Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Credit Union losing it’s “local” feel

• 03-01-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

I’ve become disenchanted with going into my local CU. I’ve an excellent savings history there since I opened an account when I was a child. I usually keep approx. 10000 in it although the dividend, like most places is terrible. However, the last few occasions when I have lodged money (50euro cheques from prize bonds), the grief I have gotten from the tellers has been so off putting. They asked numerous questions re the cheques (e.g. where did you get the cheque?????) They have asked me for proof of address which has been given a number of times already this year. As a result, I have dramatically reduced my visits. Today, when I went in for the first time in 4 months, they asked me AGAIN for proof of my address. I politely said that I had given it during the year and received my bank statement from the CU only recently with my address on it. She said that this was insufficient. My local CU feels like it’s lost the personal touch. What makes this all the more confusing is the fact that a lovely neighbor works in this CU and knows where I live. Needless to say, she NEVER asks for my POA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

honeybear wrote: »
    I’ve become disenchanted with going into my local CU. I’ve an excellent savings history there since I opened an account when I was a child. I usually keep approx. 10000 in it although the dividend, like most places is terrible. However, the last few occasions when I have lodged money (50euro cheques from prize bonds), the grief I have gotten from the tellers has been so off putting. They asked numerous questions re the cheques (e.g. where did you get the cheque?????) They have asked me for proof of address which has been given a number of times already this year. As a result, I have dramatically reduced my visits. Today, when I went in for the first time in 4 months, they asked me AGAIN for proof of my address. I politely said that I had given it during the year and received my bank statement from the CU only recently with my address on it. She said that this was insufficient. My local CU feels like it’s lost the personal touch. What makes this all the more confusing is the fact that a lovely neighbor works in this CU and knows where I live. Needless to say, she NEVER asks for my POA.

They are required to do this under current financial crime legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

McGaggs wrote: »

I am aware of that, but I get a much friendlier reception from the other banks in my town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

McGaggs wrote: »

I am aware of that, but I get a much friendlier reception from the other banks in my town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You should not have to provide proof of address every time you make a transaction. Perhaps make an appointment with the Manager and ask for an explanation.

Advertisement