Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trucking general chat - was Forum/Sub-forum proposal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Id love to get stuck into the books of a company too. More to see the running cost. Diesal alone would be frightening then maintenance tyres tax insurance then wages.
    More then likely a 60 day account setup with payment too... some headache id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Rave.ef wrote: »
    Id love to get stuck into the books of a company too. More to see the running cost. Diesal alone would be frightening then maintenance tyres tax insurance then wages.
    More then likely a 60 day account setup with payment too... some headache id say.

I filled my Scania every 7-10 days depending on where I was going, that was 1400 for both tanks. Just say ex vat that was €1 a litre, €1400 a week to 10 days.

A clutch in an Iveco Eurocargo was roughly €2000 all in for a manual.

Had a mirror knocked off my Volvo another time €800

Had to get a tyre once in my disaster link days for a MAN tgm Rigid, cost €365.

Insurance with a former employer rose by €25k just for the trucks 2 years ago.

On the plus side, the tax has come down drastically.

The most any truck pays now is €900 per year maximum.

Some of my old trucks were €4300 a year before this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

Multi drop artic work for tescos was it? Is the dhl work for them full load or multi drop do you know? Nice fresh volvos they have at it

Did agency driving for DHL/Tesco. Usually delivering to 1 store, 2 at the most with 1 trailer. If short runs around Dublin, then you may get 2 or 3 trailers to deliver. If 1 store there may be a backload from 1 of their suppliers. Usually night driving, or early morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I had a look through the accounts of a company i was looking to buy last year. All domestic work, did most of their own maintenance and tyres but costs were unreal. Insurance was through the roof & diesel was lower in price then. 60-90 days for payment depending on customer. They had a bit of debt owing and an over draft but no excessive borrowing and a fleet of 08 to 2012 artics. Wasn't worth it in the end as the profit they made was less then 5% and the guy running it was on a measly salary

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭audiavantawx

Mostly a full loads but you can get the odd 2 /3 parter.
    All depending mostly we are around Munster. Dublin and Belfast can be commonish and the odd bit up west. Good variety of stuff tho between flats and curtinside containers too.

On the experience side I did find it impossible to get a start but I was always aiming for the artic. But once I got my start there has always been plenty more options.

I guess that s my problem too,I have had no real interest in driving the rigids,just wanted to get myself doing artic work

Got the artic licence really close to the rigid so maybe that was my problem

Was doing fridge work full loads doing nights,really enjoyed it but i could not get used to doing night work atal.I wasnt able to shut down when i came home and usually ended up with no sleep atal,Could not function

I guess another problem is i just look for nationwide work,Id rather a 10/12 hour day driving than sitting around dublin city for 8/10 in traffic,Drive you mental

Its good to hear all the diferent feedback from drivers on all types of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Gavman84 wrote: »
    No I dont drive. He did milk and some container work also along with multi drop to lads that supplied shops up in limerick and tipp etc.
    I love driving so I think its a job I wouldnt have minded! Have a nice FH to drive around in I be happy out I say.

Is this the FH you mean 😁!!!

th.jpg

What are people's opinions on whether or not drivers should have union's?

What are people's opinions on whether or not drivers should have union's?

It's a bit of a funny one when it might be a smaller company but prob be no harm with the bigger lads.

Sometimes politics can put a big divide between drivers and manager's with a smaller fleet where drivers are probably going to be looked after best they can anyway. But there are also places where TPM don't give two s##ts about drivers and need to be taken down a peg.

I guess that s my problem too,I have had no real interest in driving the rigids,just wanted to get myself doing artic work

Was doing fridge work full loads doing nights,really enjoyed it but i could not get used to doing night work atal.I wasnt able to shut down when i came home and usually ended up with no sleep atal,Could not function

I guess another problem is i just look for nationwide work,Id rather a 10/12 hour day driving than sitting around dublin city for 8/10 in traffic,Drive you mental

Are you based in Dublin. I imagine it would nearly be harder get the nation wide work there.

