post in the browser. I opened the link in a new thread and the issue disappeared and hasn't reappeared.

Today when I brought my PC out of sleep the monitor and my RX580 disconnected and reconnected, after I fiddled with the Project hot key.

Now, I realise its no big deal and my video card could be an obvious candidate for misbehaviour, but I wonder if it is a coincidence that is acts up now, just after a significant patch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ReZonator wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed anything odd about their Intel PC after the Meltdown update?

Difficult to be sure its the cause, but I'd a few older PCs failing to boot and needing a system restore after this update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

My Skylake failed to start up twice in a row on Saturday now that I think of it! I just put it down to whatever I was at before I shut down... interesting!

It has worked flawlessly since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

superg wrote: »
    windows 10 update was released two days ago but I haven't got it yet. Apparently there's some issue with the fix not being compatible with some AV programs.

Edit:- actually it was just done a while ago, wasn't when I checked last.

I had to uninstall the update shortly after install, it didn't play well with my system at all, especially with ASUS AI Suite, it just wouldn't boot up and stopped my ASUS Front Base working.

What about ASUS boards that are 4th & 5th Gen?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

hellboy99 wrote: »

What about ASUS boards that are 4th & 5th Gen?

Nothing yet, but that list they've given so far has other 6/7/8 gen entries missing also.

Nothing yet, but that list they've given so far has other 6/7/8 gen entries missing also.

They have 2 x99 boards listed, out of 40+

Noticing random stutter in CSS. Its not taxing to the system so Im suspicious but it could be totally unrelated.

Intels performance numbers are out.
    https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/01/Blog-Benchmark-Table.pdf

• Advertisement

anyone know was intel g3258 lga 1150 affected,or msi gaming MB did some patch release ? running mine on 3.8Ghz OC and so far its been grand except for last few days where it seemed to increase in temps and some glitches in my regular games such as cs- rocket league i know its dirt cheap cpu but has served me well and beyond and seems intel prices are still not going anywhere on older cpu's, even thou socket is quite old by now compared to new one's from AMD and intel, since im past due upgrade for 5 years now and besides having paid fortune for my mobo rest of parts are worth nothing, but enough for daily needs.

so any future upgrade will have to be lga 1150 based,but given its early days seems general impact is low for regular home users,given scale of the issue.

Advertisement