Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cock Pheasant Shooting

Options
  • 03-01-2018 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Guys and Gals,

I was kindly invited to go shooting pheasant with a work friend. I shoot alot of clays but have never gone hunting with a shotgun. I was just wondering if there's a license I need to shoot them? Or am I good to go with him? He has permissions all taken care of so that's not a problem.

I had a quick look on the national parks and wildlife service page and the only pheasant related page was about shooting pen raises hen pheasants.

Am I right to assume there isn't a license needed?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

A game licence is required to shoot game.

Once your shotgun licence is not a "vermin only" licence (farmers used get them for shooting vermin on their own land at a reduced licence fee) your shotgun licence is also your game licence.

However, if the licence was applied for & granted solely for clay shooting I'm not sure the game licence is automatically on it?

Did you tick game shooting on the application? If you did I reckon your covered.

I assume you have insurance? Landowners wouldn't be too happy if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Once your shotgun licence is not a "vermin only" licence (farmers used get them for shooting vermin on their own land at a reduced licence fee) your shotgun licence is also your game licence.

However, if the licence was applied for & granted solely for clay shooting I'm not sure the game licence is automatically on it?

Did you tick game shooting on the application? If you did I reckon your covered.

No such thing as a game licence anymore its all rolled into the gun licence once you have the gun licence you can shoot whatever is legal to shoot with that gun
    Absolutely nothing stopping you taking your clay gun out hunting same goes for bringing your hunting shotgun to the clay grounds
    Good point on the insurance though youll need this to go hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jack0106

Right right, as far as I can remember I dont think I ticked the game box. How do I go about rectifying it? FAC2 form? And yeah I have insurance and all that jazz

No such thing as a game licence anymore its all rolled into the gun licence once you have the gun licence you can shoot whatever is legal to shoot with that gun
    Absolutely nothing stopping you taking your clay gun out hunting same goes for bringing your hunting shotgun to the clay grounds
    Good point on the insurance though youll need this to go hunting

So am I in the clear?

Jack0106 wrote: »

I assume you have insurance? Landowners wouldn't be too happy if you don't.[/quote

Right right, as far as I can remember I dont think I ticked the game box. How do I go about rectifying it? FAC2 form? And yeah I have insurance and all that jazz

Your sound work away just dont use clay cartriidges :P

• Advertisement

Your sound work away just dont use clay cartriidges :P

Ah excellent, thanks man, I'm really looking forward to it. Are there bag limits? Also I was gonna go with some 34 or 36 gram #5 or 6s. What you reckon?

Ah excellent, thanks man, I'm really looking forward to it. Are there bag limits? Also I was gonna go with some 34 or 36 gram #5 or 6s. What you reckon?

No bag limit at all . those cartridges will do you sound thats what most lads use some use #4s but its not needed

No bag limit at all . those cartridges will do you sound thats what most lads use some use #4s but its not needed

Fantisitazmo 😋 thanks for all the help guys

If you didn't tick the "game" box as I said I'm not sure your technically covered for the game licence. TBH, until you asked I never thought about it ;)
    No bag limit at all .

There might be if it's on club grounds but your host will know what/if there is/may be ;)

If you didn't tick the "game" box as I said I'm not sure your technically covered for the game licence. TBH, until you asked I never thought about it ;)

There might be if it's on club grounds but your host will know what/if there is/may be ;)

I might take a trip down the local cop shop and enquire about it, I know the season ends on the 31st so hopefully if it has to be amended that it could be done rather quickly.

• Advertisement

I might take a trip down the local cop shop and enquire about it, I know the season ends on the 31st so hopefully if it has to be amended that it could be done rather quickly.

TBH, the chances of it becoming an issue are slim if it even is an issue ;)

TBH, the chances of it becoming an issue are slim if it even is an issue ;)

Yeah maybe, I wouldn't want to unintentionally get in trouble though. You know Ireland and it's naive attitude towards firearms. I was looking on the NPWS website and it doesn't say anything about game licenses. Only about legalities on waterfowl and that hunters must have a valid deer license. https://www.npws.ie/licences/hunting and https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/open-seasons-order[url][/url]

Yeah maybe, I wouldn't want to unintentionally get in trouble though. You know Ireland and it's naive attitude towards firearms. I was looking on the NPWS website and it doesn't say anything about game licenses. Only about legalities on waterfowl and that hunters must have a valid deer license. https://www.npws.ie/licences/hunting[/QUOTE

Like i said there is no such thing as a game licence if you have a shotgun you should be sound the only restriction is you cant shoot them with a rifle or a shotgun holding more than 2 cartridges (2+1) or a shotgun with a sound moderator fitted work away
    The only problem you will have is the clay gun will feel heavy at the end of the day :D

Yeah maybe, I wouldn't want to unintentionally get in trouble though.

Same as myself ;) Bad enough if you do intentionally :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The funny thing with insurance or compensation fund membership like all NARGC members have is not compulsory. It's perfectly legal to go out shooting without any liability cover in place but I wouldn't advise anyone to do that.

The funny thing with insurance or compensation fund membership like all NARGC members have is not compulsory. It's perfectly legal to go out shooting without any liability cover in place but I wouldn't advise anyone to do that.

Oh really? I didn't know that, I got it either way. For that "just in case scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Oh really? I didn't know that, I got it either way. For that "just in case scenario

Irish shooting sports including hunting has a very healthy safety record but applying the cya principle for that just in case incident is a wise move.

Advertisement