I was the same around 6 weeks between my C and E+C

Took me a good bit to actually get a start. It was through a lad I got to know from a totally different job and subtly pestered him when ever I meet him:D

It's a bit of a funny one when it might be a smaller company but prob be no harm with the bigger lads.

Sometimes politics can put a big divide between drivers and manager's with a smaller fleet where drivers are probably going to be looked after best they can anyway. But there are also places where TPM don't give two s##ts about drivers and need to be taken down a peg.

Plenty of operators around who need to be taken down a few pegs.

If it was a company with say, a fleet of more than 12 vehicles or something like that?

As you say, the smaller companies look after their drivers to keep them,whereas the bigger ones clearly have a high turnover of drivers because they are being so big headed.

Politics would be in the industry even without unions.

What is becoming more common now though is the owner themselves is the transport manager to save on the cost of hiring one.

Were you on the Mallow road outside Rathduff heading city bound at 09.10 this morning?

Couldn't see the reg as the sleet was so bad, a big difference to the weather outside at the moment.

• Advertisement

Are you based in Dublin. I imagine it would nearly be harder get the nation wide work there.

Took me a good bit to actually get a start. It was through a lad I got to know from a totally different job and subtly pestered him when ever I meet him:D

Ye both got them close together?

Where did i go wrong haha.

Over 3 years between my C and CE.

Got the D in between the 2 of them.

The other thing i was noticing was, even if you were in a company driving away on a rigid and got the artic during your time with them, even if they have artic's they won't put you into them.

I only got my break in artics due to a shortage with the company and my persistence in pushing for the position.

A 2013 DAF CF was my first artic.

Re Unions

I think representation would be positive. Smaller places are often ok. You do hear some stories about some bigger places (or used - when I was involved).

Is it true some places only pay for hours driven but yet you could be at work for 16 hours?

I have heard a certain very very large Irish firm based between Waterford and Wexford has had to start hiring Irish lads again and are now paying them a decent wage and are better looked after than when employed previously. Customers didn't like the other drivers I heard???

Minister wrote: »
    Re Unions

I think representation would be positive. Smaller places are often ok. You do hear some stories about some bigger places (or used - when I was involved).

Is it true some places only pay for hours driven but yet you could be at work for 16 hours?

I have heard a certain very very large Irish firm based between Waterford and Wexford has had to start hiring Irish lads again and are now paying them a decent wage and are better looked after than when employed previously. Customers didn't like the other drivers I heard???

Yes it is definitely needed i believe.

The bigger places are the problem.

There is a Cork based company doing Haz who only pay between €70-80 a day before tax in an artic, those could be 12 hour days.

I did a 16 hour shift once and got exactly the same money as if it were a 6 hour shift.

Good to hear that company is paying a decent wage, maybe the whole Monkeys/Peanuts thing was hitting home.

Without customers a company has no business, some don't realise that clearly.

Is this the FH you mean ðŸ˜!!!

th.jpg

Fine rig :cool:

fleet of battered aul yokes hauling red curtains with white writing?

neris wrote: »

Please......be kind😉😎!!!
    Also fridges/boxes with red writing.......
    Anyway, time to be movin on!!!!!!

Plenty of operators around who need to be taken down a few pegs.

If it was a company with say, a fleet of more than 12 vehicles or something like that?

As you say, the smaller companies look after their drivers to keep them,whereas the bigger ones clearly have a high turnover of drivers because they are being so big headed.

Politics would be in the industry even without unions.

What is becoming more common now though is the owner themselves is the transport manager to save on the cost of hiring one.

Were you on the Mallow road outside Rathduff heading city bound at 09.10 this morning?

Couldn't see the reg as the sleet was so bad, a big difference to the weather outside at the moment.

Think it can't be the owner but might get the wife or some other family member to do it.

No I was heading Rathduff direction out of city at that time. You seen the sister truck of mine id say

Think it can't be the owner but might get the wife or some other family member to do it.

