Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trucking general chat - was Forum/Sub-forum proposal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

neris wrote: »
    not done lessons since before halloween. id book the test back in october and got a date in january but i was away and hadnt been driving so postponed it. ive done the test once that got a heap of lessons but stopped n then went back for more lessons months later and thats where i am now. booked into do the test in finglas. would have got the test 1st time but the gearbox on the truck was banjaxed

I remember you mentioning the gearbox issue.

Get at least 5 lessons unless an instructor says you need otherwise.

You’re ok with 3/3 and 4/4 gearboxes are you? Never mind the half gears for the test, you won’t need them.

Is it a maximum of once or twice you’re allowed to reschedule?

The advantage you have is you know what’s ahead of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

twice to reschedule. the instructir i got lessons with after failing the 1st test was a right dull bore with no personality and put me off. the last instructor i had was good. best instructor ive on had on hgvs was for bus and rigid lessons but he didnt do artic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

911s wrote: »
    Can you explain your thinking here, cars legally parked outside owners homes in residential street and looks like enough room left to allow other cars to pass through and you think they should think differently and expect to have a truck down their quiet street on a Saturday morning. Surely it’s the transport manager for the builders suppliers who should have a knowledge of his local area who needs to think differently, and perhaps plan to use a vehicle more suitable for residential area or bread down delivery into smaller units.
    The expectation of truck driver to think he is justified in getting people out of bed on Saturday morning to allow his truck through is the type of thing that would just add ammunition to the anti-truck lobby

Have you ever driven a truck/bus

Neris you'll be fine you've been through it and know what's coming you'll fly through it

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

Rave.ef wrote: »
    Have you ever driven a truck/bus

I'd like to know how he gets his bins collected

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    I'd like to know how he gets his bins collected

Probably pays €6/7 for those bins in the local filling stations.

Or else if he does have a bin collection and they couldn't gain access he'd be the first one to ring up complaining.

When i was with Greenstar and seen a road like that, i just took a photo of the obstruction and drove on, once i had the photo my back was covered as the head office had GPS to show i was there as well.

Dear god i'm in love :eek:

Dear god i'm in love :eek:

I think it looks terrible. I'm not into light bars, name plates and all that lark I especially despise frilly tassled curtains on a truck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

I think it looks terrible. I'm not into light bars, name plates and all that lark I especially despise frilly tassled curtains on a truck

Looks like a truck version of Knight Rider... Awful

Ah Jasus lads she’s a class rig.

I’d have her in my fleet any day.

It’d look good on a motorway at night when lit up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Who we sending next year to represent our trucking forum?

https://www.facebook.com/DailyMail/videos/1611299095617671/

Who we sending next year to represent our trucking forum?

https://www.facebook.com/DailyMail/videos/1611299095617671/

I’ve 2 people in mind for the competition itself:

Truckermal & Rustynut

The rest of us can use it as research for the following year :pac:

Some times less is more:D

• Advertisement

Except for that Renault my dear god

Except for that Renault my dear god

A show truck.

You’d nearly be able to have a disco in it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That's some machine.

As far as the 2 stroke diesel as far as I know it was only good for site work. Would be clane useless to pull up a hill:p

Cie / Irish Rail, had Bedford TM tractor units with 2 stroke Detroit diesels fitted , fine looking truck in its day, very noisy high revving, a neighbour used to drive one.

I know it's another American yoke but cool VR video.
    https://youtu.be/uRqUfCXBM4g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/my-new-overland-project.148493/

Check this thread out on another forum I frequent.. if you like trucks, and something a bit different.. MAN Dakar truck to be converted for overland travel..

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

zKS7Cbw.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭audiavantawx

Had to look at this a few times
    I taugt it was photo shopped haha

Trailers well able for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Vroom, vroom...

Would be nice if mods could embed the pics...

coolbeans wrote: »
    Vroom, vroom...

Would be nice if mods could embed the pics...

Not a big iveco fan but she is nice.

Not a big iveco fan but she is nice.

