Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out - notice etc

Options
  • 03-01-2018 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Gone sale agreed - yayy - and seems to be moving quickly. Hoping to close in about 6 weeks - all going well.

Now a couple of things that you knowledgable folks may be able to assist with:

I have been in my rented house for 12 years - so that's 112 days notice to the landlord
    I paid 1 months rent and a month in advance - have receipts for both.

I was always on a rolling lease I guess you could say but last year he upped the rent (all above board) and gave me a lease which was signed. Only noticed later that it was a 2 year lease - I assume this was so he could up the rent again after the 2 years. It doesn't end until March 2019.

I will obviously be breaking the lease as its 2 years and not 1.. will this cause me to lose my deposit? I know that's a bit of a piece of string question. There has obviously been wear and tear on the house - he has done nothing to it in the 12 years I have been there apart from paint it once. Furniture etc was not new when I moved in. I have done some painting etc.

When should I give notice and how does it work with the month in advance etc? Wait until contracts are signed and risk having to pay rent and mortgage at the same time?

Thanks for your advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Best advice would be to have an honest chat with the landlord. You obviously have a good relationship since you've been there so long. Let him know your plans and see what he suggests, you can definitely come to a mutual agreement without having to resort to the full legalities of what the lease strictly says.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Signed our contracts today so going to talk to him this week. Will have a letter ready for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tbh honest the decent thing would have been to call him the day you posted and gave him a heads up.

“Look it we ate actually buying our own place, just kett Bg you know that we may have to move out soon, when I know more firm details illl let you know. “

After 12 months he’ll have to paint it and tidy/ fix a few things up. He should be able to turn in around in about a week. Just let him know that you will accommodate 3 viewings to potential tenants. If you have many valuables you want to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

ted1 wrote: »
    Tbh honest the decent thing would have been to call him the day you posted and gave him a heads up.

“Look it we ate actually buying our own place, just kett Bg you know that we may have to move out soon, when I know more firm details illl let you know. “

After 12 months he’ll have to paint it and tidy/ fix a few things up. He should be able to turn in around in about a week. Just let him know that you will accommodate 3 viewings to potential tenants. If you have many valuables you want to be there

Advice on other threads, not to me, was not to give notice until contracts. If there was any delay then we could be stuck.

Dovies wrote: »
    ted1 wrote: »

Advice on other threads, not to me, was not to give notice until contracts. If there was any delay then we could be stuck.
    There’s a difference between formal notice and a courtesy heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FinanceDublin

In exact same boat so interested in these responses. We’re “sale agreed” on a private sale now, so solicitors going through the bits and bobs now. Told to expect 6 weeks from here but yet to sign anything... what was a courtesy heads up to landlord consist of? Just a quick phone call to let him know where things are at? We’d be keen to help him fill the place, so accommodate viewings during our final month etc, so I guess just flag stuff like that and generally try and be decent and flexible?

Just a call explaining to him you are bidding on a place and expect to get it and you’ll keep him in the loop. That will let him start thinking about getting things ready, painter lined up, any handy men , your deposit. Etc and so on.

Advertisement