Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Ring Doorbell in Limerick

Options
  • 03-01-2018 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Anyone out there able to set up a Ring Doorbell in Limerick? My dad bought one, and when I was home for Christmas I tried to set it up for him - but failed! He is with Virgin Media. It would be super if someone out there could set it up, and show him how it works. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Set one up myself.

You'll need a phone / tablet.

This video should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ValerieH

me_irl wrote: »
    Set one up myself.

You'll need a phone / tablet.

This video should help.

Thank you for reply, I downloaded the app easily, the issue was that Ring did not recognize the WiFi in the house. I did contact Virgin Media to change the channel on the router to 6 as suggested on other forums, but this did not resolve anything for me.

ValerieH wrote: »
    Thank you for reply, I downloaded the app easily, the issue was that Ring did not recognize the WiFi in the house. I did contact Virgin Media to change the channel on the router to 6 as suggested on other forums, but this did not resolve anything for me.

My router is by the front window and the signal is still just "OK". So it might need to be set up right beside the router and then put up on the wall.

I had to use the Android App WiFi analyser to see a channel that had the least "noise" (interference from neighbouring devices).

You can get in to the router and change the channel by going to 192.168.0.1 in any browser (chrome, firefox). Then go to Advanced Settings - Wireless - Wireless Signal.

Thank you for reply me-irl, and your suggestions. Unfortunately i’m based in Wicklow, so not in a position to try them out for now. I know who I could ask in Wicklow to set up locally, so I was hoping there would be someone in Limerick that could do the same and explain to my dad how it works.

Thank you for reply me-irl, and your suggestions. Unfortunately i’m based in Wicklow, so not in a position to try them out for now. I know who I could ask in Wicklow to set up locally, so I was hoping there would be someone in Limerick that could do the same and explain to my dad how it works.

No worries. I understand your situation (and frustration!).

It might be an idea to post to the regional forum too.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=476

• Advertisement

Good idea, will try that! Thanks me_irl

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to Home Security Systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Do you know what modem you are trying to connect too?
    If it has 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

You can also contact Ring and ask for a chime pro which the doorbell will connect to easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If they have an existing door bell then it's should wore into it and operate the existing chime.

What model is it ?

I find these units can be flakey to set up. My first one went like a dream, the second one not so much.

All that said it's 50 50 if it connects to the doorbell first time around for random live viewing.

Still a fantastic unit.

I'm not sure you'll get someone from here

Maybe look at the PSA website and call some local contractors and ask them.

I've decent wifi on the road outside my house. The ring units can be tricky sometimes

Davy wrote: »
    Do you know what modem you are trying to connect too?
    If it has 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

You can also contact Ring and ask for a chime pro which the doorbell will connect to easier.

Thanks, I’ll check the modem next time i’m Back in Limerick , and contact Ring if it still doesn’t connect after the suggestions here.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    If they have an existing door bell then it's should wore into it and operate the existing chime.

What model is it ?

I find these units can be flakey to set up. My first one went like a dream, the second one not so much.

All that said it's 50 50 if it connects to the doorbell first time around for random live viewing.

Still a fantastic unit.

I'm not sure you'll get someone from here

Maybe look at the PSA website and call some local contractors and ask them.

I've decent wifi on the road outside my house. The ring units can be tricky sometimes

Thanks, I think the unit is fine as I brought it to Wicklow where I live to test it, and it picked up the WiFi first time - just didn’t work in Limerick even when I had Ring a foot away from the modem!

I’ll ask my dad to get a Virgin media engineer out and they can make sure the WiFi signal is the best it can be, and use boosters where needed!

Appreciate the advice, and glad to hear you are happy with your unit.

ValerieH wrote:
    Appreciate the advice, and glad to hear you are happy with your unit.

Yeah it's good when the door bell rings and as an indicator that someone is in the garden

I added an iot button on the phone to boost the WiFi signal to the doorbell when I wanted random live views

I think this "wakes" the device up as it has that delay when the doorbell calls the camera so

So if you want to look at your dad's house every now and then be prepared for a couple of tries before it connects.

So just a couple .

What model is it ?
    Has it a battery ?
    Do you know the voltage of the transformer on you dad's house.

Or are you planning to charge it periodically and use it with a ring chime ?

Stoner wrote: »
    So just a couple .

What model is it ?
    Has it a battery ?
    Do you know the voltage of the transformer on you dad's house.

Or are you planning to charge it periodically and use it with a ring chime ?

Hi Stoner, i’m In Wicklow while my dad is in Limerick with the Ring Doorbell. If I ask him your questions his head is likely to explode!

Advertisement