Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellfire to Ticknock / Three Rock

Options
  • 03-01-2018 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone MTB'd it from the Hellfire to Ticknock without using the roads? I see the Dublin Mountain Way has a route between the two and am curious if anyone's done it and how long it took?

There has to be a better way to get between the two than my current route which is to cycle down into Edmonstown / Ballyboden, then straight up through Rathfarnham on Taylor's Lane to get to Ticknock via Kellystown hill - all on the road and takes approx 45 mins at a good pace on the MTB.

Have also tried going up over Rockbrook, down into Kilmashogue, back of Marley Park then up Stackstown. There is a lot of wasted gravity this way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

steamsey wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone MTB'd it from the Hellfire to Ticknock without using the roads? I see the Dublin Mountain Way has a route between the two and am curious if anyone's done it and how long it took?

There has to be a better way to get between the two than my current route which is to cycle down into Edmonstown / Ballyboden, then straight up through Rathfarnham on Taylor's Lane to get to Ticknock via Kellystown hill - all on the road and takes approx 45 mins at a good pace on the MTB.

Have also tried going up over Rockbrook, down into Kilmashogue, back of Marley Park then up Stackstown. There is a lot of wasted gravity this way.

Trying to stay relatively uncontroversial in terms of land access - an alternative route would be;
    Cross the road into Masseys wood, up that, cross the road, up and into Cruagh Wood, through/across that on the Fireroads, onto the road, tarmac to Johnny Foxes, turn left, tarmac across to the turn for The Blue Light, immediate left turn up by a stone works, that peters out into a path up onto the 3 Rock/Ticknock area.

More challenging (and possibly frowned upon by walkers? );
    Cross the road into Masseys wood, up that, cross the road, up and into Cruagh Wood, through/across that, into Tibradden Woods, Dublin Mountain Way across to the Wicklow Way and on up towards Fairy Castle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very lumpy, but the route I'd take with most off road is Hellfire, Masseys wood, Cruagh lane, Tibraddeden road, Kilmashogue lane, Kilmashogue wood. You could also go through Tibradden woods, Tibradden lane, Kilmashogue, with just as much up and down. I don't think there's any cross country route from Tibradden to Kilmashogue that would let you skip that climb. Another alternative is GlenCullen, Ballyedmunduff road which is even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Took me 4 hours to get over starting in Tallaght on the Dublin Mountain way came back via road..

Its not very technical to be honest....
    Masseys would be a great edition and cross into Tibradden via road.
    Albeit Cruagh is more or less just fire road unless you knew your way in through the forest...see map link..
    Never had a bother with walkers but tried to give them the right of way where possible.

http://runtheline.ie/course-map/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Its not very technical to be honest....

If the DMW between Tibradden and TwoRock is "not very technical", I know now this whole MTB lark was never for me... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Alek wrote: »
    If the DMW between Tibradden and TwoRock is "not very technical", I know now this whole MTB lark was never for me... ;)

Did you have the trailer with you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Did you have the trailer with you

Yes, it was full of chickenshoite ;)

Advertisement