Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown Bin for food (I have none)

• 03-01-2018 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

Coming from a 2 year working and living in Germany we used to have a brown bin to throw away food waste (also a paper bin and the grey bin). According to this in Ireland :
    http://www.brownbin.ie/

I should have an outside brown bin by my waste collector.

I live in a house court with a lot of apartments and there are bins (grey ones and the general recycling ones) but no brown one.

What should I do with the food waste ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ulfilas wrote:
    What should I do with the food waste ?

Have you asked your provider about a brown bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ulfilas

Well there about 100 people served from the provider, who am I to ask for a brown bin, and will this come with a charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If there are communal bins there aren't brown bins and you put food waste in the grey bins. They don't do communal brown bins as they would be massively unsanitary.

They don't do communal brown bins as they would be massively unsanitary."

An 80 millions country has communal brown bins without falling to massive unsanitary environments. This has no relation to human reality but answers my question for this specific issue.

So no communal brown bin in Dublin, Ireland, ok thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

When I was doing the bins some apartment blocks did have some compost bins, 140/240L bins.

They were taken away eventually as people were putting domestic waste into them so they had to revert to 1100L rubbish and recycling bins only.

• Advertisement

Well that did not happen in other places I lived so this must be something local, but anyway what can one do this is sad, <snip>

Mod: Unhelpful comment deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

<snip>
    Mod: Unhelpful comment deleted
    Is there management company/residents association you could approach re the bins or if you have your own bins just contact your service provider.

Well I do not go about with a brown bin or bins in particular when moving from one house to another.

I communicate with my Real Estate agency since according to the brown bin pdf it is supposed to be illegal to throw food waste in the grey bin so maybe we can get one brown bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

You wouldn't believe the amount of people that put waste in the brown bin. If you do manage to get one I'd say the chance of someone putting waste in it is highly likely.

Already added something about that. It is because nobody told them to not do that or there is some other problem, having lived 2 years in Germany I never ever show waste in the brown bin as one could throw his waste in the Grey bin and his paper in the blue bin.

Why is it so difficult to do this here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

ulfilas wrote: »
    Already added something about that. It is because nobody told them to not do that or there is some other problem, having lived 2 years in Germany I never ever show waste in the brown bin as one could throw his waste in the Grey bin and his paper in the blue bin.

Why is it so difficult to do this here?

Because it is new, relatively speaking. A large proportion of green bins also have general waste. We don't have a culture of separating waste, it's not so long since everyone only had one bin. It is slowly changing. I remember doing a project in school about recycling and waste separation in Germany almost 25 years ago. My development only got green bins 10 years ago.

Advertisement