Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work have given me too many holidays.

Options
  • 03-01-2018 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,

I am finishing work on the 26th January 2018. My contract says I should have 21 days of holidays per annum pro rata. Since I'm finished on the 26th of January I should not have the full 21 days holidays for the year, however according to the system in work I do. I SHOULD have roughy 1 or 2 days holidays for the next few weeks.

So what do I do? It's possible that the people working in payroll are too incompetent to realise until after I'm gone. I'm not expecting to get paid for these holidays once I leave as that would be ridiculous. However I am thinking of taking off a week between now and January 26th.

What do you think? Will they realise after I'm gone and try to deduct the money from my last paycheck? Should I say nothing and see if they are idiotic enough to pay me those outstanding holidays once I leave?

I know this is cheeky but hey, if they want to throw money at me that's okay. I'm not expecting to walk out of this with extra money but if there's a small chance I'll risk it!

Kind regards,

John Doe

Comments

They haven’t given you too many holidays
    When you leave they will calculate what you are owed, or what you owe them
    So if you manage to take a week off between now and then, you will be docked money

• Registered Users Posts: 34,995 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Or on the opposite side, if you have days remaining that you haven't taken, then you get paid extra.

This is how most major companies work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

JohnDoe416 wrote:
    So what do I do? It's possible that the people working in payroll are too incompetent to realise until after I'm gone. I'm not expecting to get paid for these holidays once I leave as that would be ridiculous. However I am thinking of taking off a week between now and January 26th.

If you took a minute to think through your thought process to its logical conclusion then your colleagues would not be entitled to book their sunset holidays until mid year if they wanted to book two weeks off abroad.

So maybe payroll are the incompetent ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

standard practice in most work place systems is to give full allowance of holiday leave at the start of the new year. If you leave before the end of that year (which you are) pay roll will adjust accordingly, if you owe them days/hours it will be deducted from your pay. In short no you wont get away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnDoe416

Okay thanks guys, thanks for letting me know 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My advice is only take whatever days you are actually due.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

There is also the possibility that, given that you are finishing on Jan 26th, your employer may not allow you to take the week off!

Advertisement