No I was heading Rathduff direction out of city at that time. You seen the sister truck of mine id say
    I've just had a look at the operators licence website online of a well known Little Island based haulier who is sub-contracted for hazchem work.

The trucks and company are in his name while his wife is the transport manager.

You could be right.

EDIT:

I found another one where the owner is the transport manager.

I've just had a look at the operators licence website online of a well known Little Island based haulier who is sub-contracted for hazchem work.

The trucks and company are in his name while his wife is the transport manager.

You could be right.

EDIT:

I found another one where the owner is the transport manager.

It normally is someone else who is transport manager.
    Often thought about doing it just to have it and be a little more employable but it's a lot of money if your not going to use it.

• Advertisement

Often thought about doing it just to have it and be a little more employable but it's a lot of money if your not going to use it.

Pat Donovan is offering both courses for €1300 or €900 for one, that was the rate he offered me in 2013 but I couldn’t and still can’t afford it.

Tony Hynes of CPC does good deals as well and his courses are held in Mallow.

Would it really make one more attractive though?

I’ve seen people who have it banging on about the experience issue again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Dread seeing them lads at the gate. Very difficult to direct them to loading areas, usually end up in the wrong place. Incredible to see some trying to turn around the rig, never mind reversing. They do have some descent drivers, but few and far between.

Odelay wrote: »
    Dread seeing them lads at the gate. Very difficult to direct them to loading areas, usually end up in the wrong place. Incredible to see some trying to turn around the rig, never mind reversing. They do have some descent drivers, but few and far between.

Apparently they’ve gotten their act together some bit in recent years have they?

They still aren’t great but nothing near as bad as they were.

Apparently they’ve gotten their act together some bit in recent years have they?

If we're talking of the same crowd rumour says they have had insurance issues and VOSA issues in uk......allegedly..

If we're talking of the same crowd rumour says they have had insurance issues and VOSA issues in uk......allegedly..

I pity anybody who has been grabbed by VOSA.

Let’s just say all their trucks are WX reg’d ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

By Christ they would want to improve.

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »
    By Christ they would want to improve.

Are they still pro dominantly employing Eastern European drivers?

I’ve never met an Irish driver in my time working for them.

Any idea is the driver of this still with ye?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/9369941814/in/photolist-fgZpco-fgZpfW-eRsgi6-gWfQRt-81DheB-aSxGRk-deCtSH-dSL1j2-9uEzrJ-9fWks3-9XN7rV/

No.... But I don't think that's why he left. Long before my time.

The moven on boys really had to get it together. Every time there was word of an accident up that side of the country finger was pointed straight away and probably with good reason.

Id prefer to be stopped by VOSA then RSA at least the VOSA know what they are at.

No.... But I don't think that's why he left. Long before my time.

The moven on boys really had to get it together. Every time there was word of an accident up that side of the country finger was pointed straight away and probably with good reason.

Id prefer to be stopped by VOSA then RSA at least the VOSA know what they are at.

The load probably shifted i'd say.

Ah jesus, they had an awful reputation there at one stage.

Send the VOSA boys over here for a while and you'd see change happening.

I pity anybody who has been grabbed by VOSA.

my brother in law got pulled by vosa before xmas with a car transporter, they tested the trailer brakes and the brakes werent up to the weight he was pulling he had to unload 3 cars and was given 24 hours to get the brakes fixed. idiot fixed the brakes up himself rather then getting a mechanic out. He knew his boss wouldnt get a mechanic and we were telling him to park up and get to Manchester airport and on the next Ryanair flight to Dublin.

• Advertisement

my brother in law got pulled by vosa before xmas with a car transporter, they tested the trailer brakes and the brakes werent up to the weight he was pulling he had to unload 3 cars and was given 24 hours to get the brakes fixed. idiot fixed the brakes up himself rather then getting a mechanic out. He knew his boss wouldnt get a mechanic and we were telling him to park up and get to Manchester airport and on the next Ryanair flight to Dublin.

Was the truck grounded on the spot for the 24 hours?

i've heard some stories about them on CPC courses, they take no sh1t apparently.

