Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A beginner's guide for buying insurance?

Options
  • 03-01-2018 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I just turned 30 and I am looking into buying my first ever used car. I looked at boards for buying and selling and there is a neat guide for what to look for when buying your first used car that I found really useful. However there doesn't seem to be an equivalent when it comes to buying insurance. Atleast not one that I can see stickied up on top. Can anyone give me any useful pointers?

A bit about myself:
    - never held a drivers license before
    - currently on learners permit, will be eligible for a drivers test on the 13th March 2018
    - due to the above two, never held a motor insurance before (naturally)
    - looking to buy a car for about 2000 euros
    - models I have in mind are the BMW 318 and the Audi A4
    - a friend of mine told me to look for smaller engine sizes (~1l) for cheaper insurance, but these are 2l; what would the differential in insurance premiums be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some insurers will restrict learner permit drivers to cars 1.6 and below, you will struggle in general to get cover for a 2 litre car with no previous driving experience.

Get some 1 litre runaround for a year, pass the test with it and then get something else.

Advertisement