Did my Rigid test in a Ford Iveco, far more superior to the Fiat Iveco i drove at the same time, both trucks were on the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

Nice pictures Coolbeans. Is it an all Iveco fleet. If yes is that because both NH and Iveco were part of or owned by Ford, or is there still a connection. Dont Iveco supply tractor / harvester engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

bren11 wrote: »
    Nice pictures Coolbeans. Is it an all Iveco fleet. If yes is that because both NH and Iveco were part of or owned by Ford, or is there still a connection. Dont Iveco supply tractor / harvester engines.

Fiat own both CNH and Iveco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

bren11 wrote: »

Yes, it's an all Iveco fleet, could hardly be anything else with the parent company being FIAT. Finish isn't great on them but the engines are well respected. FPT, FIAT Power Train are a big player. There's zero connection with Ford AFAIk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

Yes, my father always said that Fiat have always made good industrial engines, as were fitted in Fiat Allis dozers.

• Advertisement

Snapchat-1997611385.jpg

MAN I had in my last job. Manual very rare to see anything 08 onward with a stick coming up outa the floor:P

Snapchat-1997611385.jpg

MAN I had in my last job. Manual very rare to see anything 08 onward with a stick coming up outa the floor:P

Paul & Jenny Ladd, very rare sighting for me.

Lovely truck to drive that was and nice looking truck too.

Lovely truck to drive that was and nice looking truck too.

Was that the first artic you drove after getting the licence?

She looks well to be fair.

Which of the 2 do you prefer though? 08 or 12?

Was that the first artic you drove after getting the licence?

She looks well to be fair.

Which of the 2 do you prefer though? 08 or 12?

I don't have a pic of the first one i drove after the test. Was a 6x2 fm at the milk.

Paul's MAN there was actually the 11 one had a tg 08 too but no pic of that. Both trucks are actually the exact same comfort wise but the 11 manual one seemed little more powerful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/9094205563

Wasn't for these lads I was driving but more or less identical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/9094205563

Wasn't for these lads I was driving but more or less identical.
    That's the company my father used to drive for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

+ 1

I'd be game ball.............still have licence and hazchem

Gavman84 wrote: »
    That's the company my father used to drive for!

Did he enjoy the milk. Do you drive yourself.

• Advertisement

Did he enjoy the milk. Do you drive yourself.
    No I dont drive. He did milk and some container work also along with multi drop to lads that supplied shops up in limerick and tipp etc.
    He didnt mind milk too much I think he preferred it to doing the containers etc as your starting early but also finished early. Other jobs could be late ones. He did always say to me dont ever do it lol hence why Im in IT :pac:
    I love driving so I think its a job I wouldnt have minded! Have a nice FH to drive around in I be happy out I say.

No I dont drive. He did milk and some container work also along with multi drop to lads that supplied shops up in limerick and tipp etc.
    He didnt mind milk too much I think he preferred it to doing the containers etc as your starting early but also finished early. Other jobs could be late ones. He did always say to me dont ever do it lol hence why Im in IT :pac:
    I love driving so I think its a job I wouldnt have minded! Have a nice FH to drive around in I be happy out I say.

My oul lad used say the same didn't stop me tho:pac:
    The only thing I found with the milk is its very repetitive same run every second day. With the containers I have a few usual spots but nearly always something new every week.

The only thing I found with the milk is its very repetitive same run every second day. With the containers I have a few usual spots but nearly always something new every week.

How do you find the container work? Is it all full load or split loads? You doing runs all over the country?
    Wouldnt mind doing the containers myself,Only was in the docks in dublin a few times as a passenger to see how things run

Any haulier who is looking for drivers always wants experience at container work but dont want to show any newbies to it,did you notice that when u started?

How do you find the container work? Is it all full load or split loads? You doing runs all over the country?
    Wouldnt mind doing the containers myself,Only was in the docks in dublin a few times as a passenger to see how things run

Any haulier who is looking for drivers always wants experience at container work but dont want to show any newbies to it,did you notice that when u started?