You're right, he should have just dropped the truck and flew back.

My own father abandoned a truck in Italy 20 years ago and flew back.

Was the truck grounded on the spot for the 24 hours?

i've heard some stories about them on CPC courses, they take no sh1t apparently.

You're right, he should have just dropped the truck and flew back.

My own father abandoned a truck in Italy 20 years ago and flew back.

They kept him in their compound. They don't take any crap over there but I've heard if your nice to them they're nice to you but when you start acting up and having a strop they have their fun

They kept him in their compound. They don't take any crap over there but I've heard if your nice to them they're nice to you but when you start acting up and having a strop they have their fun

You wouldn’t see any of that here.

Stop Search Seize taught me a bit on that aspect despite being stopped myself on the road by the RSA previously.

They’ll always get their own way against a driver were they to play up.

Iv never really had much of an issue with the RSA except for usually what they come out with makes no sense and then they might contradict what they just said.

It has been rumoured that the RSA and vosa are working together.

If they are working together it really is necessary.

I have no objection whatsoever to the job they are doing as long as it is done correctly.

When i was stopped in Wexford, they just asked me what i had on board.

I said computers,they didn't even open up the back doors or the curtains to have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi guys, just a quick question about Irish-France transport.
    Roughly what's the cost for a fully laden attic on the ferry one way to France?

Depends on the haulier and how often they go in and out as the ferry booking can be the most expensive and time sensitive part. Nolans would probably be cheapest (once pavel the driver knows the difference between France & holland)

Nekarsulm wrote: »

A lot to take into consideration. Where in France is it going. What the cargo is, it's value weight.

You could have a trailer full to the hilt and you might only have 8 tonne in it or a 30 pallets at 28tonne.

You could always send a container:D

Let's say Rosslaire to Cherbourg, attic at 28 ton.

• Advertisement

Let's say Rosslaire to Cherbourg, attic at 28 ton.

The boat alone id say would be around €2000 return.

Are you looking to have something brought or curious.

No just curious. Been over and back with cars and more recently a few times with a campervan, and wondered how they charged.

No just curious. Been over and back with cars and more recently a few times with a campervan, and wondered how they charged.

How big is the camper. Converted van or camper body.. would it be 400.

€952

bren11 wrote: »
    €952

That one way plus vat

That one way plus vat

Roughly €1170 all in

That one way plus vat

Details as follows:
    Departure port Rosslare
    Arrival port Cherbourg
    Departure date 03/02/18
    Departure time 16:30
    Vehicle Reg Add reg.
    Length (in metres) 16.5
    SUB TOTAL
    Rate €935.00
    Fuel €17.49
    Passengers €0.00
    Extras €0.00
    TOTAL (EXC VAT)
    €952.49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Why do truck drivers not be more helpfully to each other while trying to overtake? Takes ages for one to get around..

And does the green light on back of cab mean abs is or is not working?

Thanks

Why do truck drivers not be more helpfully to each other while trying to overtake? Takes ages for one to get around..

And does the green light on back of cab mean abs is or is not working?

Thanks

I’m as courteous as one can be.

I’m off for a few months now, but on my return I’ll be no different.

Truckers aren’t called ‘the kings of the road’ for nothing.

But yes I have had some bad experiences with fellow truckers.

Any chance of a free breakfast if I’m in weatherfield sometime Roy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭audiavantawx

Ye i know exactly what you mean,seems to always come back to what i was saying before about the knowing somebody to get your foot in the door

That was a fast turnaround alright the 6 weeks,fair play

Cork Truck Driver
    I too have the D licence,all it means to me is sitting another 7 hours of torture in cpcs ha
    Not sure why i got the licence because dealing with the public is bad for your mental health ha

Didnt realise it was that hard even when you were in a place to get a start in the artics,i taugt they might just take a spin out with you for a few days to make sure you know what your at and maybe stick you on a handy run for a couple of weeks,wishful thinking on my behalf

Advertisement