Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC 1070 change sms number

Options
  • 03-01-2018 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there
    hoping someone can help me out here....last resort!
    Previous owners of my house had installed hkc 1070 alarm, which also has a GSM-q card configured. Alarm is working fine, but I want to get the phone numbers that get the alerts from the GSM unit changed.
    I have no contact with previous owners, and I dont have the engineering code. I rang HKC and they told me they couldnt deal with me and I had to ring an installer. I rang the installer, whose name is on the bellbox, and he told me he doesnt give out the eng. code and it will be a callout with a charge of €85+VAT....just to change the phone number!

My only other option would seem to be to do a factory reset (assuming it's not eng. locked!)Have degree in eletronics and work in comp. hardware so this would be no problem
    My question is if I do a reset, what settings do I need to re-programme. Presumably the zones, and the dialler numbers, but are there other settings I need to change from defaults ?
    thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Reprogramming shouldn't be a problem to a man of your expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aido100

Reprogramming shouldn't be a problem to a man of your expertise.

Thanks for that...Never said i was an alarm expert... Was just looking for a bit of advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Captain Vanderbolt

As an installer with over 20 years experience I’d strongly suggest breaking into the ole confo money and getting a trained expert to sort your system out. 85 yoyos is chump change when it comes to peace of mind. Just my opinion.

aido100 wrote: »
    Thanks for that...Never said i was an alarm expert... Was just looking for a bit of advice

It will break your heart to do it properly. It'll be the best €80 you'll spend this year.

Fair enough...but i think its a bit of a rip off. Im being charged over 100euro (with vat) for a guy to come out and change the phone num that gets the sms messages,because he has the eng code and i dont.
    I wouldnt exactly call that value for money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

This engineer code is probably common on all of that companies systems.
    So if it was given to you, not only could you access your system but all their others as well.
    Now I do not doubt your honesty of course but that code in the wrong hands could be very dangerous.

Get the guy to give the system a once over while he is there, that might give you some value for money.

Also you do not know where he is coming from to get to your house, how long might he be driving?

Fair enough...but i think its a bit of a rip off. Im being charged over 100euro (with vat) for a guy to come out and change the phone num that gets the sms messages,because he has the eng code and i dont.

The bottom line is that you're not going to get the code so you have three choices.

1. Get the original installer out and pay him.

2. Get another installer out who'll do it cheaper.

3. Reset it yourself and reprogramme it and save some wonga.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Captain Vanderbolt

Do you have insurance to cover public loss of property to the tune of 5 million? I bet he does. Do you have NSAI certification? I bet he does. Have you been Garda vetted and checked out by the PSA? I bet he has. These costs all add up. As for the engineer code? In the wrong hands they can be dangerous. Criminals and have a go hero’s. Besides, the sms list is controlled by the end user and not the engineer. But I’m sure you would have figured that out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

OP the call out charge is not over €100, the vat rate on that call is 13.5% not 23%, he will not be supplying any equipment therefore the lower vat rate applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

My only other option would seem to be to do a factory reset (assuming it's not eng. locked!)Have degree in eletronics and work in comp. hardware so this would be no problem

If you try the default and it works you can just reset the codes as opposed to a full default.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    If you try the default and it works you can just reset the codes as opposed to a full default.

Ok thanks, i'll give it a go so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fenster18

Firstly it’s not just to change a number.
    An engineer has to get in his van, drive to you, use his knowledge and expertise to carry out your request, get back in his van.
    If it took him an hour to get to you and an hour to get back , possibly an hour on site , that’s nearly half a days work for 85 Euro.
    He needs to pay for tax , insurance, PSA licensing, quality audits. Pl and el insurance. Tools etc etc etc
    Would you work for that??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

Ok thanks, i'll give it a go so.

No problem, hopefully that will do the trick.

Advertisement