I've never done container work myself, but when i was trying to get a start it was absolute hell.

2 years slaving away at multi drop in Tesco eventually opened other doors to me with alot of persistence to other employers, it took off from there.

The excuse for not taking people with experience is all down to insurance, or at least that was the excuse they were banging like a cherokee drum.

I've never done container work myself, but when i was trying to get a start it was absolute hell.

2 years slaving away at multi drop in Tesco eventually opened other doors to me with alot of persistence to other employers, it took off from there.

The excuse for not taking people with experience is all down to insurance, or at least that was the excuse they were banging like a cherokee drum.

Ye i know what you mean,I have found things get done quicker when you know somebody
    Multi drop artic work for tescos was it? Is the dhl work for them full load or multi drop do you know? Nice fresh volvos they have at it

Ye i know the insurance excuse,there will have to be a big change in that soon i reckon,seems to be loads of companies screaming for drivers,I dont have the usual 2 to 3 years experience they look for myself so my hands are tied when applying for things

Ya it was repetitive alright I guess. I used to prefer when he was on containers used to see lot more the country! Also the milk can be a messy enough job lot of farms wouldnt be the cleanest and dragging the hose around the place muck all over it etc. Least they were back when he was doing it might have had to clean it up since id hope so. I used to be sent on top the tank some times when was getting close to full so wouldn't overflow :pac:

• Advertisement

Ye i know what you mean,I have found things get done quicker when you know somebody
    Multi drop artic work for tescos was it? Is the dhl work for them full load or multi drop do you know? Nice fresh volvos they have at it

Ye i know the insurance excuse,there will have to be a big change in that soon i reckon,seems to be loads of companies screaming for drivers,I dont have the usual 2 to 3 years experience they look for myself so my hands are tied when applying for things

Never drove artics for Tesco, just the home shopping vans, hourly wage was good but the hours were crap, i was getting between 20 & 25 hours a week across 5 days.

The trailers are all fully loaded and it's multi drop,anywhere between 2 & 4 stores.

If they haven't changed their attitude by now in relation to the driver shortage, i don't think they will unless it gets to a critical stage,which while bad,it isn't at that level.

I have plenty of experience but not as much in artics, but i'm already in the door now so that bit is building up.

You can be sure if they up the money the industry will recover,but they are all saying it's cut throat and no money is being made.

How can that be the case if they are able to either purchase or finance new trucks and trailers?

I'd love to really dig deep into a company's books to see what's really going on between income and expenditure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Mostly a full loads but you can get the odd 2 /3 parter.
    All depending mostly we are around Munster. Dublin and Belfast can be commonish and the odd bit up west. Good variety of stuff tho between flats and curtinside containers too.

On the experience side I did find it impossible to get a start but I was always aiming for the artic. But once I got my start there has always been plenty more options.

Ya it was repetitive alright I guess. I used to prefer when he was on containers used to see lot more the country! Also the milk can be a messy enough job lot of farms wouldnt be the cleanest and dragging the hose around the place muck all over it etc. Least they were back when he was doing it might have had to clean it up since id hope so. I used to be sent on top the tank some times when was getting close to full so wouldn't overflow :pac:

Some of the younger lads keep the farm a lot cleaner then the older generation but there were still some frightening places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

How can that be the case if they are able to either purchase or finance new trucks and trailers?

I'd love to really dig deep into a company's books to see what's really going on between income and expenditure.[/quote]

Its the old juggling trick really. Bid for work at a very keen price to get it, minimum cost really. Then go looking at vehicles and when the finance guy starts the hard questions you say well we just secured a contract with XYX Ltd and its going to be worth XX,000 euros per month. Leveraging one thing off another but the risk is that there is no fund's there in reserve if the contract goes belly up. Trade in the units after 5 years or whenever and you upgrade the year for OK money as the salesman has a good used unit to sell on...and the merry-go-round continues !

• Advertisement
Advertisement